If Coby Mayo Can Play Average ML 3B Defense

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I wasn’t trying to shame anyone, and I don’t think @Satyr3206took it that way. If he did, I apologize.I got one or two of the same notes before I signed up.

I distinctly remember a post you made about the future of the site being a bit precarious, and that’s when I joined. 

No, I didn't think you were, just saying I try not engage or treat anyone differently over whether they've paid or not. Either way, I do appreciate your and and others support. It does help keep the site going.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is Mayo's best position?    

Mike Elias response:   Bat

Was that a quote?   I believe the question was where does Mayo play long term and the answer was the middle of the order.

17 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I am fine. No offense taken. It just that unraveling 27 years of your life is hard. Things have come up and I have had to deal with them all. Should be fine in a month or two and I will renew.

I'm going through the same thing, but after 34 years. I get it and no worries whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm going through the same thing, but after 34 years. I get it and no worries whatsoever.

Sorry to hear that. I feel for you. Stay Strong. It's a challenge.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

+54 Rtot for his career, so somewhat above average by that measure.   Among his HOF contemporaries, Mike Schmidt was +129, Wade Boggs was +95.   Personally I would not have said Boggs was better than Brett, but Schmidt certainly was.  

Brooks was +293, if anyone’s wondering.  Beltre second at +168.  Sorry, Adrian.  

Buddy Bell had 174 career RTot, so he should be ranked above Beltre, unless I read the stat incorrectly. But Bell only had 66.4 career WaR, and Brett had 88.6, so even though I didn’t originate the quote I referenced, it’s clear that Brett wasn’t a defensive standout

Bell fielded better than just about anybody. Brett Hit better than just about anybody.

Getting back to Mayo, I’d like him to combine the best of both guys.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just panic. If Holliday came out and hit well, to go along with the defense looking good, people would laugh at this idea.

But since he struggled, people are finding ways to push him down.  I would guess we look back at this idea and kind of laugh at it.

I don't care either way about what position he plays. I look at this, if there's any real truth to it as a way to try to get him back to Baltimore sooner, and be more beneficial to the team. 

18 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah, he's definitely not athletic enough.

Counting on Mateo to be a regular isn’t a good plan.   He’s never been good offensively for any extended period.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m so sorry for you and Satyr. I wish you both the very best. 

20 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

On the thread topic if Mayo has to play RF that means there is a glut of OF's. Trade time.

Mullins and Hays are struggling though and Bradfield is at best years away. Mullins and Hays are FA after 2025. 

I just can’t see playing someone at an important defensive position who is inferior to Westburg. 

Kjerstad and Mayo could split time in RF and then you find at bats for both at DH/1B. Then you have Mountcastle. You could do this for thru 26 and then one takes over for Ryan once he hits FA. 

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Counting on Mateo to be a regular isn’t a good plan.   He’s never been good offensively for any extended period.   

Could this be his career year (a season that was the outlier from his career norms)?