Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

I saw Aaron Hicks release from the Angels went through.    Maybe he rather than Ryan McKenna is in Cincinnati this weekend to try and help Mullins and Cowser out with Andrew Abbott and Nick Lodolo.    It'd be especially quick if they could troll NYY with him in there against Rodon today - I believe he is better right-handed.

If Cowser keeps it up, his name won't be in the lineup much anyway and it will be back to Hays most likely. Since April 15th he's 8-47 with 1 XBH and 24Ks to 6BB. People complaining about Cedric should chill out. I was hoping for a .780 range OPS and now that's looking like I might have gone too high. 

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Cowser keeps it up, his name won't be in the lineup much anyway and it will be back to Hays most likely. Since April 15th he's 8-47 with 1 XBH and 24Ks to 6BB. People complaining about Cedric should chill out. I was hoping for a .780 range OPS and now that's looking like I might have gone too high. 

Funny how Mullins’ and Cowser’s numbers go down when we play them versus LHP. That’s gonna happen. They should be platooning with Hays/Mckenna. 

Roch:

Austin Hays grabbed his spikes yesterday and walked out of the Orioles’ clubhouse. He had another box to check.

Hays ran the bases for the first time since landing on the 10-day injured list on April 22 with a strained left calf muscle. He sprinted from third to home and wasn’t favoring the leg.

That was only part of his workout. The Orioles didn’t schedule batting practice but they arranged for Hays to take some swings on the field.

It was significant ramping of baseball activities after Hays had run the last two days, hit in the indoor cage and threw.

“Everything’s been going good,” he said. “I’ve been up to 90 percent of my game speed, so getting really close. Just got to check a couple more boxes, but everything we’ve done so far, there have been no setbacks, nothing negative. I think we’re getting really close.”

Hays could use an uninterrupted stretch of games. A stomach virus in spring training shed about 10 pounds from his frame, and he experienced a different illness in Pittsburgh. He went 4-for-29 down in Florida and is 5-for-45 this season with no extra base hits.

Before heading out to the field, Hays said he didn’t know whether he’d go on an injury rehab assignment to get some at-bats.

“We’re still trying to decide that, like, ‘OK, if you’re good in the next couple days, where are we going to be at?’” he said. “We’ll see once I check off all the sprinting boxes, baserunning, hitting. Just see what we decide.”

Manager Brandon Hyde sounded yesterday like he expected Hays to join an affiliate.

“Hopefully he can start doing some minor league games here pretty soon,” Hyde said.

Posted (edited)

Glad to hear he's closing in on rehab games. I've said the whole time during his struggles that this team would need Austin Hays this year before it's all said and done. And we already kind of do on May 3rd, with Mullins and Cowser both looking overmatched against lefties, and having to rely on Ryan McKenna. 

Edited by interloper

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Who goes for him?

McKenna's comported himself well.   He might well get claimed.

I’d guess Kjerstad.  He’s optionable and is getting little playing time anyway.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yep I don’t see them sending down McKenna. He serves more of a purpose than Kjerstad. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That's what I would think as well.  It is the LHH for the RHH though and McKenna is obviously the least valuable player, but that makes the most sense.  Hays starts against all LHP, and depending on how he hits, a certain number of RHP, and McKenna is 5th OF/defensive replacement for Santander.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right. Even if it’s AA, you still have to put a charge into it to clear a fence.  

Plus, he's showing his veteranosity by motivating the Baysox to a 17-1 lead!