5/21 O's at Washington

isestrex

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys need to give Atkins a little credit here. Hernandez will NEVER be able to hit pop-outs to center that go as high as Atkins' do.

You're right, Atkins is so good at those he can do them with his eyes closed.

You guys need to give Atkins a little credit here. Hernandez will NEVER be able to hit pop-outs to center that go as high as Atkins' do.

Im pretty sure that Hernandez broke 2 more bats tonight than Atkins has all year.

That has to be good for something.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Holliday may be less of a sure thing but he clearly has more value in a trade than Robert does.
    • Based on his 2023 season ….Absolutely. Holliday is still a prospect. The top prospect in baseball mind you….but yes. Look back in history at trades that included prospects rated in say the top 5 and see if any of them netted a 1 for 1 trade. Further, I like Holliday and as I stated I’m not trading him. But that doesn’t mean he has more value. 
    • Base running is more than just speed. It's a skill. That skill has to be honed like any other. Reading pitchers. Seeing the play in front of you. Understanding how much of a lead is enough. Hearing the second baseman moving toward the bag behind you. As defenses incrementally improves as a player progresses through the minors, so too should base running skill. But only if it is exercised and challenged
    • This might explain the Orioles clear change in approach.  If you see a pitch you like on the first pitch take a big fat rip at it.  League average SLG is .550 and the O's are at .700.  So there's some analytical wisdom behind going up and hacking.
    • I can't find the article right now, but I recall reading a while back that there was some evidence that hitting tons of home runs correlates with beating your pythagorean expectation.  That's one of the reasons why the early-mid 2010s Orioles teams with prime Chris Davis frequently beat our expected win totals.  Since we're at or close to the stabilization rate for a lot of HR/power numbers I don't think the conclusion here is that our style of play is unsustainable.   Also, offense around the league is in the absolute gutter, so the runs we're able to score are pretty meaningful.
    • Then again, a game with all three of them homering would be sweet! (Bonus question: which outcome is more likely?)
    • I appreciate that he’s not flipping coins, and I know he has a reason for what he does, but a lot of the time, his reasoning is objectively bad. And that’s not really a source of debate. Just like Buck had a reason for saving Britton…but it was a really bad reason. any opinion, by definition, is debatable. A individual decision can be objectively good or bad whether or not it actually succeeds. Overall, most of the time we can give him the benefit of the doubt, but there have been lots of glaring bad decisions. I’ve mentioned Ned Yost. Even the folks at Royals review thought he was an idiot, but he had a splendid team that worked really well for a couple seasons.  
  • Popular Contributors