Do we let Povich make his next start against the NYY?

Posted (edited)

Right now he’s scheduled to pitch one of the three games next week at NYY. I’m not done with Povich for the year, but we could roll with McDermott that game. Or we could do a bullpen game.

Keep in mind how big that the Yankees series is.  We’re 5-2 H2H vs them this year.  That would be the tie break after 162.  As of now, Povich, Grayson, and Kremer are scheduled to start against Cole, Gil, and Rodon.  I think we need some rotation shuffling.  We should try and get it Burnes, Grayson, then bullpen game. 

The advantage to optioning Povich today is that we can get a fresh arm up here. 

Do we have a pitcher on the West Coast that we could even activate for today’s game if we optioned Povich?

IMG_5664.jpeg

Edited by sportsfan8703

1.  It’s not in NY, it’s in Baltimore.

2. McDermott had to be pulled after 1/3 of an inning yesterday so he’s in the same boat as Povich.

3.  I think you roll with Povich.  It’s one bad start.   He was pretty good the previous four.  

• Upvote 3

• sportsfan8703 changed the title to Do we let Povich make his next start against the NYY?
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.  It’s not in NY, it’s in Baltimore.

2. McDermott had to be pulled after 1/3 of an inning yesterday so he’s in the same boat as Povich.

3.  I think you roll with Povich.  It’s one bad start.   He was pretty good the previous four.  

Thanks. I edited the title. 

I’m more so leaning towards a bullpen game being it’s the second to last game before the ASB. Overall, we gotta line up the rotation better than what roster resource projects right now. 

I’d have Burnes starting on regular rest off the off day so that he’s on schedule for Tu 7/9 and Sunday 7/14.

So I’d have it,

7/12 Friday Grayson

7/13 Sat Bullpen game

7/14 Burnes

You let Povich pitch. He is a Jeckly and Hyde pitcher good for results all over the place. Since he just got an awful one out of the way then there is good chance, decent, good, or great start will follow up. This has been his track record in the minors as well.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

You let Povich pitch. He is a Jeckly and Hyde pitcher good for results all over the place. Since he just got an awful one out of the way then there is good chance, decent, good, or great start will follow up. This has been his track record in the minors as well.

I’m not saying abandon Povich for the season or for good. I think we could maneuver, using options to go bullpen game in the 2nd to last game before the ASB. 

Povich is our #5. Coming out of the break he’d likely make 2 starts then be replaced in the rotation by the pitcher I hope we acquire. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. I edited the title. 

I’m more so leaning towards a bullpen game being it’s the second to last game before the ASB. Overall, we gotta line up the rotation better than what roster resource projects right now. 

I’d have Burnes starting on regular rest off the off day so that he’s on schedule for Tu 7/9 and Sunday 7/14.

So I’d have it,

7/12 Friday Grayson

7/13 Sat Bullpen game

7/14 Burnes

Thats good I like the extra start for Burnes before the All Star break. Instead of the BP  game could start Povich thursday and move Saurez to Friday

You could bump him up to the Cubs series and push back another arm like Suarez to start vs NYY. Only threw 43 pitches. Then you could option him and add another player vs NYY. 3 more games then 4 off days then  3 games and off day. 

In theory you could skip a #5 SP until July 27. That said this regime doesn’t seem to make these kind of moves as much as Duquette did. He felt like he was always trying to find an advantage. Either way if they would option him he would only miss one start.  

20 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Thats good I like the extra start for Burnes before the All Star break. Instead of the BP  game could start Povich thursday and move Saurez to Friday

Have to see if today they announce Tuesdays SP or not. 

Ultimately it does make sense since he threw 43 pitches to throw him Thursday vs Cubs and then send him down. 

It would push Suarez to 6 days rest and keep Grayson on 5. Then just have to see who they start Tuesday to see who goes Sunday. They could get cute and have a pen game as well. Hate to say it but one advantage of Burnes pitching Sunday is he can’t pitch in ASG.  

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No better alternatives.    Keep evaluating him until we get another starter.  If he gets annihilated again, send him down regardless.

There’s a 90% chance Povich makes that start Thursday, but we could get creative. Kremer and Povich both have options. We could option them like we used to do with Chen/Miggy in 2013/2014 around the ASB. Idk if they wouldn’t be down the necessary time to make their scheduled starts as the 4th/5th SP out of the break. 

That could give us a 9 man pen for the Yankees series. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s a 90% chance Povich makes that start Thursday, but we could get creative. Kremer and Povich both have options. We could option them like we used to do with Chen/Miggy in 2013/2014 around the ASB. Idk if they wouldn’t be down the necessary time to make their scheduled starts as the 4th/5th SP out of the break. 

That could give us a 9 man pen for the Yankees series. 

We don’t even have 6 really good bullpen arms.  Having an extra bullpen arm that’s awful doesn’t comfort me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now he’s scheduled to pitch one of the three games next week at NYY. I’m not done with Povich for the year, but we could roll with McDermott that game. Or we could do a bullpen game.

Keep in mind how big that the Yankees series is.  We’re 5-2 H2H vs them this year.  That would be the tie break after 162.  As of now, Povich, Grayson, and Kremer are scheduled to start against Cole, Gil, and Rodon.  I think we need some rotation shuffling.  We should try and get it Burnes, Grayson, then bullpen game. 

The advantage to optioning Povich today is that we can get a fresh arm up here. 

Do we have a pitcher on the West Coast that we could even activate for today’s game if we optioned Povich?

IMG_5664.jpeg

So, you’d rather start McDermott against the Yankees than Povich? Or start guys from our pen? Like Irvin or Akin?

The choices are not splendid but Povich is no worse than the other options. And Hyde doesn’t like to shuffle guys.