Credit where it’s due to Melanie Newman

She's not good on tv, but on the radio she is horrible because she isn't good at describing the action. As bad as she is. Garceau might be worse, but thankfully he doesn't seem to be doing as many games this season. 

Two things that annoy me with Melanie are when there is a big play, her only way to call it is to yell the players name. Great catch, big hit, whatever it is, the call is "SANTANDER!!!"... The other is the when a ball is hit to anyone in the infield and her call is "hit right back". What do you mean hit right back? That only makes sense to me if it's hit right back to the pitcher.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Philip said:

“ the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they gicchi goomie.The lake it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy”

yup, him and Johnny Cash

'Gordon Lightfoot is the Best singer songwriter I've ever heard. He's my idol"---Bob Dylan

19 hours ago, Philip said:

“ the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they gicchi goomie.The lake it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy”

yup, him and Johnny Cash

And this classic line:

As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most

Mind you I'm a fan of the song but that line always sticks out like a sore thumb.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And this classic line:

Mind you I'm a fan of the song but that line always sticks out like a sore thumb.

Puts one in mind of Bill O'Donnell doing Orioles play by play back in the 1970s.

"Glove-wise, Mark Belanger is one of the best fielding shortstops in baseball."

"Bat-wise, Kenny Singleton can really hit the ball."

Even as a teenager I noticed that and got annoyed by it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

'Gordon Lightfoot is the Best singer songwriter I've ever heard. He's my idol"---Bob Dylan

I would love to know what kind of legacy of music Jim Croce would have left behind if he hadn't died basically after having just one hit album.   Incredibly talented singer/songwriter.  Another decade+ of music from him could have been incredible.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I would love to know what kind of legacy of music Jim Croce would have left behind if he hadn't died basically after having just one hit album.   Incredibly talented singer/songwriter.  Another decade+ of music from him could have been incredible.

I wish John Martyn had taken things more seriously.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And this classic line:

I agree with you that that’s not one of his strongest lyrics, but the worst lyric ever written in the history of bad lyrics, is, “I am, I said, to no one there, and no one heard at all, not even the chair.“

When Mr. Diamond appears before the Lord, he’s going to have a bit of doing to talk his way out of that one.

And for what it’s worth, the Edmund Fitzgerald was one of the biggest ships ever launched on the Great Lakes.

Edited by Philip

21 hours ago, rm5678 said:

The last time Irvin pitched, Ben did a better job of pronouncing his name correctly during the game. He must have practiced. But then after that game during the post-game show, he went back to calling him Irving multiple times.

I share the same last name with Cole. It is often mispronounced as Irving with Irwin being a close second. 
I’ll answer to both 🙂

2 hours ago, Brian88 said:

She's not good on tv, but on the radio she is horrible because she isn't good at describing the action. As bad as she is. Garceau might be worse, but thankfully he doesn't seem to be doing as many games this season. 

Two things that annoy me with Melanie are when there is a big play, her only way to call it is to yell the players name. Great catch, big hit, whatever it is, the call is "SANTANDER!!!"... The other is the when a ball is hit to anyone in the infield and her call is "hit right back". What do you mean hit right back? That only makes sense to me if it's hit right back to the pitcher.

The other night in DC, someone was trying to steal 2nd, and she described the throw from the catcher as "the throw home."

3 hours ago, Brian88 said:

A blind man at the ballpark knows more about what's going on at the game than someone listening to Melanie on the radio.

• Upvote 1

I share many of the same thoughts as the rest of you. But if we take the pieces of this thread I do think I see clearly. 

We really would like for Melanie to be successful. She has improved some in her delivery on pbp, but is still nearly unbearable. She is still at her best on the sideline, on tv, where we already know what happened. 

But her improvement is limited because her biggest drawback is the tool she deploys…her voice. And that is a tough limiting quality. However, if we try really hard, we can imagine her smelling like warm cookies. 

I like warm cookies. 

• Upvote 1