Well, of course the rational, logical, fiscally sane analysis is that you leave the guy in the minors for three weeks to get an entire year. Nobody would argue that.

The only justification for having Britton up on opening day is based on pure emotion.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jon Wilt.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No he'll be pissed off, but he'll deal with it so he can get to the majors.

You don't use "slap in the face" if you are "disappointed."

Britton was pretty ticked the last time he got passed over for a promotion in September.

I know my major concern going into 2011 is whether a guy who hasn't pitched an inning in the majors is really happy to be getting called up in late April, or freakin' ecstatic.

The Rays are sure to be looking to trade Longoria already in preparation for the tornado of lingering bitterness he's holding back from his rookie year.

Did they tell him "If you pitch better than Chris T and Brad B you will make the team."

Or did they tell him "You will have a chance to make the team based on a competition between all of you in the spring."

They told him, "Kid, we don't care if you're the next Sandy Koufax. The fact that you hired Scott Boras as your agent sealed your fate. Have fun in Norfolk."

Is Matt Wieters still a Boras client? Because if he is..it would be a perfect situation for him to prove that he will extend one of his clients. You know. The Orioles still have faith in his juvodivinity. And Matt and Scott have to question...that he is destined for a Hall of Fame career.

I know my major concern going into 2011 is whether a guy who hasn't pitched an inning in the majors is really happy to be getting called up in late April, or freakin' ecstatic.

The Rays are sure to be looking to trade Longoria already in preparation for the tornado of lingering bitterness he's holding back from his rookie year.

If the Rays continue to draw few fans...they may have to trade him anyway because they can't afford even that affordable contract.

I forgot about the Boras factor...That makes this decision a complete no brainer.

I have to admit, that put me over the top. I was discounting the odds that the extra year would ever come into play, then there is Boras. So yeah, it will matter a ton. There it is, I said it. Boras complicates things and makes them all about the money, nothing else matters. Given that, he goes to Norfolk for 3 weeks. Simple as that. Sad but reality.

I believe the teams in a win-now mode (like the Orioles are supposed to be in) would start him.

Dombrowski and Beane would for sure as they've done exactly that with their younger pitchers, and I bet Cashman and Epstein would as well.

Wren started Heyward on Opening Day last year, so I'd add him to the list.

So there's a pretty good list of successful GMs that don't give a hoot about service time if it gives their team the best chance to win.

Too bad Cashman is actually not going to do that. See Manny Banuelos.

Too bad Cashman is actually not going to do that. See Manny Banuelos.

Banuelos is 20 years old and hasn't pitched above AA yet.

Totally different situation.

Britton who is three years older, already has logged time in AAA and done well there.

I bet you'll see Banuelos though this year even at 20.

I have to admit, that put me over the top. I was discounting the odds that the extra year would ever come into play, then there is Boras. So yeah, it will matter a ton. There it is, I said it. Boras complicates things and makes them all about the money, nothing else matters. Given that, he goes to Norfolk for 3 weeks. Simple as that. Sad but reality.

He could always drop Boras.

Boras has also let players extend.

And we may not even want to extend Britton.

So many ifs there when 2011 is the most important season for this current core. We know we have the core to win games this year and what Britton can do.

at a minimum, kudos to OFFNY for proposing the single most divisive topic on OH this season. I am sympathetic to both camps, but Boras throws me hard over to the send him down side. I have to say, this issue has totally dominated the conversation lately and we have needed that. Once the decision is made, and I have suspicions this will be just as contentious at the Buck-Andy level, let's move past to winning O's baseball. I am glad I am not AM as I suspect Buck is pushing for starting Britton now.

at a minimum, kudos to OFFNY for proposing the single most divisive topic on OH this season.

I doubt very much that this devisive "debate" was on his mind when he made the OP:

Shut out the Yankees for 3 innings ...... Give that man his own thread !!! :)

Britton throws three shutout innings as Orioles, Yankees play to scoreless tie

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-orioles-yankees-0307,0,3204645.story

He could always drop Boras.

Boras has also let players extend.

And we may not even want to extend Britton.

So many ifs there when 2011 is the most important season for this current core. We know we have the core to win games this year and what Britton can do.

But you still think we can win 85 games without him to start the season..the same number you have felt for months.

So, nothing has changed.

Archived