The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Zach Eflin TB is a starter that would have game 2 or 3 potential. He’s owed $18 million next year in his last year. That’s pretty pricey for the Rays. 

I’d put him up there with rentals Kikuchi and Severino as best fits. 

I agree, he'd be a nice logical fit for us. 

Just now, interloper said:

I agree, he'd be a nice logical fit for us. 

Eflin is a possibility.  Hadn’t considered him.   That $18M for next year has to factor into the return cost.  Fedde only makes 7.5 next year and you could argue that they’re comparable.

I think everyone agrees the O’s need pitching. I just do not think the short supply and major cost is going to be met by Elias. 

If he can add a player for money and good but not top prospects, I think he will. If he can add talent for MLB vets…I think he will. 

I personally think expecting the top available arms because they can afford it is a gross misunderstanding of the New Oriole Way. 

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think everyone agrees the O’s need pitching. I just do not think the short supply and major cost is going to be met by Elias. 

If he can add a player for money and good but not top prospects, I think he will. If he can add talent for MLB vets…I think he will. 

I personally think expecting the top available arms because they can afford it is a gross misunderstanding of the New Oriole Way. 

Could you explain more about "the New Oriole Way"?

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Bradish wasn't a waiver claim., but a part of the Bundy trade. However, I'm sure you all know that, so my reading comprehension is off somewhere.  LOL. Are you talking about Elias' pitching acquisitions overall? 

I read it the same as you and the Bundy trade was early in the tenure of Elias, so maybe an oversight. It shouldn't be forgotten, though, because that trade ranks right up there with Bedard in terms of fleecing the other side.

Edited by Il BuonO
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Could you explain more about "the New Oriole Way"?

Yes, Sir.  Probably not the best term, since I am simply coining a term based on what Elias seems to speak to when he does talk.  He is able to walk into any conversation and know that whatever the other team has he can afford.  But he seems disciplined to stay within a strict window that I am not fully sure I know.  What does that mean?

Well it means, in my humble opinion, that the names Skubal, Crochet, or Miller if made available are all within the Orioles reach.  And yet, there is almost no chance that the cost demanded will be met by the Orioles.  There are many here who believe they should simply meet the demand because they can .  I note that you frequently beat the drum that the Orioles are not contenders for a WS win in 24 without spending heavily in prospect talent for a difference maker.

I don't disagree per se.  And by that I mean that if the O's traded Holliday and Basallo and Mayo AND Kjerstad, and yet won the 2024 WS... I would be pretty happy.  Ecstatic even.

But I think that Mike Elias has been clear that he intends to compete for multiple WS opportunities.  I disagree with you that they are not a contender today.  They most certainly are.  Where we agree is that they would be more serious contenders with deeper SP and more reliable RP.

But here is the thing.  The Dodgers or the Braves should have won the NL Pennant last year, they did not.  The Orioles should have won the AL Pennant.  They did not.  The Orioles did not lose 3 games in the playoffs because they had no pitching....they lost three games because they pitched pretty poorly and they did not hit well.  In a small sample that happens.

So, what I call the New Oriole Way is probably unfair to everyone.  But it is my observation of what Elias has said he is doing.  At the end the day you and I will both judge him on whether or not he wins a WS or two....but where we differ is that there is more than one way to get there.

For example, if Flaherty pitched for us down the stretch the way he has pitched this year....it is quite possible we would be the defending WS Champions.  We will see what Elias does.  But it says here...that he will not be meeting the high demands of the most public sellers and anything he does if anything will come from another direction.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Bradish wasn't a waiver claim., but a part of the Bundy trade. However, I'm sure you all know that, so my reading comprehension is off somewhere.  LOL. Are you talking about Elias' pitching acquisitions overall? 

@RZNJmentioned Cano Povich etc so I added on Bradish for him 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

hours ago,  dystopia said:

Looking at the Orioles approach to acquiring pitching, other than Burnes and Jacob Webb, it leaves a lot to be desired. And you didn’t need advanced stats to know Burnes was top tier. 

Fuji, Flaherty, Vieira, Teheran, Ramirez… all terrible.