Angel Hernandez has retired!!

waroriole

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if this was a “forced retirement”?

I wonder as well.  Unless there are serious health or family issues, the timing is pretty odd.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if this was a “forced retirement”?

Sounds like it was a settlement. It couldn’t have been an enjoyable experience for Angel to continue umpiring. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Sounds like it was a settlement. It couldn’t have been an enjoyable experience for Angel to continue umpiring. 

He missed most of last year with a medical issue I believe, maybe he's had enough.

Edit:

Hernandez worked only 10 games last season because of a back injury, but he missed 161 calls, according to Umpire Auditor.

Hernandez was never considered MLB’s worst umpire, according to MLB’s statistical studies and reports, but in the court of public opinion, there wasn’t anyone who missed more calls as a home-plate umpire.

Edited by Malike

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He missed most of last year with a medical issue I believe, maybe he's had enough.

Edit:

Hernandez worked only 10 games last season because of a back injury, but he missed 161 calls, according to Umpire Auditor.

Yeah I didn’t even realize that until reading the article. He still had enough bad calls to cover a full season. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Yeah I didn’t even realize that until reading the article. He still had enough bad calls to cover a full season. 

I find it hard to believe that statistically, by whatever metric they use he wasn't even the worst ump in the game.