Better utility guy

auzzy98

But, he is just a bench player that can play multiple positions on the field.

Not like you are depending on his bat to carry this team on a daily basis.

So if you don't care for his .206 average, what say you about Chris Davis and his under .200 batting average this season?

What sort of question is that???? Comparing DAVIS to Flaherty? Just because of a similar BA??? Gimme a break. When has Flaherty ever hit as many homers or knocked in as manny runs as Davis? He won't have an entire career with numbers probably totalling what Davis had last season. That has to be the lamest comparison I have ever seen here.:eektf::rolleyestf:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, he is just a bench player that can play multiple positions on the field.

Not like you are depending on his bat to carry this team on a daily basis.

So if you don't care for his .206 average, what say you about Chris Davis and his under .200 batting average this season?

Ok. I also don't like Flaherty for his .200 avg, lack of power, lack of batting eye, lack of pitches seen/Ab. Davis has a poor avg. but has power, we all know there is no comparison

I don't start many threads, and if this has already been discussed, please forgive me. But doesn't there have to be a better option we can go and get for next year than Ryan Flaherty? He has been given opportunity upon opportunity over the last few seasons, and has not been able to be consistent with the bat especially, but even recently with the glove. Who is out there that would be an upgrade? Someone like Zobrist obviously comes to mind. Drew has had an awful year, but at least has a pretty good track record. Any chance we could get him cheap next year?
This is the question. Neither Zobrist or Drew are utility types, nor are they paid like one. Utility guys, like back up catchers, aren't chosen for their bats. And they don't usually get enough PA in any one season for their statistics to have much meaning. Perhaps you should go around the league looking at the various depth charts and check out the offensive and defensive numbers of other teams' utility types. Holt Brock comes immediately to mind but he will be playing full time for BOS next year.

I don't care for him either much, but some here love the guy and were spewing all kind of negative comments towards Delmon Young, who I happen to like and defend. To each their own, but despite Redskin Rick spouting that Flaherty is better than Andino, he will never prove it to me. I will always recall Andino's big role in knocking the Red Sox out of the playoffs. Flaherty, I have no big memory of doing anything like that when the chips were on the line.

Fair enough, you don't believe my assessment of Andino, why isn't he playing for any of the other MLB clubs? None, why is that?

Flaherty has at least one game winning hit this year, back in May at Tampa, he had the game winner hit, driving in two in the 8th, with the game tied up.

Fair enough, you don't believe my assessment of Andino, why isn't he playing for any of the other MLB clubs? None, why is that?

Flaherty has at least one game winning hit this year, back in May at Tampa, he had the game winner hit, driving in two in the 8th, with the game tied up.

You ask why Andino isn't playing for any other MLB clubs and I have no idea, when I see someone like Flaherty playing. You actually make a case why he isn't playing when Flaherty is. Not a whole lot of distinction there other than Andino is RH hitter and Flaherty LH

I don't care for him either much, but some here love the guy and were spewing all kind of negative comments towards Delmon Young, who I happen to like and defend. To each their own, but despite Redskin Rick spouting that Flaherty is better than Andino, he will never prove it to me. I will always recall Andino's big role in knocking the Red Sox out of the playoffs. Flaherty, I have no big memory of doing anything like that when the chips were on the line.

Well there was the third inning HR in game 3 of the ALDS against Hiroki Kuroda, one of only two HR's hit by the O's in 5 games.

Gave the O's a 1-0 lead, but they eventually in 12 after a Jim Johnson blown save in the 9th

But how could that compare to Andino blooping a ball in front of Carl Crawford that he should have caught to give the last place O's a basically meaningless win

You ask why Andino isn't playing for any other MLB clubs and I have no idea, when I see someone like Flaherty playing. You actually make a case why he isn't playing when Flaherty is. Not a whole lot of distinction there other than Andino is RH hitter and Flaherty LH

You mention Andino is better than Flash, and of course, we are of different opinions. But, seriously, if Andino had any game left in him, he would be playing. His days are past him. Nice guy and I wish him well.

You said his bat was better, when the stat don't back that up.

Well there was the third inning HR in game 3 of the ALDS against Hiroki Kuroda, one of only two HR's hit by the O's in 5 games.

Gave the O's a 1-0 lead, but they eventually in 12 after a Jim Johnson blown save in the 9th

But how could that compare to Andino blooping a ball in front of Carl Crawford that he should have caught to give the last place O's a basically meaningless win

Yeah that's maybe a good point, but i was at that game and it was easily the most memorable game i have ever been to! Running the aisles taunting the Sox fans after the game was incredible. You will never take that game and thrill away from me! It was awesome! I have a mug made with me and my friends picture on it from when we were on Masn with our rally caps on

Apparently, you have never watched nor possess the "Buckle Up Birds" DVD, which is a darn shame.:( If you had, you would (or should if you think about it) realize that "meaningless" win knocked out the hated Redsox from the playoffs and propelled the confidence of this team under Buck to know they could play with the big boys in the division and were no longer a laughing stock. I mean cmon, they even call that game the "Curse of the Andino" game. If anything it is way more important in Orioles fan lore than Flaherty's solo homer in a playoff game they LOST!:rolleyestf:

You mention Andino is better than Flash, and of course, we are of different opinions. But, seriously, if Andino had any game left in him, he would be playing. His days are past him. Nice guy and I wish him well.

You said his bat was better, when the stat don't back that up.

I think the OP said his bat was better. I think they are about the same. I do think Andino was a better clutch hitter, or seemed to come up with bigger hits or home runs than Flaherty (other than his one playoff solo shot).

Apparently, you have never watched nor possess the "Buckle Up Birds" DVD, which is a darn shame.:( If you had, you would (or should if you think about it) realize that "meaningless" win knocked out the hated Redsox from the playoffs and propelled the confidence of this team under Buck to know they could play with the big boys in the division and were no longer a laughing stock. I mean cmon, they even call that game the "Curse of the Andino" game. If anything it is way more important in Orioles fan lore than Flaherty's solo homer in a playoff game they LOST!:rolleyestf:

Your hyperbole is laughable

I don't give a hoot about fan lore.

The O's have three consecutive winning seasons by improving their talent, like replacing Robert Andino with Ryan Flaherty

I think the OP said his bat was better. I think they are about the same. I do think Andino was a better clutch hitter, or seemed to come up with bigger hits or home runs than Flaherty (other than his one playoff solo shot).

Seemed to ?? Well don't let facts sway you.

In 4 years and 1223 PA's Andino hit 16 HRs

In 3 years and 693 PA's Flaherty has hit 22HRs

Andino 1 HR every 76.4 PA

Flaherty 1 HR every 31.5 PA

or t9 phrase it differently Flaherty is more than twice as likely to hit a HR

Archived