Jones just called out the FANS

Greg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He needs to call out the fans. I get tired of hearing stupid excuses every day as to why people are not going to these games. I totally understand if you have a family and money is tight for you right now, that is economy driven. But when you listen to the radio and hear these idiots call in and complain about the dumbest things, it pisses me off. That is all you heard on the radio when they were losing, "people would support them if they were actually winning". Now they are winning and its a whole new bag of BS. Go support the squad. Bring your own food and drink. Buy an upper deck seat if its too much money. Park in a free spot (do a little research, they are available) or even take the light rail. Who knows when something like this will happen again.

If you have beef with Angelos, I understand. But these players, Buck and DD have nothing to do with him right now. Go let them know you apprecaite what they are doing.

Great post. Going to an Orioles game is not that unaffordable. Any seat in the house is a good seat...so you don't have to get boxes. You can bring any food you want into the stadium. I can't remember the last time I bought any concessions at the stadium, unless it was Boog's BBQ.

I get people have other commitments and clearly Adam isn't talking about those people. I've been to one game this year, I live in Richmond and don't have a group of people that really want to go to Orioles games with me. I know he's not talking to me, but if I lived in Baltimore I would be at a couple games each month.

That being said, to the people complaining about money, can you honestly say that you don't spend on anything besides necessities? It's your choice what you do with your money...just wondering.

I've been to about 14 games this season. It's been fun! I've gone to some games every season for about as long as I can remember, back to going with Dad as a kid at memorial. I've gone to more this year, because it's more fun.

I have no problem with Jones making a remark. He's not being rude, he's giving a nudge, as someone else put it.

There is one little thing that gets under my skin and I'm gonna just rant about it real quick.

I don't like when people that are not going to games give other people that are not going to the games a hard time. So this guy can't go because he lives far away, and this guy can't go because he has to work and this guy can't go because he can't afford it. You know what? It doesn't matter. You're either going or you're not. Do you think Adam or any other oriole cares why you're not going? They don't. Some excuses are better than others but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

I can't go again until Sunday the 30th. I have a list of excuses as long as, and related to my honey-do list, but none of them matter. No one wants to hear them, so I'm going to shut up and get back to the yard when I can. I'm going back again on the 30th and that matters.

Kids are back in school, it's in the middle of the week, the weather is bad, and the White Sox are a bad draw. I think we'll draw some more for the rest of the year. Professional athletes really need to say no to Twitter.

Don't go to watch the visitors. Go watch the Orioles.

Great post. Going to an Orioles game is not that unaffordable. Any seat in the house is a good seat...so you don't have to get boxes. You can bring any food you want into the stadium. I can't remember the last time I bought any concessions at the stadium, unless it was Boog's BBQ.

I get people have other commitments and clearly Adam isn't talking about those people. I've been to one game this year, I live in Richmond and don't have a group of people that really want to go to Orioles games with me. I know he's not talking to me, but if I lived in Baltimore I would be at a couple games each month.

That being said, to the people complaining about money, can you honestly say that you don't spend on anything besides necessities? It's your choice what you do with your money...just wondering.

You got me there. The bike our daughter wanted for her birthday wasn't a necessity, neither was the video game our son wanted for his. Next year were cancelling Christmas and Birthdays for the kids, and using that to go watch the Orioles. I could spare a few dollars to see a game, but its about putting priorities first, and being able to sleep at night knowing my bills are paid and my kids are provided for. Everyone has different priorities. Most people talk about how cheap a single ticket is, i can only assume they don't have kids. Priorities become different when you want what's best for them.

EVerybody in this thread needs to go read the 'Buck on XM radio' thread instead. His comments about attendance are mentioned in there, and he was spot on. He knows what the problem is and that you can't fix the last 14 years in one season, no matter how successful that season is. Buck gets it.

I feel that most of the people who bother to frequent OH, are ready to attend as many games as they can. If that's only 3 or 4, or less, a year, then so be it. Sniping at people because they don't want to go to a game, or can't for any number of reasons, is just ridiculous. None of us live in anyone's shoes but our own, so anyone riding the attendance 'high horse' needs to just back down. You are no less of a fan if you haven't attended many games.

EVerybody in this thread needs to go read the 'Buck on XM radio' thread instead. His comments about attendance are mentioned in there, and he was spot on. He knows what the problem is and that you can't fix the last 14 years in one season, no matter how successful that season is. Buck gets it.

I feel that most of the people who bother to frequent OH, are ready to attend as many games as they can. If that's only 3 or 4, or less, a year, then so be it. Sniping at people because they don't want to go to a game, or can't for any number of reasons, is just ridiculous. None of us live in anyone's shoes but our own, so anyone riding the attendance 'high horse' needs to just back down. You are no less of a fan if you haven't attended many games.

Excellent post....spot on.

I personally do not have a problem with what Adam Jones said.

I am 26 and have the 29 game plan with my Dad, and if I am able to go to more games I always try to go. But my biggest problems is if we make the playoff, we are going to have "fans" that are going to get playoff tickets. Pay way over face value just to go. But during the regular season they don?t have the money to go or find a reason not to go.

I understand that family, bills, work and all that should come before a going to game. I get the 14 years of losing, and people are still waiting for the other shoe to drop. But at what point does that casual fan start showing up again.

Side note. How many business stop buying tickets for their employees and that hurts the attendance?

Wow. I mean reading this thread some people have a remarkably thin skin.

Jones didn't say anything remotely offensive or false.

Spare me James. If Jones is gonna "tweet" things, then he should expect retorts. The fact of the matter is millionaires have NO clue about the struggles that normal people go through, and thus they should be making NO statements about who is or isn't in the crowd!

Spare me James. If Jones is gonna "tweet" things, then he should expect retorts. The fact of the matter is millionaires have NO clue about the struggles that normal people go through, and thus they should be making NO statements about who is or isn't in the crowd!

I think Twitter has been around long enough that we can probably drop the quotes around that verb. Also, I think we can drop the hostility. The Baltimore metropolitan area has enough people in it who are not within a few tickets of bankruptcy. I'm not giving any one person a hard time for not going - I don't know their personal situation. But the greater Baltimore area? It's a poor showing.

I have been to fewer games than I would have liked this season - I'm sure that's true of most Hangouters. We're not the problem, so let's not snap at one another.

Adam Jones' money does not mean that the point is invalid. Some fans of more humble salary have been saying it for weeks.

That's not to say that you're not entitled to an opinion. His tweet indicates that he thinks 10K-12K to watch two good teams play baseball is a poor showing. If you think 10K-12K is a sufficient show of support from the fans, that's OK too.

Personally, I'm with Jones.

Archived