Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I can honestly say I've been watching Orioles games for the past week and a half and never not once thought "Man, I sure do wish Austin Hays was playing right now."

There have been a couple of moments where I've wished they had a better RH pinch-hitting option and thought about Hays. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I can honestly say I've been watching Orioles games for the past week and a half and never not once thought "Man, I sure do wish Austin Hays was playing right now."

How ‘bout when Cowser made that throw that was halfway up the first base line?  And actually, Cowser’s been quite terrible the last two weeks, .114/.262/.171.   That’s basically the line that got him sent back to Norfolk last year.  I will be glad to have Hays back and give the O’s more flexibility to match up.  Assuming his bat returns to normal, which I believe it will.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

How ‘bout when Cowser made that throw that was halfway up the third base line?  And actually, Cowser’s been quite terrible the last two weeks, .114/.262/.171.   That’s basically the line that got him sent back to Norfolk last year.  I will be glad to have Hays back and give the O’s more flexibility to match up.  Assuming his bat returns to normal, which I believe it will.  

Seconded.

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You'd rather watch McKenna?

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think I recall saying that, but if that's the conclusion you're jumping to....I mean, that's part of what you do, take things people say, twist them around and then take them and run.  Or play a semantics game.  So I'm assuming that's what you'll do here.

But, just to be difficult, yeah, I'd rather watch McKenna.  Hays has been harder to watch going back to the 2nd half of last year.  

First of all, I'm not a McKenna fan but I think he gets a lot of unwarranted flak around here.  Like, he's a perfectly fine 4th or 5th outfielder.  Yeah, he's a bit of a doofus but it's not a big deal.  It's as if people are still holding a grudge against the dropped flyball in Fenway last year and it's just absurd.  

He's not great, but he's not completely awful, either.

No, I don't want to watch Hays.  I'd rather see Cowser in LF, Mullins in CF and Santander/Kjerstad in RF.   And if that means McKenna gets a little bit more playing time, so be it. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How ‘bout when Cowser made that throw that was halfway up the first base line?  And actually, Cowser’s been quite terrible the last two weeks, .114/.262/.171.   That’s basically the line that got him sent back to Norfolk last year.  I will be glad to have Hays back and give the O’s more flexibility to match up.  Assuming his bat returns to normal, which I believe it will.  

We can agree to disagree.  I'd rather watch Cowser, as awful as he's been because there's upside there and he represents the future.  You know as well as I do that Hays isn't long for this team and he's at his peak or he's already hit it.  

If my leftfielder is going to put up a .114/.262/.171 slash line, I at least want to know that he's on the upswing of his career.  Hays has been bad to borderline terrible for over half a season now and I don't believe he's going to get much better.  Might have a hot streak but those hot streaks are seemingly less and less these days.  More nicks and injuries and more prolonged slumps.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There was a play at the plate that Cowser missed the plate by 20+ feet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Honestly, since July 1 of last year, is Hays a better player? 

Personally, I’m looking forward to Hays getting back because I do think we need another righty bat with his upside but if he continues to be bad, which has been the case for most of the last 300+ at bats, they may need to have a real conversation about him.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think I recall saying that, but if that's the conclusion you're jumping to....I mean, that's part of what you do, take things people say, twist them around and then take them and run.  Or play a semantics game.  So I'm assuming that's what you'll do here.

But, just to be difficult, yeah, I'd rather watch McKenna.  Hays has been harder to watch going back to the 2nd half of last year.  

First of all, I'm not a McKenna fan but I think he gets a lot of unwarranted flak around here.  Like, he's a perfectly fine 4th or 5th outfielder.  Yeah, he's a bit of a doofus but it's not a big deal.  It's as if people are still holding a grudge against the dropped flyball in Fenway last year and it's just absurd.  

He's not great, but he's not completely awful, either.

No, I don't want to watch Hays.  I'd rather see Cowser in LF, Mullins in CF and Santander/Kjerstad in RF.   And if that means McKenna gets a little bit more playing time, so be it. 

Wow, a simple question was enough to get your panties in a wad, wasn't it?

Let me posit instead that a simple question was enough to reveal how stupid what you said was, and instead of just copping to it, you decided to feign outrage, and then double down on the moronic take.  Way to go.  You're a superstar.

Anybody who wants to see McKenna play over Hays is actively wanting the Orioles to be a worse team.  So yeah, it's a stupid take.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly, since July 1 of last year, is Hays a better player? 

Personally, I’m looking forward to Hays getting back because I do think we need another righty bat with his upside but if he continues to be bad, which has been the case for most of the last 300+ at bats, they may need to have a real conversation about him.

How well Hays plays will determine his role.  I expect him to play a lot better than before he got hurt.

But there's no good argument to be made that McKenna is a better option.

23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Wow, a simple question was enough to get your panties in a wad, wasn't it?

Let me posit instead that a simple question was enough to reveal how stupid what you said was, and instead of just copping to it, you decided to feign outrage, and then double down on the moronic take.  Way to go.  You're a superstar.

Anybody who wants to see McKenna play over Hays is actively wanting the Orioles to be a worse team.  So yeah, it's a stupid take.

Well you bring the best out in me. What can I say?