Dyson Said He Doesn't Expect Series To Return To Baltimore

section18

The Orioles will play better. The Royals have played over their abilities for weeks. This series will have plenty of turns. Consider the first year that 7 game ALCS was played. One team lost the first two, won the third, lost the fourth to trsil 3-1 and then won 3 in a row. That team? KC Royals over Blue Jays. Teams that are hot always look invincible. Look at Oakland when they were hot. Until they are not. And it happens just like turning off a spigot. We will be back in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What shred of evidence have any of us seen that would indicate he is wrong? Seriously? Unless you score 10 runs on one of their starters, what chance do you have? They roll out one cyborg after another from the pen. Their 9 hitter is better than most teams' 5 hitter. Nothing but speed all over the place. They decide they need to score in an inning and like magic, they score. We have not had the lead once. How many innings have we gotten them 1-2-3? One inning? They have zero injured players.

I love our guys and I am so appreciative of the season they had, but I have never seen an opponent where I literally feel powerless watching.

Yeah, they are great team. That's how they won so many more games than we did this year. Oh, they didn't? Well maybe they don't always play at this level.

The primary reason we are down is because our 2 starting pitchers have pitched to ERAs of 8.31 and 10.38 in the series. You feel this somehow guarantees that our next two starters will do just as poorly.

Those of us who have watched baseball for a while know that isn't how it works. You, like many others, seem to like to extrapolate every negative and assume it is a trend and not an isolated incident.

Maybe it will be Jeremy Guthrie who doesn't get the job done as a starter next game. And believe it or not, their bullpen wasn't ANY better than ours was during the season. They were both great. Many an opponent probably talked about our bullpen the way you talk about theirs. Unfortunately, we've had a few bad outings by our bullpen in this series as well. That can happen for them too. They aren't unhittable, we got 4 baserunners on Holland in his 2 innings of work this weekend.

Yeah, we have to win 4 of 5, but it can happen. Next game will be a completely different game. Its outcome will hinge on how our hitters do against a starter who has not yet pitched in this series, and how their hitters do against a starter who has not yet pitched in this series yet. So when you assume that because the first two games have gone a particular way, it is somehow proof that the next games will, I think that is absurd.

Let's go to KC and win the "3 game series" -- we have won PLENTY of 3 game series this year, and plenty on the road, and plenty vs good teams (including the team with the best record in baseball). Let's do that and bring it back to Baltimore and see what happens next.

A pinch runner who is 0 for 2 stealing thinks that? Wow, stop the presses.

Have we heard from their assistant trainer or the groundskeeper on the subject yet? How about the men's room attendant from the Kaufmann Stadium Club Level?

I think this Royals team is good, but playing WAY over their heads right now. Every bloop, every play is going pretty much their way right now. They could very well ride this wave and never lose another game this season. Or, they could fall off the edge quickly, and come crashing down to earth.

I don't think Buck or the Orioles care on iota what Mr. Dyson has to say.

A pinch runner who is 0 for 2 stealing thinks that? Wow, stop the presses.

Have we heard from their assistant trainer or the groundskeeper on the subject yet? How about the men's room attendant from the Kaufmann Stadium Club Level?

A friend of mine who drove through Kansas (not Kansas City, but the state) one time thinks it's over.

It's an incredibly arrogant statement. I would not be happy about it if I were Ned Yost.

And for those people acting like we are playing some superior opponent...look at the facts. Royals barely made the playoffs, and could not keep pace with the Tigers. They are on paper the weakest team on the AL side in the playoffs.

We scored 4 runs yesterday, and 6 runs the day before. If our pitching performs the way it should, that beats the Orioles. Even with a bad start, we had chances to win as late as the 9th. Each game was given away in the late inning by Britton and O'Day.

The big question here is will Buck adapt? O'Day should not pitch to lefties with the tying/go ahead run at bat. He should seriously consider Miller and Britton swapping roles for a game or two.

This year in the regular season, we won 2 out of 3 from them at Kaufman. The one we lose was a 1 - 0 shutout throw by Danny Duffy. If we do that again, or better yet, go 3 for 3, we have a good chance of winning when it comes back here.

Yeah, they are great team. That's how they won so many more games than we did this year. Oh, they didn't? Well maybe they don't always play at this level.

The primary reason we are down is because our 2 starting pitchers have pitched to ERAs of 8.31 and 10.38 in the series. You feel this somehow guarantees that our next two starters will do just as poorly.

And you seem to guarantee they can't do as poorly by citing this is how baseball works.

