Bedard unlikely to be traded by opener

wildcard

I still say when you are truly rebuilding, this year's ML team makeup is less important than building the farm system. To me that means that the best deal for Bedard is likely in ST or during the season, when teams in contention really see what they have, injuries happen, competitors over-achieve, etc.. It's easy to be optimistic about the fortunes of all your players this time of year, especially when you are considering giving up prospects that will "hurt". This is not a trade that a team wants to screw up on.

Plus we can be optimistic too - what if AM is re-initiating calls to other teams on June 30 and Bedard is 11-2 :)

So for now yes AM is negotiating, letting people know to call him when they change their mind. It is now time to figure out who plays for the Os this year, you have to assume Bedard is here for now. The right trade will come by July 31.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with Erik Bedard as our opening day starter if AM feels he's not getting enough in return. Teams that covet Bedard will make eventually come through, if not, there's always the trading deadline when Bedard could certainly make a difference for a team.

would i prefer to net a bunch of high level prospects for Bedard, absolutely, but I'm not going to start getting on MacPhail before the season even starts.

Now, if we go into the season and Roberts, Bedard, Payton, Hernandez, Huff and Millar are all on the roster still and Hernandez and Redman are penciled into the starting lineup, then I'll have a problem. But there's more to this offseason I'm sure...

Now, if we go into the season and Roberts, Bedard, Payton, Hernandez, Huff and Millar are all on the roster still and Hernandez and Redman are penciled into the starting lineup, then I'll have a problem. But there's more to this offseason I'm sure...

Bedard is sort of the key to a lot of those moves, isn't he? Redman starts in CF unless we find someone better. And, most of the (projected) Bedard deals had an OFer coming back. If we don't pull the trigger, how do we find a legit CFer? There aren't any out there in FA, and we don't have any other meaningful pieces to deal. It seems like no one wants Ramon, so he'll be here. Payton/Huff/Millar are redundant pieces, but we'd have to eat salary to get rid of them. I'd say that if we don't deal Bedard...prepare to have a problem.

Either (no pun intended:rolleyes: ) go into the next season with one of the best left handers in the bigs, or settle for a less-than-par package. I have my faith in Andy.

As long as those obliques persevere, we can expect that much more next offseason.

That is where you are wrong, his value next year isn't going to be half of what it is this year, even if he's healthy all year. #1 his numbers will be way down, considering the team around him, and he will only have 1 year left, not 2.

Some will say posturing. Some will say don't trade him unless you get the return you're looking for.

I say, when did Mora become such a jerk?

I'm a third baseman. I won't play no left field [for the Orioles]. They traded [Miguel] Tejada for a left fielder," said Mora, referring to former Houston Astro Luke Scott. "Check my numbers. You can see where I play.

Some will say posturing. Some will say don't trade him unless you get the return you're looking for.

I say, when did Mora become such a jerk?

Amen, man. How many more self-centered, prima donna quotes do we need to hear from this guy? I imagine the usual crowd will be defending him though, saying we can't take too much from snippets in the newspaper, even though we've got about a million snippets to choose from now.

As for the Bedard stuff, it's just MacPhail posturing. I'm still far from certain that Bedard will be traded, but this article doesn't change my take on that at all.

Well what is he supposed to do? Take any offer? If no one is offering what Bedard is worth, we must keep him for now.
I'm with you orayole. I just don't understand why people are mad at AM. I'm proud of him. The Orioles should expect big things in return for Bedard and if they don't get them they shouldn't trade him.

I guess we should just trade him for average prospects and then two years from now when those players don't pan out everyone will be pissed off at AM and the front office.

No problem with this at all. Like BB said, it is a wrinkle in assembling your 2008 lineup, but AM is playing the game. I've said it a bunch of times, but if you want the 2nd best lefty in the game, two years from FA and in his prime...you'd better be ready to deal your best prospect...and more. Cincinnatti and Seattle are holding out on us and AM is accordingly spreading the word that they're going to lose this game of chicken. I can understand while this is a frustrating process for fans who want to start embracing the future of the Orioles. But like I also said before, I'd gladly take a bet that EB will be dealt this offseason and to someone other than the Reds or Mariners. We've got a long way to go.

This is the most depressing piece of information I've heard about the Orioles this winter. I once was of the opinion that we should keep Bedard and Roberts and build around them. While, from a purely emotional standpoint, I would be pleased with that, I am now convinced that we should go in another direction.

The one thing that has become abundently clear to me in all of the trade discussions we've had so far is how rich some organizations are in minor league talent and how pathetically poor our organization is. We are in desperate need of an infusion of talent especially at the higher levels. If we do not take this opportunity now to trade two guys who ,by the way, would not mind at all if we traded them, we will spend years floundering in continued mediocrity.

What we are being offered for Bedard now, we will be able to get anytime during the season. I do not think he will sign with us again unless the offer is ridiculous.

The one thing I am hoping for is that AM rethinks not trading him to Boston and New York. I believe Boston is where our best trade for major league ready talent is.

If we don't trade Bedard now I could care less what scrub is playing what position now. This year with or without Bedard is going to be a year when we play young guy's. We are not going to win either way. If we don't get what we want now, we will be up against 10 more losing seasons.

To date it is obvious we have not been offered enough. Bedard is not a minor league player that a team has to speculate on. He is an ace. #1 starters bring big time major league talent or multiple top level major league ready players.

We have to hold firm for now.

What we are being offered for Bedard now, we will be able to get anytime during the season. I do not think he will sign with us again unless the offer is ridiculous.

The one thing I am hoping for is that AM rethinks not trading him to Boston and New York. I believe Boston is where our best trade for major league ready talent is.

If we don't trade Bedard now I could care less what scrub is playing what position now. This year with or without Bedard is going to be a year when we play young guy's. We are not going to win either way. If we don't get what we want now, we will be up against 10 more losing seasons.

To date it is obvious we have not been offered enough. Bedard is not a minor league player that a team has to speculate on. He is an ace. #1 starters bring big time major league talent or multiple top level major league ready players.

We have to hold firm for now.

We will not get Jones, clement, Bailey, Cueto, Votto during the season, they will all be on the MLB rosters and part of the playoff run, the only things we could get during the season is lower end prospects. If we don't trade him, and let him walk, we will be worse off, than taking a lesser package for him now.

I say if Jones and Clement were both on the table you take it, with a lesser 3rd player in the deal.

Or if Bailey/Cueto and Votto were on the table you take that as well.

Both trades will be 2-3X what we get once the season starts, and 3-5X what we get next off-season

However, Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that pitcher Brandon Morrow, whom the Orioles covet along with outfielder Adam Jones, is "highly, highly unlikely" to be traded

Forget about Brandon freaking Morrow! He's DCab part II. Jones and Clement along with Tillman or Butler is more than enough. Go after some other pieces. Just like Votto and Cueto, we don't need Bruce. It's called compromise Andy, Bedard is not worth three to four top players, he just isn't. And you are going to be lucky to get two for him at the deadline. MacPhail seems to be screwing up our best chance at getting some top talent on this team, and it's so frustrating to watch.

If he didn't want to trade Bedard he should have signed Andruw Jones, kept Tejada, signed another FA starter and made a run. You can't rebuild half-a**ed. It's all or nothing! :rolleyes:

Archived