Is it time to upgrade over Urias and McCann?

If the team stays healthy, I think Urias' days are numbered. Whether it's Mayo, Holliday, Norby... I think someone is coming for that roster spot this summer, pushing Mateo back to the bench and Urias to another team. 

McCann is fine for his role. Though I don't love how they use him. I'd like to see him start a bit less often, with Adley DH'ing a bit less often on McCann days so he still gets enough rest. That would open a few more ABs for the Stowers/Kjerstad types to start against lefties, and I'd like to see them get that chance. 

28 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

McCann as a backup catcher isn't terrible.  McCann as a backup catcher starting 17 out of 41 games is terrible.  Divide that number in half, get another right-handed DH option on the team, and let James McCann be for Gen Z what Jeff Tackett was for Gen X - if you see him in the lineup, then that means it's Sunday.

And you get to be in movies!

Posted (edited)

Agree that McCann is going to stay. Hopefully Holliday comes up and takes over 2B, which pushes Mateo to pinch runner/utility duty and starting against LHP’s. 

I think the real question is what do they do with the last roster spot? Do they keep Urias as an extra infielder? Or upgrade with either an IF/OF that can rotate in more? The way I see it right now, in important/playoff games, there is zero chance I want McCann starting against a LHP (or RHP). If you assume the following against LHP’s:

SS Gunnar, C Adley, 3B Westburg, 1B Mountcastle, 2B Mateo, RF Santander, LF Hays, CF Mullins/Cowser

As the roster currently stands, that likely leaves Urias, O’Hearn, or Cowser DH’ing. They clearly don’t trust O’Hearn against LHP’s, Cowser is K’ing 35% of the time against them this year, and Urias is a reverse splits guy. I think there’s a pretty big opportunity for them to add another RH OF bat to solidify the lineup against LHP’s, provide a PH option for Mullins/Cowser/O’Hearn, and as insurance if Hays/Mullins keep struggling. A guy like Mark Canha seems like he would be a good rental (127 wRC+ against LHP the last 3 years, 118 against RHP) or Taylor Ward (132 wRC+ vs LHP’s the past 3 years, 120 against RHP’s) if they want someone with control to offset potential losses of Santander, Hays, and Mullins in the next few years. They also could just bring up Mayo/Norby if they trust them to play the field. 

Edited by LGOrioles

I think McCann has played more than necessary so far and we may see less of him later in the season if we are still fighting for the division. The thing that surprises me about him is the fact he's yet to walk in 65 plate appearances. I get that's not a huge part of his game, but 0 so far. Of course, the lack of walks and patience i think is an issue for the team in general...but that's a different topic. 

For Urias, I hope we see his spot go to Holliday or Mayo in the next month or so.

15 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

McCann is fine, he is a backup catcher, I don’t expect much from him and he does a fine job at what he is. 

Urias, his time has come. Time to DFA and recall Holliday. 

I don't think there's any chance that they bring Holliday back up until way later in the season. 

On 5/5/2024 at 6:58 PM, Sports Guy said:

Sure but that doesn’t mean calling for him to get a day off in a bad stretch is some kind of a travesty.  

47 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

McCann is fine, he is a backup catcher, I don’t expect much from him and he does a fine job at what he is. 

Urias, his time has come. Time to DFA and recall Holliday. 

McCann is a below replacement level player that the team plays too much.  He’s not “fine”.

• Upvote 1

McCann is fine. Not sure who you would trade for to upgrade. It’s not like there’s a lot of hard hitting backup C. There’s a reason someone is a backup C. I do like that McCann has given Adley more rest this year. Probably a little more than I prefer. 

1 hour ago, theobird said:

McCann is a very solid backup catcher, a very solid teammate. No chance at all of moving away from mcCann. 

Coby Mayo may very well push Urias out soon

Mayo's going to be our utility infielder?

I'm ready for us to move on from Urias.   He's been an ok player for the past few years,  but he's been terrible this year.  It certainly doesn't help when Hyde puts him in high pressure situations,  like last night,  and he inevitably fails, making terrible optics.  I don't know if he's just gotten old fast or what,  but I'm not confident at all that he'll improve back to his career norms.

As to McCann, he's fine,  though being used way too much.   I'm fine if we keep him,  and I'm fine if we upgrade his spot.  I have zero concerns with any clubhouse issues from trading or cutting him however.  Unlike Urias, we don't exactly have anyone in AAA that is really pushing for his spot.