Hardy extended

nevadaO

Just got a text from Baltimore Sun

Orioles agree to 3 year extension, roughly $7.5 million annually through 2014.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/07/hardy_and_orioles_agree_to_ter.html

The Orioles have agreed to terms with shortstop J.J. Hardy on a three-year contract extension, which will pay the 28-year-old shortstop roughly $7.5 million on average each season through 2014, the Baltimore Sun has learned.

The deal is pending a physical and some specific contractual language. It includes a limited no-trade clause.

The Orioles have not commented on the deal, but it could become official as soon as today..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. I was glad when we signed Markakis and Roberts to long-term deals, and I'm glad that we just signed Hardy for 3 more years. Whether or not the contracts work out well for us will not be known until the contract(s) is/are completed, but I like the fact that we are signing and trying to keep good players here.

I don't like the third year or any kind of a NTC.

They should have traded him.

That being said, its a good contract and one that isn't likely to hurt them.

My guess is the Orioles wanted 2 years and Hardy wanted 3...So, the compromise came with the dollars and the limited NTC.

Well, on the surface, this move appears to imply that we're not going to trade our highest value commodities (outside of the young starters and Wieters), i.e. Hardy, Jones, Guthrie, Markakis, Gregg, Uehara and Johnson. It appears to me that MacPhail may be attempting to 'go for it' in 2012. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Archived