Hardy extended

nevadaO

Well, on the surface, this move appears to imply that we're not going to trade our highest value commodities (outside of the young starters and Wieters), i.e. Hardy, Jones, Guthrie, Markakis, Gregg, Uehara and Johnson. It appears to me that MacPhail may be attempting to 'go for it' in 2012. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

If he's going to 'go for it", he better go all out.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price is right. The contract will likely be worth it.

A trade would have made more sense for a team in Baltimore's position, and it seemed interest was out there, but it's a club-friendly salary.

I would have preferred 2 years, and 3 years with a full NTC would have upset me, but this seems like a decent compromise. He's not going anywhere this year or the next, but the Orioles need to be able to move him if/when Machado is ready.

Here's hoping he stays healthy, gives us a couple excellent years at a solid price, and is flipped for a nice package in 2013 when Machado is ready to become a star :)

Well, on the surface, this move appears to imply that we're not going to trade our highest value commodities (outside of the young starters and Wieters), i.e. Hardy, Jones, Guthrie, Markakis, Gregg, Uehara and Johnson. It appears to me that MacPhail may be attempting to 'go for it' in 2012. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

I think you are. It is a reasonable deal for a player who can serve as a bridge to Machado. I think the lack of internal options to bridge said gap makes Hardy a pretty useful guy to have on the team.

I also think that if he stays healthy this season he could still bring a good haul in the offseason if the O's change their minds.

The price is right. The contract will likely be worth it.

A trade would have made more sense for a team in Baltimore's position, and it seemed interest was out there, but it's a club-friendly salary.

I would have preferred 2 years, and 3 years with a full NTC would have upset me, but this seems like a decent compromise. He's not going anywhere this year or the next, but the Orioles need to be able to move him if/when Machado is ready.

Here's hoping he stays healthy, gives us a couple excellent years at a solid price, and is flipped for a nice package in 2013 when Machado is ready to become a star :)

Ehhh, I am not convinced Manny will be a SS anyway. Not concerned about that aspect of things.

Just very pleased to hear this. Excellent deal for the O's. You now have legitimate options at C,RF,CF, SS, and 3rd. Now fill in the rest.

Agree whole heartedly with this. We actually have legit major league players at several spots on the diamond. Despite the injuries and underperformance, we still have a bunch of potential with young starting pitching.

To me, this move signals the direction for 2012. There will be no major trades between now and the deadline (ie, Jones, Markakis, etc). We'll shed some dead wood, either thru trades or perhaps releasing people but no blockbusters.

I expect us to go "all in" for 2012. Rather, we'll TRY to go all in for 2012. Guess we'll see.

I'm impressed that he's willing to stay here for three years.

I don't think he enjoys losing so it must have something to do with the city of Baltimore...or money, who knows?

I've speculated (pure speculation) that it's just stability. He's been traded twice and jacked around between the majors and minors his whole career. If it were me I'd jump at the chance to settle down most anywhere for multiple years.

Ehhh, I am not convinced Manny will be a SS anyway. Not concerned about that aspect of things.

I'm not completely sold either, but that's the best case scenario and that's what I'm hoping for. I think it was important not to be locked into the third year of the deal with no way to move Hardy if need be.

Solid deal to be sure. Like many, I was inclined to trade Hardy, but this deal is solid and hopefully the O's have some type of plan for the team's direction over the next year. Now we just have to hope and pray that he stays healthy. I might have to purchase a JJ Hardy t-shirt now :)

I am happy about this, though it really doesn't make much sense on Hardy's end. He could have gotten a 3-year deal for possibly more money in free-agency and been able to choose his destination. Why give up that freedom on the off-chance that he gets injured between now and the end of the year?

I haven't heard him say glowing things about Baltimore, though he isn't really in the media spotlight.

I'm not completely sold either, but that's the best case scenario and that's what I'm hoping for. I think it was important not to be locked into the third year of the deal with no way to move Hardy if need be.

I don't think you can afford to operate this way especially if Hardy was firm about the 3rd year. It would be a good problem to have if Machado is ready to be the starting SS in 2014, but you don't know. He's already been hurt twice this year. If it happens, you deal with it then. Hardy might be our LF then. Who knows?

Archived