Jones just called out the FANS

Greg

He needs to call out the fans. I get tired of hearing stupid excuses every day as to why people are not going to these games. I totally understand if you have a family and money is tight for you right now, that is economy driven. But when you listen to the radio and hear these idiots call in and complain about the dumbest things, it pisses me off. That is all you heard on the radio when they were losing, "people would support them if they were actually winning". Now they are winning and its a whole new bag of BS. Go support the squad. Bring your own food and drink. Buy an upper deck seat if its too much money. Park in a free spot (do a little research, they are available) or even take the light rail. Who knows when something like this will happen again.

If you have beef with Angelos, I understand. But these players, Buck and DD have nothing to do with him right now. Go let them know you apprecaite what they are doing.

Excellent post.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would anyone choose this life for themselves? It sounds miserable.

As my lady friend always says, Who did this to me? Oh, I did this to me!!

That's pretty much my life if you replace "job that we hate" with "job that we like". When you have young kids that's just life. And it ain't bad. It just doesn't leave much opportunity (at all) for driving two hours each way to Baltimore to prove to Adam Jones and a bunch of messageboard whiners that I'm a real fan. The reality of life is that Real Dad and Real Employee and Real Husband take priority over Real Fan, and if it doesn't there's something wrong with you.

At least now with smartphones I can keep up with the O's while I'm multitasking six other things.

That's pretty much my life if you replace "job that we hate" with "job that we like". When you have young kids that's just life. And it ain't bad. It just doesn't leave much opportunity (at all) for driving two hours each way to Baltimore to prove to Adam Jones and a bunch of messageboard whiners that I'm a real fan. The reality of life is that Real Dad and Real Employee and Real Husband take priority over Real Fan, and if it doesn't there's something wrong with you.

At least now with smartphones I can keep up with the O's while I'm multitasking six other things.

No doubt that this is reality. However, why is it different now than a month or 2 ago when they had 25,000 showing up? Is it as simple as school starting?

Exactly. Lets see:

The life of many of us.

Up at the crack of dawn.

Take care of self and prepare kids for their day at school.

Fight traffic on our way into an 8 hour (or more) job that we hate.

Sit at desk and deal with people's issues all day long.

Get off work, fight traffic again on our way home.

Help kids with their homework and find out how their day went.

Make and cleanup dinner.

Turn on the ballgame if we're lucky enough to not have anything else on our plate!

Game ends around 10, into bed for a few hours of sleep to do it all over again.

The Life of Single, Non-Married Baseball Players:

Get up whenever.

Decide how to spend a few thousand dollars today.

Screw around until heading to the Yard around 3, maybe?

Screw around in the Clubhouse with your pals, playing video games and poker and stuff.

"Work" for 3 hours playing baseball.

Post game meal with your pals.

Do whatever you want until whenever you want.

Get ready for bed after another great day!

Yeah Adam, keep calling out the fans buddy!

And for the people who keep complaining about attendance, I wonder if they are single, or old enough to have already raised their children? I bet most of the people complaining about attendance don't have school aged kids. But I could be wrong.

Dipper, I happen to know that a large portion of major-league baseball players watch at least one full hour of SPORTSCENTER every day.

Do your homework and give a more accurate description of their lives before spouting off next time, mister.

Guest rochester
Since the Orioles winning season hasn't generated enough fan interest for AJ, he could spend some of that 85mil he's due on free tickets, ticket upgrades, ticket lotteries and more fans would be there to cheer him on.

I'm sure it would be less of a financial burden for him than tickets etc., are for the average fan.

How do you know he doesn't?

Anyway, IMO, PA should offer something to those that have supported them (i.e., season ticket holders) with something, i.e. free concessions for a game (w/coupon?). And he should announce that they are giving x number of seats FREE to a game; it can be upper level, non-premium (I am sure there are other ideas). It would get some press, give PA (this philanthropist type guy) some needed PR, fill some seats for those watching on TV (looks more impressive) and increases the buzz. My 2cents

I get all this, but what I don't get is why anyone would have kids. But that's a HUGE derailment of this thread. :D

No doubt that this is reality. However, why is it different now than a month or 2 ago when they had 25,000 showing up? Is it as simple as school starting?

Guest rochester
Exactly. Lets see:

The life of many of us.

Up at the crack of dawn.

Take care of self and prepare kids for their day at school.

Fight traffic on our way into an 8 hour (or more) job that we hate.

Sit at desk and deal with people's issues all day long.

Get off work, fight traffic again on our way home.

Help kids with their homework and find out how their day went.

Make and cleanup dinner.

Turn on the ballgame if we're lucky enough to not have anything else on our plate!

Game ends around 10, into bed for a few hours of sleep to do it all over again.

The life of Single, non-married baseball players:

Get up whenever.

Decide how to spend a few thousand dollars today.

Screw around until heading to the Yard around 3, maybe?

Screw around in the Clubhouse with your pals, playing video games and poker and stuff.

"Work" for 3 hours playing baseball.

Post game meal with your pals.

Do whatever you want until whenever you want.

Get ready for bed after another great day!

Yeah Adam, keep calling out the fans buddy!

And for the people who keep complaining about attendance, I wonder if they are single, or old enough to have already raised their children? I bet most of the people complaining about attendance don't have school aged kids. But I could be wrong.

And while you are running around bragging you have a job, what about the folks that do not, can't sleep because the mortgage isn't paid, etc. IIRC there are more than 20million of them. Your life is easy - you should be buying them tickets.:rolleyes:

I am just frustrated at the piles and piles of attendance threads going on. The truth is, I see MANY reasons why the general public is not attending games, and I don't understand how some people can put blinders on and ignore these very real "excuses" that people have.

That said, I gotta be honest. This is MORE like my day...

Up at the crack of dawn, before everyone else in the house.

Take care of myself and get out of the house before the wife prepare kids for their day at school.

Leave the house by 530 so that I don't have to Fight traffic on our way into an 8 hour (or more) job that I spend most of the day surfing on Orioles Hangout.

Sit at desk and ignore people's issues all day long.

Get off work by 230 so that I don't have to fight traffic again on my way home.

Watch the wife Help kids with their homework and find out how their day went.

Make and cleanup dinner.

Turn on the ballgame and sit my ass down watching the playoff contending Birds while drinking cold beer!

Game ends around 10, flip over to MLB to watch highlights for another hour or two.

Well done! Cindy wants to know when you get your snake killing in.

Typical game-day for my wife and I:

$30 food and drink (some packed some purchased)

$30 tickets

$25 gas

$15 parking =$100 per game

So, unless we get free tix/transpo from family/friends (probably a couple times a season) we see maybe 3 or 4 games. Inevitably, one or two of those games will either get rained-out, delayed by 2+ hours, or devolve into a horrible game -- and we are still out the money (or at least most of it).

Could we make it to 9 or 10 games on our own? Sure, but that would mean not taking a long-weekend vacation (when we may take no other this year), or not replacing our 18-yr-old water heater, or not putting away a few hundred dollars each of the past three years to put towards a TV on which we will watch 100 or so games a year. We might make those sorts of sacrifices come playoff time, but the opportunity cost is too high until then.

I get all this, but what I don't get is why anyone would have kids. But that's a HUGE derailment of this thread. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZgZBn0Eyis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To propagate the herd;)

Archived