The Worst Experience I’ve Ever Had at a Game the O’s Won (By Far)

Frobby

5 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I haven't lived in Baltimore/DC area in a long time, but as someone who visits a fair amount my impression these days is...

Don't drive into DC if you can avoid it.  Take the DC Metro whenever possible.  Or is this not possible or convenient for some people when it comes to Nats games?  I've never been to a Nationals game so I don't know from experience.

Driving into downtown Baltimore is fine and still really the only option for most people since Baltimore public transportation serves very little of the suburbs.  

Are most people in agreement or are there other takes on this?

The vibe here seems mostly anti-transit, but you're absolutely right.

Metro is far and away the best way to get to/from Nats games with a station right at the ballpark. I can't imagine trying to drive in on a weeknight to the ballpark.

11 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I haven't lived in Baltimore/DC area in a long time, but as someone who visits a fair amount my impression these days is...

Don't drive into DC if you can avoid it.  Take the DC Metro whenever possible.  Or is this not possible or convenient for some people when it comes to Nats games?  I've never been to a Nationals game so I don't know from experience.

Driving into downtown Baltimore is fine and still really the only option for most people since Baltimore public transportation serves very little of the suburbs.  

Are most people in agreement or are there other takes on this?

I grew up in MI for 35 years.  Total midwestern guy.  Have lived in the very liberal state of CA the past 14 years.  About 30 miles north of LA.  As liberal as can be....although not really as most people outside of LA are very conservative.   In fact the city where I live is anti woke.. 

Anyway....

Have  been to Baltimore and DC once in my life.  Also once to NYC twice in my life.   I am a huge Oriole and Colts fan but I would never return to any of those cities.   In fact I paid a $1000 airline fee to leave one of those cities early.....it was that bad. 

Again, I live near Los Angeles.

Let that sink in. 

5 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I grew up in MI for 35 years.  Total midwestern guy.  Have lived in the very liberal state of CA the past 14 years.  About 30 miles north of LA.  As liberal as can be....although not really as most people outside of LA are very conservative.   In fact the city where I live is anti woke.. 

Anyway....

Have  been to Baltimore and DC once in my life.  Also once to NYC twice in my life.   I am a huge Oriole and Colts fan but I would never return to any of those cities.   In fact I paid a $1000 airline fee to leave one of those cities early.....it was that bad. 

Let that sink in. 

It sounds like you just don't like cities... Which is fine. Certainly not for everyone. 

But it shouldn't be used as an indictment on any of those cities, which are all great places in their own ways.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does the Metro run late enough to get to and from the stadium? 

I went to a preseason game with my brother there a few years ago and parking was so far away that we may as well have walked from where we came from, and driving in the city was also a nightmare.  So if I ever go to another game there, it's going to have to be on the train. 

Edited by Morgan423

5 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Anyway....

Let that sink in. 

Not sure what the point of your post is, but I live in Venice Beach and have lived in the LA area for over 30 years.  I live in an area that used to be infested with gangs and drug dealers but now sports $4-5 million homes that I can't afford to buy.  Yet there is still an occasional murder in the vicinity.

I think of moving back to Maryland or Virginia all the time because in my opinion people just live better there -- at least people with normal incomes do. 

If you're afraid of big cities, well I can't help you there except to say the suburbs of Baltimore and DC are among the nicest in the country.  And many of them are affordable too.  I grew up in Howard Country and started to miss the mid-Atlantic area, especially during Covid.  And yes I miss Baltimore and DC too, not to mention Annapolis, the Bay, Northern Virginia and so on. 

And I'd consider moving into Baltimore having spent so much time there in high school and college -- though more likely a suburb closer to family. 

Now to get this thread back on track -- I hope Frobby's next Nats/Orioles experience is an enjoyable one that does not involve Craig Kimbrel in the 9th inning.  🙂

56 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Not sure what the point of your post is, but I live in Venice Beach and have lived in the LA area for over 30 years.  I live in an area that used to be infested with gangs and drug dealers but now sports $4-5 million homes that I can't afford to buy.  Yet there is still an occasional murder in the vicinity.

I think of moving back to Maryland or Virginia all the time because in my opinion people just live better there -- at least people with normal incomes do. 

