Orioles Claim Diego Castillo, Designate Livan Soto

oriolediehard

4 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

The 26-year-old Castillo has bounced from the D-backs, to the Mets, to the Yankees, to the Phillies and now to the Orioles all in the span of two months.

At this point, he probably feels more like a ping pong ball than a baseball player. 

At least he's still in Florida for Spring Training.

Can you imagine being a fringe guy and having to move back and forth?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

The 26-year-old Castillo has bounced from the D-backs, to the Mets, to the Yankees, to the Phillies and now to the Orioles all in the span of two months.

At this point, he probably feels more like a ping pong ball than a baseball player. 

He’s the 2024 version of Lewin Diaz.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t really get the musical chairs type moves. I guess Elias has fun with this type of roster manipulation. I doubt either one of these guys has much of a MLB career.

We’re just incrementally improving our depth. The hope is that we never even need to use these guys in the majors, but you never know what might happen with injuries. If two or more of our infielders go down around the same time, we’re looking a little thin now that Ortiz is gone. 

2 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

We’re just incrementally improving our depth. The hope is that we never even need to use these guys in the majors, but you never know what might happen with injuries. If two or more of our infielders go down around the same time, we’re looking a little thin now that Ortiz is gone. 

I don’t have a problem with playing games with the 39th/40th spots on the roster. It’s just amusing.

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t have a problem with playing games with the 39th/40th spots on the roster. It’s just amusing.

I like it. Depth is always important and it’s not really costing us anything. If there’s someone you can claim that you like more than the guy in that 40th spot, why not? 

The BP Annual touted his extreme contact rate - here he is 3rd in last year's PCL at lowest swinging strike rate:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=4&stats=bat&qual=y&type=2&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=15,-1

Adam Frazier-y!

If I telescope that out to All Affliiated Minor League and 500 PA, he's 7th, Dylan Beavers 26th, Cesar Prieto 38th and Jackson Holliday 46th among Orioles past and present.     Beavers lack of swing and miss gets more interesting every time I see it.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

The BP Annual touted his extreme contact rate - here he is 3rd in last year's PCL at lowest swinging strike rate:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=4&stats=bat&qual=y&type=2&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=15,-1

Adam Frazier-y!

If I telescope that out to All Affliiated Minor League and 500 PA, he's 7th, Dylan Beavers 26th, Cesar Prieto 38th and Jackson Holliday 46th among Orioles past and present.     Beavers lack of swing and miss gets more interesting every time I see it.

He just display power ….so guys will cheat taking away LDs that should be singles. Unless he could be the second coming of Wade Boggs