Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

You guys know he’s likely to have a civil rape trial this summer in Arizona right?

Can you really imagine the orioles signing him during a transitional ownership period? 

You know the Japanese leagues he’s been pitching in are not as good as the major league?

Edited by brooooksy

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Nice try Grandpa. 

Instagram has 2+ billion monthly active users; TikTok has 1+ billion monthly active users.

You think there are 2B cool kids in the world?  😉

Facebook has over 3 billion monthly active users, no one thinks Facebook is cool.

Edited by Can_of_corn

On 2/16/2024 at 8:11 PM, TopGunnar said:

Orioles have been a top 5 worst team in sports the last 25 years. We have  a World Series contending team. But people in here won’t want to add Bauer because of his personal life and what the media has told them. Laugh out loud. 

Lol. Try the pirates, reds, mariners, rockies, padres before you even start looking looking at the other big 4 sports. It’s probably because he’s not the elite pitchers that chuds like to imagine he is and he’s a major distraction on YouTube and his constant court cases. I’m sure rosenstein would be thrilled with the headline “Baltimore orioles pitcher rape trial begins” this July.

4 hours ago, Malike said:

I can't speak for other agencies as I'm sure SOP is quite different for each but it basically boils down to who makes the complaint. If a person calls the Police on their spouse/partner saying they were assaulted, etc. it's generally the accused who gets removed from the area.

Even if you can't charge someone on the spot due to lack of evidence, you cannot leave the accused in the area. They are often "arrested" (detained) and then they go to our DV Detectives to investigate the claims. Both parties are usually brought to the station to try to get the full picture during interviews.

It is different here, as far as procedures go. We do the majority of things at the scene, if possible. If PC was established and arrest was made, Detectives generally play a role after the fact, behind the scenes in these DV cases. They support the victim in any appropriate way, show them how to take advantage of different services and programs.

Here in Florida, it used to be when I started that if the victim made statements that the suspect battered them, that, in and of itself, was probable cause to arrest. The law was clear; the officer “shall arrest.” Even if it may not have been corroborated by physical evidence, and regardless of whether or not the victim desired prosecution. The State is the victim in DV cases. It has evolved over time, but for many many years that was the law. 

39 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

No it wouldn’t.  He had no reason to make those statements publicly.  

It would be foolish to take the words of anonymous sources over what Mookie said publicly. 

Maybe he didn't want to create drama for no reason? 

Anonymous sources are more likely to be candid. 

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is different here, as far as procedures go. We do the majority of things at the scene, if possible. If PC was established and arrest was made, Detectives generally play a role after the fact, behind the scenes in these DV cases. They support the victim in any appropriate way, show them how to take advantage of different services and programs.

Here in Florida, it used to be when I started that if the victim made statements that the suspect battered them, that, in and of itself, was probable cause to arrest. The law was clear; the officer “shall arrest.” Even if it may not have been corroborated by physical evidence, and regardless of whether or not the victim desired prosecution. The State is the victim in DV cases. It has evolved over time, but for many many years that was the law. 

We have civilian DV and VR advocates who follow up the next day and also offer resources. NYS is rightfully concerned if the parties aren't separated and despite not establishing PC that if they let the accused back in the dwelling and something awful happens, they don't want the liability. A lot does happen on the scene, checking for OOP's and past DIR's etc. The laws in NY changed at the end of 2023, there is a lot that goes into it now, and rightfully so. 

MPTC Model Policy-Law Enforcement Domestic Incident.pdf (ny.gov)

image.thumb.png.24c9bda36f10707311c444aeeb1c255f.png

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

We have civilian DV and VR advocates who follow up the next day and also offer resources. NYS is rightfully concerned if the parties aren't separated and despite not establishing PC that if they let the accused back in the dwelling and something awful happens, they don't want the liability. A lot does happen on the scene, checking for OOP's and past DIR's etc. The laws in NY changed at the end of 2023, there is a lot that goes into it now, and rightfully so. 

MPTC Model Policy-Law Enforcement Domestic Incident.pdf (ny.gov)

I agree with separating them, absolutely. Thanks for the info. I teach Criminal Justice now at a high school. It is interesting to compare state laws to ours. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MDS29 said:

At risk of getting in trouble with the board, it is pretty fascinating how this subject is dividing the board, MLB and society. It feels like a political question almost, like a pro-life/pro-choice thing - but it isn't, I'm not sure of Bauer's politics and frankly don't care about them. 

Outside of baseball reasons, which I believe are the only valid reason to not sign Bauer (signs of regression in a lesser league in Japan) - when you read the reasonings of why certain fans, posters, and journalists don't want an MLB team to sign Bauer, you soon realize that there is not a single burden of proof he could ever provide to convince them he deserves a second chance otherwise. This has already played out in the courts, and all the evidence that was provided from those hearings and testimonies is still not enough, its all very Kafkaesque. If he was found guilty of anything, if the judge could've found a reason to keep the restraining order, I'd be of the opinion, that no, Bauer shouldn't be signed because there is probable cause something did happen between the parties where he is at fault. Even still there are much worse cases of domestic violence from within MLB (Ozuna, German) in which players returned to playing in a rapid succession compared to Bauer.

So what's it about? Its about projection, virtue signaling, holding luxury positions and a general view within a constellation of opinions that align with other things - the same type of short term thinking that lead the MLB to move the all-star game out of Atlanta over so-called "oppressive voting laws". An earlier comment about "finding it really weird all pro-cop people should have Bauer signed", or however the poster put it, is the low-brow tribal thinking at the base of all of this.

Our society is constructed in a way to allow the courts and justice system to work through their processes. Innocence until proven guilty is a cornerstone of our country. Is it perfect? No, but what's the alternative? Getting Navalny'd? Are people going to be happy with every decision a court or judge makes. Hell no! But we should care about the processes more than we care about the outcomes.

My take on this has nothing to do with the off field potential issues. It has everything to do with screaming at teammates, coaches, because McKenna dropped the ball in Boston once last offseason.

A professional knows how to balance mistakes, or they are not a professional. It’s okay to have a moment because of such a competitive environment. It is another thing to bring the entire clubhouse down because of being a complete jerk.

This is my concern and instinct with Bauer, just watching his comeback in Japan, a great opportunity to shine and make a dream comeback.

I could post more videos, and it has everything to do with baseball and nothing to do with off field issues that you state are all political correctness. Not the case, as much as you want it to be.

Louis CK is an example of someone I give second chances too. My instinct says something else with Bauer. Will defer to the Front office on this because it is not my expertise and I trust their judgment, if they decided otherwise. 

the truth is I wanted Trevor’s potential up until now. And it just an instinct watching his on field antics….not hearsay

Edited by Since1984