Padres interested in Guthrie...

Greg Pappas

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the Padres are now in position to pay one player ~$20M a year?

When did that happen?

When they ended up in first place in the middle of July.

The Padres have been talking about adding payroll for the stretch run.

Now they might end up moving him after this season, or they might let him walk, but for now they are not trading him.

Gonzo leaving isn't as inevitable as it was.

This is a very accurate statement.

What the Padres are now in position to pay one player ~$20M a year?

When did that happen?

No where was it said that the Padres are in position to pay $20 million a year. But it just so happens that AGon is under contract at a very reasonable price for 2011. The case can be made that it makes sense for the Padres to bring AGon back in 2011 as the team stands to be competive in 2011. I think they will shop AGon this offseason but its not a lock he gets dealt.

Everything still points to him being traded after the season...to the Red Sox.

That is simply a matter of the Red Sox willingness to pay the toll...Something they were unwilling to do this past offseason. I would not be shocked to see the Padres go into next season with AGon in the lineup.

Everything still points to him being traded after the season...to the Red Sox.

If the Pads win the division this season, I can't see them trading Gonzo this winter. That would be a slap in the face to the fans there.

If they fall out of the race by July 31 next season, I think that's the earliest you'd see him dealt.

Everything still points to him being traded after the season...to the Red Sox who will move Youkilis to 3B and let Beltre walk for picks.

This is very possible

However, if SD makes the playoffs this year and is able to generate that playoff revenue, they may be in that, we have to trade AGon mode quite yet.

They may decide to see the season play out next year and see if they are still a good team that makes the playoffs again.

If not, they can deal him in July or wait for the picks.

AGon has stated that he wants to stay and SD does want to keep him...but can they? A few playoff runs may allow that to be possible.

When they ended up in first place in the middle of July.

The Padres have been talking about adding payroll for the stretch run.

Now they might end up moving him after this season, or they might let him walk, but for now they are not trading him.

No where was it said that the Padres are in position to pay $20 million a year. But it just so happens that AGon is under contract at a very reasonable price for 2011. The case can be made that it makes sense for the Padres to bring AGon back in 2011 as the team stands to be competive in 2011. I think they will shop AGon this offseason but its not a lock he gets dealt.

The point Hank Scorpio made is, Blanks is viewed as the Padres' future replacement for Gonzalez. Whether that future becomes present this month, this winter, or after 2011 is pretty much beside the point.

The only way the blueprint changes, and Blanks becomes available in trade, is if Gonzalez extends with the Padres.

Which led to my question: when did the Padres suddenly become able to afford $20M players? Answer: they didn't, so Gonzalez' days are numbered and the spot will be Blanks' sooner or later.

The point Hank Scorpio made is, Blanks is viewed as the Padres' future replacement for Gonzalez. Whether that future becomes present this month, this winter, or after 2011 is pretty much beside the point.

The only way the blueprint changes, and Blanks becomes available in trade, is if Gonzalez extends with the Padres. Which led to my question: when did the Padres suddenly become able to afford $20M players?

Well , them making the playoffs this year may change their future plans in regards to Blanks. If that is their #1 trade chip and they need to use him to upgrade their team, they may very well do that.

Plus, maybe he isn't viewed the same right now as he was entering the season. He is facing possible surgery and hasn't progressed this season.

Well , them making the playoffs this year may change their future plans in ragrds to Blanks. If that is their #1 trade chip and they need to use him to upgrade their team, they may very well do that.

Plus, maybe he isn't viewed the same right now as he was entering the season. He is facing possible surgery and hasn't progressed this season.

Whether or not the Padres have soured on Blanks is a separate issue.

Earlier you said Gonzo leaving isn't as inevitable as it was.

Yes, it is. It's inevitable. The Padres can't afford his next contract.

How likely is it that San Diego would move Blanks in a deal for Guthrie? I suspect Padres' fans are laughing hysterically at this disucssion. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If Scott comes back and hits, he could be packaged with Guthrie and we could then ask for Blanks and maybe another prospect in return.

At this point, with his injury, I'm not sure that we'd necessarily be after Blanks. San Diego has other prospects that would fit here, though.

Whether or not the Padres have soured on Blanks is a separate issue.

Earlier you said Gonzo leaving isn't as inevitable as it was.

Yes, it is. It's inevitable. The Padres can't afford his next contract.

So, 2 deep playoff runs and a lot more ticket sales still makes them unable to afford his next contract? its not possible at all?

If Scott comes back and hits, he could be packaged with Guthrie and we could then ask for Blanks and maybe another prospect in return.

At this point, with his injury, I'm not sure that we'd necessarily be after Blanks. San Diego has other prospects that would fit here, though.

I agree with everything you say here...Hopefully we can get something accomplished with San Diego.

Archived