Tate optioned, Burch Smith recalled

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would not be unhappy if Tate did not come back up again.

He’s just not that good. He flashes brilliance at times but no way we should be in position to where he has a postseason roster spot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Logical move. Tate’s velocity isn’t there nor has he been effective…certainly not with runners on. Would have been huge for this club if he could have come back like the Tate of old.

Tate and Means didn't have the expected return from TJ.  Just shows how that there isn't a guarantee with that.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Tate and Means didn't have the expected return from TJ.  Just shows how that there isn't a guarantee with that.  

I don't believe Tate ever had the surgery.  He's just lost some velo for whatever reason. 

23 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't believe Tate ever had the surgery.  He's just lost some velo for whatever reason. 

Correct. Flexor strain followed by elbow stress reaction. Took him the whole year to rehab those injuries, and he's still not the same guy. It's a bummer. 

• Upvote 1

Dillon Tate = Burch Smith with a fresh arm

Neither miss bats, both get a decent amount of ground balls, but Smith comes with the added bonus of getting hit harder than Tate. 

Guess the bonus for Smith is that he can be stretched out for more low leverage innings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

There are times this year where I’ve seen Tate throw a sweeper that was just about unhittable.  He just didn’t always have it.  No problem sending him down, but he still may be of use to the O’s at some point.  

• Upvote 1