Kyle Bradish 2024

RVAOsFan

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bradish had excellent stuff tonight in his rain-shortened outing in St. Louis.  5 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.  He three 52 of 74 pitches for strikes.  It’s a shame the rain kept him from pitching deeper into the game.  

There were a few annoying moments: an 0-2 HBP and an 0-2 count that ended in a walk.  But overall, a very good outing.  

He wiggled out of back to back jams where guys doubled to make it 2nd and 3rd. He got out of it. Cedric couldn’t make a very tough catch in CF. 

Bradish looked like Bradish. Very encouraging. He was at 75 pitches, so I don’t know how much longer he was going to be out there anyways. 

45 minutes ago, joelala said:

When he has both breaking balls working like he did last night he’s so much fun to watch.

Would anyone be surprised if he wins a CYA before his career is over?

Just needs a slight tick up with command. Now that he has the 2 seamer to go with the breaking balls, when he has command he is really tough.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I was not expecting him to be so good after the news broke that he had a UCL tear.  He’s been remarkable.  

Was it ever confirmed that he had a tear? I only ever saw that there was an injury but don’t recall seeing the word tear ever used. If so, I missed it. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Was it ever confirmed that he had a tear? I only ever saw that there was an injury but don’t recall seeing the word tear ever used. If so, I missed it. 

My bad.  I meant to write 'sprain'.  I'll fix that.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

My bad.  I meant to write 'sprain'.  I'll fix that.  

A sprain can be a tear.  From the Cleveland Clinic:

There are three grades of UCL sprain injuries:

Grade 1: The ligament is stretched but not torn.

Grade 2: The ligament is stretched and might be partially torn.

Grade 3: The ligament is completely torn.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22760-ulnar-collateral-ligament-ucl-injuries

• Upvote 1

Sucks that the game was suspended last night because I think he could have gone another inning or two.

3 hours ago, joelala said:

When he has both breaking balls working like he did last night he’s so much fun to watch.

Would anyone be surprised if he wins a CYA before his career is over?

I would be.  I think he'll get some CYA votes along the way but outright winning it is something different altogether....it's not out of the realm of possibilities but he'll have to hit another gear.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22760-ulnar-collateral-ligament-ucl-injuries

Very true, but I think to @banks703 point they never specifically said 'tear'.  There was very likely some small tear, but it was never explicitly stated.  

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Very true, but I think to @banks703 point they never specifically said 'tear'.  There was very likely some small tear, but it was never explicitly stated.  

I don’t remember anymore.  It was clear that it wasn’t a complete tear.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

right right but they never did indicate the level of injury (as far as I can recall) so I wonder if it was less of an issue with the UCL itself and more of the surrounding soft tissue or even the elbow. I realize ME said injury to ucl but I don't remember if they offered any more of an explanation than that. It certainly may have been a strain without evidence of a tear but I do find it interesting that was all that was offered on it. 

In '21 my big dog hyperextended my elbow, fracturing it. The fracture healed relatively quickly and without any pain. However, about six weeks after the injury, I experienced tightness and sensitivity in my hand and wrist. About two days after that I was unable to use my arm at all, not even to eat or drink. I elected to not have the TJ and tried to work through it but should have just had the surgery. It took a full year and closer to 18 months for me to feel normal again. Even today I still have forearm soreness.

All this to say that the medicine in pro sports is absurdly good. It's to the level that I think most casual fans don't understand (not suggesting that you don't understand it). I take really good care of myself and at 39 I am consistently mistaken for still being in my 20's (yes a little bit of brag but thank you to the buccal fat that I struggled with in my actual 20's). As healthy and active as I am and having been a ball player, I cannot fathom throwing a baseball with how my elbow felt for the better part of a year and a half. These athletes today and the medicine that keeps them on the field is something to truly marvel at and honestly, what KB is doing this year with any injury to his ucl is otherworldly. I know that there have been other guys who have avoided TJ but I just can't comprehend that given how my arm felt. Big kudos go out to KB for working through it and the medical staff for the work that they did with him/for him to make his 24 season a possibility. It's incredibly impressive.  

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sucks that the game was suspended last night because I think he could have gone another inning or two.

I would be.  I think he'll get some CYA votes along the way but outright winning it is something different altogether....it's not out of the realm of possibilities but he'll have to hit another gear.

The suspended game greatly helped the Cards.

• Upvote 1