Do We Have Too Many Streaky Hitters To Win It All?

ORIOLE33

I know, we have a good team. You don't win 100 plus and have the record we have without being a good team. But one thing I think is alarming is all the streaky hitters we have in our lineup. Mountcastle, Santander and I would even have to throw Gunnar in the mix to name a few, are all streaky hitters. This becomes a real detriment when we go up against good pitchers in the playoffs. 

I've heard that hitting coaches are a bit overrated. But we have way too much talent coming through our system for us to not have a few more guys that can constantly hit in the high 200's. 

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

But what about everybody else? 

Not sure what you mean?

Hardly anyone hits for a high average these days.

The way I see it two out of 38 seems pretty average,

It's not an area of weakness compared to other teams.

Maybe a bit but not really worried about the hitting.  The young guys are growing, they'll get better.  The veterans, with the exception of Mullins, are starting to hit better. 

The main concern with this team as usual is the pitching -- starting pitching and bullpen.  We probably need to add one of each.

Until someone can measure streakiness in some meaningful way, I have no idea if the Orioles’ hitters are more or less streaky than other teams’.   My working assumption is that all players are somewhat streaky and fans notice it with their own players but don’t see opposing players frequently enough to notice.   

• Upvote 3

Even if we do have more streaky hitters than average (and as Frobby says above it’s hard to prove that), would that necessarily be bad for the postseason? If a theoretical team spent 1/3 of the time each red hot, ice cold, and normal, would that be worse for the playoff crapshoot than a team being normal the whole time? I’m not sure  

There’s also the fact that in terms of W-L results, the O’s have been demonstrably one of the least streaky teams in MLB for the past two years. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Until someone can measure streakiness in some meaningful way, I have no idea if the Orioles’ hitters are more or less streaky than other teams’.   My working assumption is that all players are somewhat streaky and fans notice it with their own players but don’t see opposing players frequently enough to notice.   

When you get abnormally hot like Mountcastle tends to do, then you get abnormally cold for prolonged stretches. And players like that see drastic changes in BA as opposed to someone like Adley. 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

When you get abnormally hot like Mountcastle tends to do, then you get abnormally cold for prolonged stretches. And players like that see drastic changes in BA as opposed to someone like Adley. 

I doubt anyone disagrees that Mountcastle is streakier than Adley.  But do the O’s have more streaky players than most teams?  Beats me.  

It would be awesome if we had a dominant guy like Shohei who never has a bad month and can put an offense on his back. Those guys are incredibly rare and that is just not how this team is built. I'm good with giving it a shot with these guys.

• Upvote 1

IMO, streaky hitters are far from what may be standing in the way of the Orioles right now re "winning it all." Heck, just finished game 61. Let's see what we look like after game 122 or near the end of August. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Funny, we tend to be less streaky when facing good pitching?  Berrios is a beast. AL pitcher of the month in April and has held us down twice now. They got a heckuva back end of the pen too with Garcia and Romano. Also, what got into Kikuchi?  97?  We were talking about him in the offseason like he was Irvin 2.0. 

Edited by sportsfan8703