Worst Oriole Ever

Remember The Alomar

The real Drungo was a pretty good prospect, he just never got a chance in the majors and I can't quite figure out what happened.

I wonder if John Shelby would know why Drungo never really got a shot.

I always wondered about Drungo - it seemed like he was always included on the Baseball Digest top O's prospects list, but then he never got much of a chance. It may have just been a numbers thing - maybe there was only room for one young outfielder amidst guys like Ayala, Dwyer, Crowley, Kelly, etc., and that spot went to Shelby. And looking back, he never really hit much above AA (in limited chances), so that probably hurt. And one of his biggest strengths appears to be his walks, which were probably underappreciated in the early 80's, especially after Earl Weaver retired.

It's too bad he couldn't have hung around for just one more year, because by 1984 the O's might have been able to give him a real look.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, he didn't make anywhere near a million bucks. I think it was somewhere around $250k. The story I always heard is that he wanted $1 million total for 5 years (i.e $200k a year) and Hank Peters said those numbers boggled his mind.

I quoted the SI 'Million' cover instead of the essence of the story, which was he wanted at least one million bucks from a team to sign. But my primary point was that he was a money grubbing glory hound who had zero interest in staying with the Birds. Thus, my worst Oriole.

-Don

Archived