The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Teams got a haruspex on the payroll?

I don't think that's what it would take to think they are going to let a guy with 140 career innings in 4 years, all of them in relief until this season, and half of which are this year, his first back from TJS throw 200 innings. The White Sox have been managing his workload all season.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think that's what it would take to think they are going to let a guy with 140 career innings in 4 years, all of them in relief until this season, and half of which are this year, his first back from TJS throw 200 innings. The White Sox have been managing his workload all season.

They need to figure out the magic number right?  How many innings did Means get out of his new ligament?  Digging through sheep guts would seem to be as effective a means of prognostication as whatever the O's used.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They need to figure out the magic number right?  How many innings did Means get out of his new ligament?  Digging through sheep guts would seem to be as effective a means of prognostication as whatever the O's used.

The problem is the White Sox are going to value him as a number 1 starter in a trade. What team is going to pay that price, and have the guy come up with a dead arm after 115 IP and be useless for them in the playoffs? Means also had two years of over 145IP. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Crochet has 140 for his entire career.

Edited by Malike

On 6/4/2024 at 7:04 AM, clapdiddy said:

I think there is a reason Tommy Pham has played with 8 teams in his 11 baseball seasons...

A sports radio show sort of randomly did a segment on Tommy Pham.  One of the nuggets they revealed was that his minor league roommate called him the worst human being he had ever met.  He is a 30 year old MLBer who spends the offseason walking around looking for guys to fight. 

On 6/5/2024 at 8:37 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Why do we need another SP again?  And an expensive one at that?  We have 6 currently. You can only throw 3 in a playoff series. What’s the thinking behind this?

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson is maybe the best in baseball?

Also, we get to play the Yankees 9 more times.  We’re in control of our own destiny.  Might just have to go 6-3.  

Bradish feels like he could go on IL again and, while Grayson is good, I think you're overrating the still developing version of him.  

I don't see how Burnes, Bradish and Grayson are the best in baseball when, just as one example, the Yankees are sporting Gil, Rodon and Stroman and probably will have Cole back soon.  Not to mention Cortes and Schmidt.  

On 6/5/2024 at 12:16 PM, Sports Guy said:

Trade for Detmers

Nice buy low candidate though I doubt even the Angels are dumb enough to trade him to the Orioles, unless it's some offer they can't refuse.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A sports radio show sort of randomly did a segment on Tommy Pham.  One of the nuggets they revealed was that his minor league roommate called him the worst human being he had ever met.  He is a 30 year old MLBer who spends the offseason walking around looking for guys to fight. 

I’m not sure if this is what you’re talking about, but the 2pm show on 105.7 did a Pham segment with an AI voiced Tommy Pham. I rarely listen to their show anymore, but this was maybe the worst thing I’ve listened to. It was frankly embarrassing. 
The jist of the segment was they all wanted to trade for Pham. I get it, it’s radio, gotta get people to tune in. The two old guys are awful, but I feel bad for the younger producer getting dragged along.

11 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Bradish feels like he could go on IL again and, while Grayson is good, I think you're overrating the still developing version of him.  

I don't see how Burnes, Bradish and Grayson are the best in baseball when, just as one example, the Yankees are sporting Gil, Rodon and Stroman and probably will have Cole back soon.  Not to mention Cortes and Schmidt.  

You only really need your 3 best SPs in a 7-game series. So the Yankees have Cole and some other solid pitchers. 

Gil has never thrown more than 100 innings in his career - including the minors - so you can safely count him out for the playoffs. 

I'd take Grayson over every Yankee pitcher that will most likely be available in the playoffs except for Cole. And Cole, like Bradish, is coming off a significant injury which could easily knock him back out for the season. 

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You only really need your 3 best SPs in a 7-game series. So the Yankees have Cole and some other solid pitchers. 

Gil has never thrown more than 100 innings in his career - including the minors - so you can safely count him out for the playoffs. 

I'd take Grayson over every Yankee pitcher that will most likely be available in the playoffs except for Cole. And Cole, like Bradish, is coming off a significant injury which could easily knock him back out for the season. 

I'm not trying to knock Grayson, just pointing out that I don't agree his presence in the rotation gives the Orioles the top 3 starters in baseball.  The Yankees are not the best either imo, just a comparison point.  The Phillies may be the best -- their top 4 are probably better than the O's top 3. 

But mainly I was pointing out Bradish's arm being a concern.  If he becomes unavailable for awhile the O's suddenly look uncompetitive to the point that making the playoffs may not be a foregone conclusion.  That's why the O's could maybe use another starter.  If Bradish is not available for the postseason then we're probably as good as done.

3 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I can only dream but if Houston were to decide to sell what would it cost to get Bregman and Verlander for half a season? 

I've wondered about a Bregman rental too if the Astros get there and Holliday-Mayo don't get it together.

The Billy Beane "bleeping A" scenarios are chasing 2 falls worth of Kyle Tucker and/or Framber Valdez.

The Burnes win reinforces the hope Elias is a strong tight player - I think he knows who the best are.

Some of navigating the reliever market isn't going to be getting someones better (that will happen), its going to be preciously allocating a small number of roster spots.    We probably aren't getting Ryan Pressly and Tanner Scott and Yimi Garcia and Matt Moore and Camilo Doval.

I am hoping for over 2.5 on imports though as after even a tolerable Kimbrel-Cano-Coulombe start relievers I want to use against NYY run out fast.    Kimbrel in more of a bottom of the lineup in the 6th inning kind of way.

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

Major points for “haruspex.” I’m an old guy and I read a lot and never saw it before.

Me neither.  I figured it was something out of Harry Potter.

• Haha 1