Showalter announces that Joe Saunders will start for #Orioles tomorrow

Greg

So very dumb using Tillman last night, especially when you know you're facing Texas on Friday and not Oakland...

I know this is a big what if but had Last nights Tillman faced the Rangers the results would have been less than favorable.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just don't leave Saunders in for 147 pitches. At least now, Buck has a much more reliable bullpen than he did in 1995.

Wow, I remember that series, but I hadn't recalled that. Cone threw 282 pitches over two starts the ALDS in 1995. And Buck had Mariano and Wetteland available both games. That's inconceivable today, and inconceivable means what I think it means.

Got this from the Rangers MB:

Showalter has been pulling the strings just right on the bullpen all year long. He knows his relief pitchers. They perform for him and know their roles. An ESPN former player, I can't recall who, said Showalter is the best tactician in the game today. And all stops will be out. Yu really has to shut those guys down, and their offense, though doing much better recently, isn't all that. So, he may do it. If he does well, the team can win this, but I don't expect a high-scoring game. Our batters get confused enough as it is at times these days, and seeing so many different looks when Showalter goes to his pen may be too much for them

I'm really hoping this is what Buck has in store for them. Don't let them see the same pitcher twice! Confuse the hell out of them! I don't think Washington has the guts (or the BP) to do that. Though, he does have Yu starting.

If Saunders is still pitching in the 8th, he's pitching a shut out and the pigs are flying like maniacs.

The Baltimore Orioles are in the playoffs. The pigs are not only flying already, they just spent the past 5 months dive-bombing the Red Sox.

The plan is probably (hopefully) to have Johnson ready behind Saunders. And, if he was planning to have Saunders and Johnson ready for this game, it makes sense to use Johnson out of the pen since he's been in that role before. I'd imagine we'll see quite a few pitchers today. But if Saunders and Johnson can get us through 6 innings, I'll be quite pleased.

The plan is probably (hopefully) to have Johnson ready behind Saunders. And, if he was planning to have Saunders and Johnson ready for this game, it makes sense to use Johnson out of the pen since he's been in that role before. I'd imagine we'll see quite a few pitchers today. But if Saunders and Johnson can get us through 6 innings, I'll be quite pleased.

No one knows what Buck is thinking, but we know Saunders is starting the game.

With Saunders starting the Rangers will start their right handed hitters. Then after Saunders goes through the order one time I'd bring in Johnson for his turn. Then start going to the bullpen for matchups.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Saunders give us 5 or 6 innings of 3 run ball, even in that ball park. He's going to have something to prove, and the Rangers haven't exactly been sizzling hot.

The question more for me is our offense. Crazy cold after the TB series. Granted, we were facing top notch pitching, but guess what? We're facing an ace again tonight. If we perform offensively tonight like we did the last 3 games, we are screwed no matter who takes the mound. All the hand wringing over this pitching situation is not seeing the forest for the trees, IMO. We better score a few runs or it won't matter.

As for pitching Tillman on Wednesday, I think it was the right call. Getting a home game would have been big. Plus, acting like Tillman was some sure thing if he were to pitch in this game, is just crazy if you ask me. Yes, he's been pitching well, but that kind of spotlight has never been on him. There is no guarantee Tillman wouldn't have stunk it up tonight, so holding him back and not throwing him in a game we needed on Wednesday, would have been silly. If he had won that game and we were all headed down to OPACY tonight to see the game, I don't think anyone would be complaining about it.....it just didn't work out because we apparently don't know how to walk Longoria (or hit any TB pitcher!!!)

I really don't expect this to be a traditional start for Saunders at all. With the 1-game roster rules, you are going to see 8 or 9 pitchers and 16 or 17 hitters. I don't know if Steve Johnson will even be on the roster.

My guess is his plan is Saunders for 3, then Hunter for 2/3, then back to a lefty in Matusz for 1/2. This gets you to the 8th and you still have O'Day/Patton/Strop (I know, he makes me nervous too) for matchups. Bring in JJ to close it out and get everybody a day of rest before Sunday. That's 7 pitchers. I assume Ayala is on the roster today and then maybe Steve Johnson just in case, maybe one more starter/long guy for extras, but I don't know who that would be, Arrieta maybe.

I really don't expect this to be a traditional start for Saunders at all. With the 1-game roster rules, you are going to see 8 or 9 pitchers and 16 or 17 hitters. I don't know if Steve Johnson will even be on the roster.

My guess is his plan is Saunders for 3, then Hunter for 2/3, then back to a lefty in Matusz for 1/2. This gets you to the 8th and you still have O'Day/Patton/Strop (I know, he makes me nervous too) for matchups. Bring in JJ to close it out and get everybody a day of rest before Sunday. That's 7 pitchers. I assume Ayala is on the roster today and then maybe Steve Johnson just in case, maybe one more starter/long guy for extras, but I don't know who that would be, Arrieta maybe.

Johnson will be on the roster. Why wouldn't he be? Buck planned on starting him but got worried about his knee. That's why they did a "workout" yesterday.

I do not want to see Strop period. His last couple of performances have been sketchy.

Archived