4/5 - Tides vs. Knights game three!

spleen1015

So if Elias cares about defense so much how come the defense is so poor?

Are they all supposed to suddenly jump from below average to good in the next few weeks?

Other than Jackson all these guys have had questions about their defense since draft day right?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Elias cares about defense so much how come the defense is so poor?

Are they all supposed to suddenly jump from below average to good in the next few weeks?

Other than Jackson all these guys have had questions about their defense since draft day right?

I think Avg. EV trumps D and you figure it out from there.

But all seriousness, the miscues tonight are non-prospects mostly.  Also, guys are playing all over the field slightly out of position.

I think there is something to be said for that.  The myelination effect.  Super focus on a new skill, make it difficult, challenges always, no similar reps and skills will grow.  Rinse repeat fall into boring pattern and skills will not grow.  I think he puts folks out of their comfort zone a bit in the minors to promote skill growth.  Just a hunch. 

Edited by emmett16

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think Avg. EV trumps D and you figure it out from there.

But all seriousness, the miscues tonight are non-prospects mostly.  Also, guys are playing all over the field slightly out of position.

I think there is something to be said for that.  The myelination effect.  Super focus on a new skill, make it difficult, challenges always, no similar reps and skills will grow.  Rinse repeat fall into boring pattern and skills will not grow.  I think he puts folks out of their comfort zone a bit on the minors.  Just a hunch. 

But shouldn't that be happening before AAA?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But shouldn't that be happening before AAA?

I follow the Tides fairly closely.  I don't follow the lower minors as much.  I imagine they do it throughout.  I believe I've heard interviews about how their programming is consistent from the lowest levels to the highest and their special assistants (coaches) are roving up and down throughout the system.  I think they are all playing form the same sheet of music.  

Biggest jump in all baseball is AAA to MLB.  I think sometimes we all take for granted how darned good the guys in MLB are.  They make the impossible look easy...most of the time. 

I also think that's why we see so much positional movement at the MLB level.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I think the new way of scheduling where you play the same team for a week is annoying.

Not if you're a 20-24 year old riding a bus lol 

But yes, from a fan standpoint, it's pretty lame. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I follow the Tides fairly closely.  I don't follow the lower minors as much.  I imagine they do it throughout.  I believe I've heard interviews about how their programming is consistent from the lowest levels to the highest and their special assistants (coaches) are roving up and down throughout the system.  I think they are all playing form the same sheet of music.  

Biggest jump in all baseball is AAA to MLB.  I think sometimes we all take for granted how darned good the guys in MLB are.  They make the impossible look easy...most of the time. 

I also think that's why we see so much positional movement at the MLB level.  

If they have been doing this for three to four years shouldn't they be better at it?

At some point you need to decide if Mayo is actually a third baseman.  Folks gave Dan grief for keeping Mountcastle at Short for too long. 

All the stuff you are talking about is great if the player can do it.

But I question how good it is when you have a bunch of guys that had questions on defense when they were drafted and those questions are still present years later.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they have been doing this for three to four years shouldn't they be better at it?

At some point you need to decide if Mayo is actually a third baseman.  Folks gave Dan grief for keeping Mountcastle at Short for too long. 

All the stuff you are talking about is great if the player can do it.

But I question how good it is when you have a bunch of guys that had questions on defense when they were drafted and those questions are still present years later.

I think it's all about the growth mindset and trying to find a competitive advantage.  Like, they believe it should work and be better and are sticking to their guns even though first glance shows poor results.  I have to imagine they have some internal metrics to measure their own process & progress.  

But again, this is just me guessing.  And I'm not going to sit here and say it works and is the way to do it.  I like the thought process, but like you I haven't seen the process coming to fruition yet and have reservations.