If you're afraid of big cities, well I can't help you there except to say the suburbs of Baltimore and DC are among the nicest in the country.  And many of them are affordable too.  I grew up in Howard Country and started to miss the mid-Atlantic area, especially during Covid.  And yes I miss Baltimore and DC too, not to mention Annapolis, the Bay, Northern Virginia and so on. 

And I'd consider moving into Baltimore having spent so much time there in high school and college -- though more likely a suburb closer to family. 

Now to get this thread back on track -- I hope Frobby's next Nats/Orioles experience is an enjoyable one that does not involve Craig Kimbrel in the 9th inning.  🙂

I lived on 3rd Street Santa Monica Blvd for 5 years. The Promenade.  Love it.  Also lived in OId Town Pasadena in 2015 or so.  Loved it.  This was around 2009 to 2016 in total.

Now?  I would not live there any of those places.

Agree that the subs of Balt and DC  and much of LA are fine.  For example I love much of the OC and some parts of San Diego.   I am strictly talking living in the CITY cities of Balt, DC, LA, NYC, etc.

Don't do it.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I routinely leave for O’s games 42 miles from my house with less time to spare than I did for this one.  Honestly I think the route the map app sent me on was doomed to get worse during the time I was traveling.  

And another thing is just the cost of the tickets and parking compared to equivalent seats and parking at Camden Yards.   Probably would have cost no more than $65-75 compared to the $112 I paid for that crappy experience.  

Would parking in MARTA have been any better?  It could have been worse, the lot could have been locked when you left the game.  Locking a lot 30 minutes after the game is insane.  I assume they get $200 plus for storing your car at a lot somewhere overnight if you're locked in.

9 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I lived on 3rd Street Santa Monica Blvd for 5 years. The Promenade.  Love it.  Also lived in OId Town Pasadena in 2015 or so.  Loved it.  This was around 2009 to 2016 in total.

Agree that the subs of Balt and DC  and much of LA are fine.  For example I love much of the OC and some parts of San Diego.   I am strictly talking living in the CITY cities of Balt, DC, LA, NYC, etc.

Don't do it

Careful there... Your pearls might shatter if you clutch them any harder 

16 hours ago, NashLumber said:

And, oh man, losing those voicemails from your late father. I hope there is a way to recover them. That hits me. I have some from Weams that I'm trying to hang onto. They made it to my newest phone purchase. It would crush me if I were to lose them. 

I do have one cool way of hearing my dad’s voice.  He argued a case in the Supreme Court in 1988 or 1989, and as I found out while preparing his eulogy, the Court’s website has archived very high quality audio recordings of every argument from the last 40 years or so.   When I found out, I went and listened to my dad’s argument.  He was 60 or 61 at the time, a little younger than I am now.   It was very neat to be able to remember what he sounded like at the peak of his career.   I’d rather have a recording of my 93-year old dad just calling to say hi in the weeks before he died, but at least this is one recording I can’t lose.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Number5 said:

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Funny, I recently saw a show at Ford’s Theater and it was on the eve of the anniversary of when Lincoln was shot.  It’s a pretty small theater and you can easily picture someone leaping from the balcony onto the stage as John Wilkes Booth did after shooting Lincoln.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

The vibe here seems mostly anti-transit, but you're absolutely right.

Metro is far and away the best way to get to/from Nats games with a station right at the ballpark. I can't imagine trying to drive in on a weeknight to the ballpark.

I would have preferred it.  My wife is immunocompromised and reluctant to take public transportation for that reason.  

12 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Don't do it.

This is getting pretty far off topic.   I’ll just say that every city is different and experiences differ even within a city depending on where you live and work.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I recently saw a show at Ford’s Theater and it was on the eve of the anniversary of when Lincoln was shot.  It’s a pretty small theater and you can easily picture someone leaping from the balcony onto the stage as John Wilkes Booth did after shooting Lincoln.  

• Thanks 1

I bought a new phone today.  I’m thrilled to report that I was able to recover a lot of my old data, including the voice mails from my dad.  All I lost was about 18 months of photos and all of my text messages.  I can live with that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1