ROY manipulation

MarCakes21

Given that there's a pipeline of top hitting prospects coming up, I have to imagine that Elias likes his chances to continue to add the extra draft pick with top ROY honors.  The big question though is how he will manipulate this concept.  He has 4 very capable potential winners over the next 3 years in my mind:

- Kjerstad

- Holliday

- Mayo

- Basallo

The nice part is they're all hitters.  Much more likely to win ROY honors that pitchers given history.

The hard part about this is one could take away from the others votes in a given year.  So he may try to stagger with no more than 2 per year.  So how would you manipulate call ups to support this.  My thoughts:

- Kjerstad start the season, Mayo (assuming space) mid season

- Holliday called up in August maintaining eligibility for 2025

- Basallo called up August 2025 maintaining eligibility for 2026

The other thought is that Elias won't care about manipulation and just put the best product on the field.

• Upvote 1

Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad, and Cowser should all get a shot at regular playing time this year. None of them should be limited to <130 AB's just to preserve rookie status for next year. I also don't think they need to start on the opening day roster. 

If there is any opportunity for manipulation, it would be to slow play this group to ensure they don't finish #2 and lose the extra year like we did with Adley! I doubt they will do that but you never know. 

If trying to get the pick, Basallo will be a candidate next year so slow playing this year's group will only cause more competition against ourselves next year. 

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think only Basallo will be eligible in 2025 and no one for 2026, at least not amongst the names listed.

Enrique Bradfield in 2026 could have some nice counting stats on a high scoring group, if his 2025 deployment becomes the same 129 at-bats Basallo may get this year.   

Everybody else I could see 200, 400 or 600 happening, but Basallo 129 max you can put in ink if he doesn't stagnate.      Few 18 year olds have done what he did in A ball so optimism is easy, but you never know.

Edited by Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Enrique Bradfield in 2026 could have some nice counting stats on a high scoring group, if his 2025 deployment becomes the same 129 at-bats Basallo may get this year.   

Everybody else I could see 200, 400 or 600 happening, but Basallo 129 max you can put in ink if he doesn't stagnate.      Few 18 year olds have done what he did in A ball so optimism is easy, but you never know.

If Bradfield is eligible in 2026, that will be a disappointment.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think optimizing your roster to win games is more important than trying to win an extra draft pick.

There have been quite the batch of really talented players vying for RoY in recent history. 

Right.  Trying to manipulate the ROY shouldn’t be a priority.  If it happens, great.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If Bradfield is eligible in 2026, that will be a disappointment.

Cedric Mullins' legs will probably give out before the end of 2025 but if they hold together the lineup could be tough to break into.

I agree he would be Masataka Yoshida-ish by then, but they don't age control.     

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cedric Mullins' legs will probably give out before the end of 2025 but if they hold together the lineup could be tough to break into.

I agree he would be Masataka Yoshida-ish by then, but they don't age control.     

Bradfield, if he’s going to be as good as we and the Os hope, should end the year in AAA this year and ready to be the OD CFer  in 2025.

Edited by Sports Guy