Hardy extended

nevadaO

I am happy about this, though it really doesn't make much sense on Hardy's end. He could have gotten a 3-year deal for possibly more money in free-agency and been able to choose his destination. Why give up that freedom on the off-chance that he gets injured between now and the end of the year?

I haven't heard him say glowing things about Baltimore, though he isn't really in the media spotlight.

I think both Hardy and the Orioles were overwhelmed at the prospect of stability.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you can afford to operate this way especially if Hardy was firm about the 3rd year. It would be a good problem to have if Machado is ready to be the starting SS in 2014, but you don't know. He's already been hurt twice this year. If it happens, you deal with it then. Hardy might be our LF then. Who knows?

You can't afford to operate in what way? Making sure you have flexibility?

It's a good problem to have if you have the freedom to deal Hardy. That's what I'm saying.

Fair deal but he should have been traded. The only guy on this team that should be extended is Wieters. I know it sounds crazy but I might actually try to extend Britton, Matusz and Arrieta as well. i know I will get killed for this but imagine the the amount of money that could be saved going forward. I realize it is a BIG gamble but if we are going to have a 80-90 million dollar payroll we need to take risks like this of course AM would never in a million years do anything like this.

I am happy about this, though it really doesn't make much sense on Hardy's end. He could have gotten a 3-year deal for possibly more money in free-agency and been able to choose his destination. Why give up that freedom on the off-chance that he gets injured between now and the end of the year?

I haven't heard him say glowing things about Baltimore, though he isn't really in the media spotlight.

22-24 million makes alot of sense

Fair del but he should have been traded. The only guy on this team that should be extended is Wieters. I know it sounds crazy but I might actually try to extend Britton, Matusz and Arrieta as well. i know I will get killed for this but imagine the the amount of money that could be saved going forward. I realize it is a BIG gamble but if we are going to have a 80-90 million dollar payroll we need to rake risks like this of course AM would never in a million years do anything like this

Why extend those pitchers...they havent proven any kind of consistent performance.

Here is Keith Law's thoughts on the matter via twitter.

And Law is right.

I am sure Law thinks Hardy is a good player and I am sure he believes that Hardy will be worth the contract he got.

But none of that means that this was the best move for the Orioles.

Well, the Orioles have put themselves in a tough place and it's only there doing. They have become what Billy Beane has always said is not a great place to be and that is you are either rebuilding or you are spending and going for it, and if your in the middle of those two directions it's not going to get you anywhere and right now I think the Orioles are in the middle.

Well, the Orioles have put themselves in a tough place and it's only there doing. They have become what Billy Beane has always said is not a great place to be and that is you are either rebuilding or you are spending and going for it, and if your in the middle of those two directions it's not going to get you anywhere and right now I think the Orioles are in the middle.

They have been in the middle for more than a decade and none of the people in charge have ever been smart enough to see that.

They have been in the middle for more than a decade and none of the people in charge have ever been smart enough to see that.

Oh they are smart, they just choose not to see that or the lines of communication are out of whack.

I don't think the Os as an organization believe they can compete. Might as well put the best team out there we can, though. I think that's their thinking.

I don't think the Os as an organization believe they can compete. Might as well put the best team out there we can, though. I think that's their thinking.

This is not a good mindset to have in the AL East.

Btw, what happened to the whole we are trying to emulate what the Rays do? Biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard come from a GM of this team. Besides grow the arms and buy the bats.

Archived