Hardy extended

nevadaO

They have 5 players ages 25-28 in Hardy Markakis, Wieters, Jones and Reynolds. It isn't like they have a bunch of over the hill 30 year olds. The FA contracts have been 1 yr deals.

I understand his point but they outside of Guthrie they have a bunch of 23-25 year olds in the rotation, isn't that what everyone wanted. Did people expect the young guys to all work out right away at the same time in this division?

If you still believe in Britton, Arrieta and Matusz you should try to put your best team out there.

The young guys are the problem right now IMO. If they were developing and there were more in the system then I would be all about going in, but who thinks that this team we are watching right now is going to go from 95-100 losses this year to 88-94 wins in 2012-2014 with the core players we have right now? We just extended Hardy to play shortstop during the next 2-3 losing Orioles seasons. If a guy having a great year doesn't make a difference now, then what makes anyone think that will change without dynamic moves and player development?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The young guys are the problem right now IMO. If they were developing and there were more in the system then I would be all about going in, but who thinks that this team we are watching right now is going to go from 95-100 losses this year to 88-94 wins in 2012-2014 with the core players we have right now? We just extended Hardy to play shortstop during the next 2-3 losing Orioles seasons. If a guy having a great year doesn't make a difference now, then what makes anyone think that will change without dynamic moves and player development?

Is it a permanent problem? Tampa let up 944 runs in 2007 and 671 the next year. I am not saying that will happen here but it doesn't magically happen all at once

The best way to develop young players at the MLB level is to put the best players around them. We play in the toughest division in pro sports.

Silly me, I would have thought an elite player with a good contract would be worth more than the same player as a two month rental. If he stays healthy and puts up a ~.800 OPS for the season with ~25 dingers why wouldn't he be worth more during the offseason to a team like the Giants or Reds, a team looking for a solution rather than a band-aid?

You can't afford to operate in what way? Making sure you have flexibility?

It's a good problem to have if you have the freedom to deal Hardy. That's what I'm saying.

You can shift Hardy to 2b or 3b without issue. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I think the better move would have been to trade him and try and sign him in the off-season, but assuming no escalators and bonuses, this seems like a good deal from a pricing perspective. I have injury concerns, as well, but it's not like the 7.5 will kill you. They NEED to make two or three BIG moves this off-season for this to really make sense, otherwise it's more treading water...

And let's give Angelos some credit here too. This is an example of his being willing to spend money to help the team. I think he is doing much better in this regard than he was a few years ago.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with that statement. Angelos is reeling in an additional $40 million from MASN alone, yet the payroll is still half (or less) of his biggest divisional rivals? When he started MASN, he used to brag about how the additional revenues will allow them to spend money on big-name players to compete with the Sox and Yanks. MASN started full time in 2006. The payroll since then is as follows:

2006 - 72 million

BOS- 120 million

NYY- 194 million

2007 - 93 million

BOS- 143 million

NYY- 189 million

2008 - 67 million

BOS- 133 million

NYY- 209 million

2009 - 67 million

BOS- 122 million

NYY- 201 million

2010 - 81 million

BOS- 162 million

NYY- 206 million

2011 - 85 million

BOS- 161 million

NYY- 201 million

As you can see, he's not spending anything to better this team. Locking up your best player, Hardy, during a contract year is a no-brainer. I'll give him credit for getting it done, because if he hadn't, they would've lost him at the end of the year anyway. But still, it's only a little over $7 million/year.

Some more info from Roch:

Hardy said it's possible that he could still be traded this summer, but that's highly unlikely.

"I don't know how all the language works," he said. "I don't think that's their plans, but I think it's still possible if they want to trade me. But before the trade deadline, I know that I've got three years here, hopefully. It's good."

I know SG wants to trade everybody, including the kitchen sink for a pair of scissors and a cutting board, but I think this was a good move IF they make other moves to improve the team.

If they stand pat with the same BS next year, then I agree it will end up being a waste of a contract.

You can shift Hardy to 2b or 3b without issue. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I think the better move would have been to trade him and try and sign him in the off-season, but assuming no escalators and bonuses, this seems like a good deal from a pricing perspective. I have injury concerns, as well, but it's not like the 7.5 will kill you. They NEED to make two or three BIG moves this off-season for this to really make sense, otherwise it's more treading water...

I'm sure he could handle either position just fine, but he maximizes his value by playing a very good SS. I suppose if Roberts is done and we have no options at 2B when Machado is ready, then that's fine, shift Hardy over.

All I am saying is that I don't think you need to go to a third guaranteed year AND a full NTC to ink a guy with a serious injury history. And they didn't. So, cool.

I'm sure he could handle either position just fine, but he maximizes his value by playing a very good SS. I suppose if Roberts is done and we have no options at 2B when Machado is ready, then that's fine, shift Hardy over.

All I am saying is that I don't think you need to go to a third guaranteed year AND a full NTC to ink a guy with a serious injury history. And they didn't. So, cool.

Right. Looks like they got a very solid deal -- even a great deal if he ends up healthy and performing. Probably not the best move if you are building long term and restricting your payroll in the $80 million range, but probably the best move if you are willing to make some big moves to try and push for the next three years. I think the latter is a long shot, but it sure would be fun to see the organization get aggressive (not holding breath).

Well, the Orioles have put themselves in a tough place and it's only there doing. They have become what Billy Beane has always said is not a great place to be and that is you are either rebuilding or you are spending and going for it, and if your in the middle of those two directions it's not going to get you anywhere and right now I think the Orioles are in the middle.

How have Billy Beane's teams done lately? They have not had a winning record since 2006 and are on their way to another one this year, in a poor division.

I'm so disappointed with this team currently but I can still drink some kool-aid. Tampa made that one move in the off season for Garza and Bartlett and it put them over the top. I realize that our farm system is utter garbage right now compared to theirs but, there is still a lot of talent on this team. I can still try and be positive that the right couple of players can help put us over the top.... It's not impossible.

Right. Looks like they got a very solid deal -- even a great deal if he ends up healthy and performing. Probably not the best move if you are building long term and restricting your payroll in the $80 million range, but probably the best move if you are willing to make some big moves to try and push for the next three years. I think the latter is a long shot, but it sure would be fun to see the organization get aggressive (not holding breath).
I wouldn't be shocked to see this happen. I doubt Buck signed on for 3 years of just rebuilding with ML ready prospects.

SS is a very important position -- rebuilding or not -- so I am glad they have one of the better ones at a reasonable price for the next three years. Thank goodness we will likely not have to deal with a below average SS for another three years.

Archived