Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Really? The broadcast only mentioned it like every single time he was at the plate lol. 

Yea I’m not sure how I didn’t hear about that although I tend to tune out ST because it’s so awful.

But I don’t even remember hearing about it during any broadcasts.

That definitely helps explain, or at least lends the possibility, of why he struggled to start this year.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays also doesn’t get good jumps.  You overrate him and always have. He’s a good player.  A solid 450-550 at bat guy. Someone who doesn’t generally hurt you defensively but really, he has no biz being in GG discussions. 

I’m glad we have him but when we don’t, I doubt we will even notice he’s gone.

Well, take that up with the GG voters, because they certainly thought so.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think Hays will see more CF time than Cowser.

I think Hays could play CF ...He gets good reads on balls...runs well, throws well...throws much better than Mullins..and right now, ANYTHING good Hays would do offensively would be a massive upgrade from Mullins, who looks like he's fading at the plate.

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Hays could play CF ...He gets good reads on balls...runs well, throws well...throws much better than Mullins..and right now, ANYTHING good Hays would do offensively would be a massive upgrade from Mullins, who looks like he's fading at the plate.

I would expect to see Hays in CF against lefties at this point.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays did?  I don’t remember hearing that.  That certainly helps explain things.

April 17 (three days before Hays hurt his leg):

"Austin Hays doesn’t want to say the first two weeks of the regular season were like spring training to him.

"He knows those games mattered. But he entered the season cold at the plate after dealing with a stomach virus that saw him lose 10 pounds. He was absent from spring training for four days, then spent the next few days trying to rehydrate and feed himself. It took him nearly a week to return to just hitting again and, after getting hit in the shoulder during his first spring training game back, a full two weeks just to start to feel like himself again.

"Hays got sick again in Pittsburgh during the first weekend of April. He’s just now back to the weight and strength he had before the illnesses, he said, and finally feeling healthy enough to contribute."

Orioles’ Austin Hays, after losing 10 pounds due to sickness, finally feels back on track - The Baltimore Banner

It's also been mentioned in Roch's blog several times.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April 17 (three days before Hays hurt his leg):

"Austin Hays doesn’t want to say the first two weeks of the regular season were like spring training to him.

"He knows those games mattered. But he entered the season cold at the plate after dealing with a stomach virus that saw him lose 10 pounds. He was absent from spring training for four days, then spent the next few days trying to rehydrate and feed himself. It took him nearly a week to return to just hitting again and, after getting hit in the shoulder during his first spring training game back, a full two weeks just to start to feel like himself again.

"Hays got sick again in Pittsburgh during the first weekend of April. He’s just now back to the weight and strength he had before the illnesses, he said, and finally feeling healthy enough to contribute."

Orioles’ Austin Hays, after losing 10 pounds due to sickness, finally feels back on track - The Baltimore Banner

It's also been mentioned in Roch's blog several times.

Thank you. I have no idea how I have missed this but you mentioning it today is literally the first time I had heard it.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thank you. I have no idea how I have missed this but you mentioning it today is literally the first time I had heard it.

He has a lot of bad luck with injuries/illness, etc. When he's healthy, he's average at the plate and slightly above in the outfield I would say. I would definitely take him (healthy) over McKenna. Hell, McKenna went unclaimed a couple weeks ago. 

Do you think Hays would go unclaimed?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It may have been the first time it was mentioned in this thread, so I can understand how you missed it.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It may have been the first time it was mentioned in this thread, so I can understand how you missed it.  

Apparently it was everywhere else though.

Honestly, I’m glad to hear that.  Gives me even more confidence he can bounce back.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He has a lot of bad luck with injuries/illness, etc. When he's healthy, he's average at the plate and slightly above in the outfield I would say. I would definitely take him (healthy) over McKenna. Hell, McKenna went unclaimed a couple weeks ago. 

Do you think Hays would go unclaimed?

I think this is your point, but Hays would definitely be claimed by somebody. Maybe not the true rebuilders because of the $6M price tag. But any fringe contender with a questionable outfield would love for an Austin Hays to fall in their laps. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think this is your point, but Hays would definitely be claimed by somebody. Maybe not the true rebuilders because of the $6M price tag. But any fringe contender with a questionable outfield would love for an Austin Hays to fall in their laps. 

Probably but I wouldn’t go as far as definitely. Some of these contenders with OF issues are more salary conscious than others.

But if he goes another 100-200 at bats where he’s awful, the thought that he is likely to get claimed goes way down imo.