Andrew Miller Trade to Orioles

FlipCup

Why can't we be happy about the season but still criticize the decisions we don't agree with? I don't agree with some of the criticisms I'm reading, but I don't think those critics are unhappy about how this season is going, and I have no problem with them raising their concerns.
Because talking about it makes little to no difference to anyone involved? It seems as if people are just finding something to be right about. Of course it's "ok" to criticize any of the Orioles actions' date=' at any time, but what possible healthy motive could one have to be harping on these trades right now? Especially when both trade results constitute an important part of our playoff chances.

Be right and say I told you so if we lose. My thoughts may be irrational, but these kind of threads annoy me.[/quote']

Because we have had these debates, over and over again, and having them again changes NOTHING. The deals are done, they can't be changed, ever, and that's all there is too it. People should leave them at that. People wanted a front office and a GM whose more aggressive and inclined to add to the team if it looks competitive, but we keep getting people with revisionist history mindsets and a need to complain to say the moves made were the wrong moves. All while the current team wins the division and has a good shot in the playoffs. That doesn't jive with me, at all. There's a time and a place to complain about things, but it's not right now, and it's not about decisions that have already been made and cannot be undone.

Guess what -- nothing said on this message board on any topic makes any difference to the people actually involved, and nothing said on this board changes anything that actually happens with the Orioles. So I guess, under your logic, Tony should just shut the place down.

Sometimes I agree with things the Orioles do, and sometimes I disagree. Either way, I like to hear other people's points of view and I enjoy discussing and debating with them, or looking at both sides' arguments, whether we are a playoff team or a doormat. Trades, especially deadline trades, are almost always a choice between improving the team now or giving up something to try to improve the team for later. Those are often tough choices, and just because a team is winning doesn't mean it isn't interesting to debate whether the choices were correct or not. If you don't enjoy these kinds of debates, then don't read them. I do enjoy them, even when I disagree with whoever is criticizing the team, so long as the posters involved are supporting their positions and not just trading hyperbole and insults. I think that's been the case here, for the most part.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because we have had these debates, over and over again, and having them again changes NOTHING. The deals are done, they can't be changed, ever, and that's all there is too it. People should leave them at that. People wanted a front office and a GM whose more aggressive and inclined to add to the team if it looks competitive, but we keep getting people with revisionist history mindsets and a need to complain to say the moves made were the wrong moves. All while the current team wins the division and has a good shot in the playoffs. That doesn't jive with me, at all. There's a time and a place to complain about things, but it's not right now, and it's not about decisions that have already been made and cannot be undone.

Complain about the trades when they are made or not at all. ANd when the guys we traded for are great successes and the guys we gave up haven't done squat yet you don't need to remind us how bad the trades were. I mean at least wait until the guys we gave up have any sort of success in the majors at all to tell us you told us so. Hader hasn't don't anything above single A and Norris has been outstanding this season in the majors. And Miller has been lights out and ERod hasn't even done anything at AAA yet much less the majors that is what is so annoying.

I think Andrew Miller is one of the more underrated players in MLB.

Are people really underrating him, though? I think pretty much everyone familiar with him knows what he can do. If people aren't familiar with him it's because he's a non-closing reliever. He's not a dime-a-dozen but at the same time I think there's a lot of good relievers who fly under the radar because of their roles. That's a little different to me than underrating.

All you gotta do is watch the guy throw a slider and you're not underrating him anymore :laughlol:

I think Andrew Miller is one of the more underrated players in MLB.
He is. He is. A weapon.

Just like EdRod pitched much better for Portland than he did for Bowie, Miller is pitching better for us than he did for the Red Sox. It's not like he has always been so infallible. What's making him so effective is that he hasn't had bouts of wildness since coming to the Orioles. That's always been his Achilles heel. Here are his stats since becoming a full time reliever in 2012:

2012: 3.35 ERA, 6.2 H/9, 4.5 BB/9, 11.4 K/9

2013: 2.64 ERA, 7.3 H/9, 5.0 BB/9, 14.9 K/9

2014 (BOS): 2.34 ERA, 5.3 H/9, 2.8 BB/9, 14.7 K/9

2014 (BAL): 1.04 ERA, 3.6 H/9, 1.6 BB/9, 15.6 K/9

Bottom line, if he isn't going to beat himself with walks, you can't hit him. So for the future, the question is whether he'll maintain a good BB/9 rate, or go back to being the 5 BB/9 guy he was before 2014. Whatever he does, he probably won't be as good as he is right now. He's on quite a roll.

Just like EdRod pitched much better for Portland than he did for Bowie, Miller is pitching better for us than he did for the Red Sox. It's not like he has always been so infallible. What's making him so effective is that he hasn't had bouts of wildness since coming to the Orioles. That's always been his Achilles heel. Here are his stats since becoming a full time reliever in 2012:

2012: 3.35 ERA, 6.2 H/9, 4.5 BB/9, 11.4 K/9

2013: 2.64 ERA, 7.3 H/9, 5.0 BB/9, 14.9 K/9

2014 (BOS): 2.34 ERA, 5.3 H/9, 2.8 BB/9, 14.7 K/9

2014 (BAL): 1.04 ERA, 3.6 H/9, 1.6 BB/9, 15.6 K/9

Bottom line, if he isn't going to beat himself with walks, you can't hit him. So for the future, the question is whether he'll maintain a good BB/9 rate, or go back to being the 5 BB/9 guy he was before 2014. Whatever he does, he probably won't be as good as he is right now. He's on quite a roll.

We just need him to be good for 11 games.

Any chance this guy wants to go back to starting? Are we offering to look into that with him? He looks like Sale to me.

That's the problem w/ relievers. When they're dominant, you want them to start (see: Britton). But there's a reason why they're relievers. Increased velocity, not as many crisp pitches.

Archived