Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We can be prompted to make a move and not panic at the same time.  Kjerstad and Norby are spare parts for this season.  Why jeopardize a year where we have Adley, Gunnar, and Holliday, all on the same team?  Look at the pick won with Gunnar as a bonus.  Then hope that Holliday can win a pick.  

We have Adley, Gunnar and Holliday for the next 4 years, not just 2024.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now Kjerstad is ticketed for AAA.  He's no longer a luxury.  Just like Norby.  We need to use these prospects as currency now.  Can't afford not to, unless we're going to pony up for Snell/Montgomery.  

You don't think he's taking Hicks' spot?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

We can be prompted to make a move and not panic at the same time.  Kjerstad and Norby are spare parts for this season.  Why jeopardize a year where we have Adley, Gunnar, and Holliday, all on the same team?  Look at the pick won with Gunnar as a bonus.  Then hope that Holliday can win a pick.  

At some point you don't sacrifice the future for the now.  I'm not saying Kjerstad does that, but they sure seem to think he's not someone they are wanting to move.  As to Holiday, there is no guarantees he's actually on this team this year, at least not much.  I'm not one that buys into the hype of him making the OD roster or of even being up early after a few weeks in AAA.  We will see of course.  

Point is the 'prompted to make a move' is all on US, as we are just now finding this information out.  The time for Elias to be prompted by this was earlier when he knew Bradish was hurt and that Means is behind schedule.  Just because it was released to us today doesn't really change the calculation by Elias, nor should it.  A bad deal yesterday is still a bad deal today, the fact that the public knows about it now shouldn't change that.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just looked on the Sox board and the actual insider they have on there seemed to hint that a Cease trade is at least possible.

Sure, it's still possible.  But not any more or less possible than it was 24 hours ago.  This becoming public knowledge isn't going to change anything for Elias.  Now if we find out Means is out longer than expected or when Bradish starts his throwing process and has setbacks/more issues, THEN maybe the scale chances and Elias makes a different move, but this isn't news to Elias, so don't see it making much a change.  

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Sure, it's still possible.  But not any more or less possible than it was 24 hours ago.  This becoming public knowledge isn't going to change anything for Elias.  Now if we find out Means is out longer than expected or when Bradish starts his throwing process and has setbacks/more issues, THEN maybe the scale chances and Elias makes a different move, but this isn't news to Elias, so don't see it making much a change.  

Well, we don’t know that he hasn’t still been talking to them about Cease.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well, we don’t know that he hasn’t still been talking to them about Cease.

I'm sure he has been, really.  My only point is that everyone is panicking and freakout about the news, while the fact is Elias has known all of this for a while.  This news breaking hasn't, and shouldn't, have changed what Elias is willing to offer or trade.  Now if we get more NEW bad news (Bradish has more pain after starting to throw again, Means has additional setbacks, etc) THEN the scales could change and make Elias perhaps open the prospect checkbook wider.  But the news that's new to us isn't new to him, he's already factored all of it into his decision making process in considering what is a good trade for the Os for Cease.  

15 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

We have Adley, Gunnar and Holliday for the next 4 years, not just 2024.

Wasting even a single year of that trio would be incredibly negligent, IMO. 

They need to add someone to the OD rotation, but it doesn't have to be Cease- a much more modest 1 year FA pickup like Ryu, Lorenzen, or Clevinger would be fine with me.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Wasting even a single year of that trio would be incredibly negligent, IMO. 

They need to add someone to the OD rotation, but it doesn't have to be Cease- a much more modest 1 year FA pickup like Ryu, Lorenzen, or Clevinger would be fine with me.

I think they'll supplement depending on the severity of the injuries. The fact that they haven't done so already gives me some confidence in their assessment that both players will have a role in 2024. I think the guys you listed would be fine.

I'll be honest though, I know it's not realistic (at least until new ownership is in) but I still can't believe they couldn't responsibly fit an additional $20-$25m for 4-5 years in the payroll while those core guys are still cheap and go and get Montgomery.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You don't think he's taking Hicks' spot?

Hilliard is the Hicks replacement.  We just basically extended O'Hearn.  Trading Kjerstad, Norby, and a 3rd piece, for Cease isn't a panic move.  It's a smart move.  

We have all of our "guys" up on this team together now.  Kjerstad, and Norby, have no clear path to everyday bats.  Elias has acquired depth to help replace Kjerstad and Norby recently.  O'Hearn option negotied, waiver trades for Infielders Nevin, Maton, and Soto.  It hurts to see those guys go, but it will hurt less than losing this season.  

It's not a panic move.  Just resource allocation.  Grow the bats, buy the arms.  This has always been the plan.  Time to buy again.  

Edited by sportsfan8703