Those of us who have watched baseball for a while know that isn't how it works.

That's kind of been his point all along. It's utterly amazing how a team scratched its way in without hitting much all year to be blasting a team that handled everyone all year. One 1-2-3 inning out of 18. They've hit our starters (unlike anyone all year) and hit our bullpen (unlike anyone all year) for 18 innings and have magically gotten out one jam after another as if they truly had far superior talent. They don't.

You, like many others, seem to like to extrapolate every negative and assume it is a trend and not an isolated incident.

Well, when does it end, then?

Maybe it will be Jeremy Guthrie who doesn't get the job done as a starter next game. And believe it or not, their bullpen wasn't ANY better than ours was during the season. They were both great. Many an opponent probably talked about our bullpen the way you talk about theirs. Unfortunately, we've had a few bad outings by our bullpen in this series as well. That can happen for them too. They aren't unhittable, we got 4 baserunners on Holland in his 2 innings of work this weekend.

And that wasn't the first time. But they've gotten out of so many jams that they expect to now.

Yeah, we have to win 4 of 5, but it can happen. Next game will be a completely different game. Its outcome will hinge on how our hitters do against a starter who has not yet pitched in this series, and how their hitters do against a starter who has not yet pitched in this series yet. So when you assume that because the first two games have gone a particular way, it is somehow proof that the next games will, I think that is absurd.

Umm, it's gone this way for 6 games now. It may be equally absurd to insist anything else. Have you watched these games? Have you seen the level of amazing play, clutch plays and plays that are simply due to luck carry on for such sustained length? I personally haven't. And we're going to trot out Chen to change this magical wave?

Let's go to KC and win the "3 game series" -- we have won PLENTY of 3 game series this year, and plenty on the road, and plenty vs good teams (including the team with the best record in baseball). Let's do that and bring it back to Baltimore and see what happens next.

I agree. Let's do it.

Who's starting game 3?

The Orioles will play better. The Royals have played over their abilities for weeks. This series will have plenty of turns. Consider the first year that 7 game ALCS was played. One team lost the first two, won the third, lost the fourth to trsil 3-1 and then won 3 in a row. That team? KC Royals over Blue Jays. Teams that are hot always look invincible. Look at Oakland when they were hot. Until they are not. And it happens just like turning off a spigot. We will be back in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, this is what we're counting on to happen. But it MUST happen the next game, right?

Has nothing to do with our guys really....it is them. They have actually forgotten that they lost 73 games this year. Completely forgotten. We are just the opponent for the next two games, until they get four games against either the Cards or Giants.

I will reiterate....I love our guys and love our team. Damn proud of them for this season. But I don't see how KC loses a game to anyone unless some of their guys get hurt.

I echo your sentiments fully in all your posts. And I don't think this is negative speak as we understand our team is doing its best. It's just mystifying to see such sustained superior play not only in this series but four games prior. They cannot be stopped. This is not what they believe, it is what they know as illustrated in the statement. The only question is do the Orioles agree and will doubt start creeping in.

I can't quantify the level of play, the number of situations going one way, the sustained excellence by guys who over a 162-game season showed none of this ability and it continues on and on and on as if they were 110-game winners.

But this is a resilient, proud Orioles team that has overcome every obstacle in its path to this point. This is a huge test for them. They need to believe in themselves and block out all the craziness that has taken place and make them earn everything. I know they will battle these Royals to the end but it needs to turn around immediately as I can't fathom a comeback from 3-0 the way that other team plays and believes in itself at the moment.

Let's go win game 3 and bring them back to earth. Can't wait for Monday.

Pretty sure this little quote isn't going to make us take more balls, move runners over, defend better, run faster, or make them do things worse than they have. Seriously, how can Dyson even respect us? He knows that all they need to do is keep the game close and we will find a way to lose. I am not sure that if I was on KC, I would worry at all about any of our players. What have we shown them?

I can't believe what I'm reading. The O's have played them tough. The first game went into extra innings and the 2nd game was tied going into the 9th. I think both teams are playing great baseball. Unfortunately, the Royals are peaking and are playing a little better. The Orioles ran into a team on a serious hot streak right now.

But I do agree Dyson's quote won't make the team play better. If it was football, then sure what not. Any given Sunday right? But it's baseball. It doesn't work like that.

Regarding SteveA's comment about our starters era numbers-do we think this is a control issue or a over coaching re stopping the run game issue?

I feel better if it's just a control issue and not related to how the pitchers are being coached. Comments elsewhere about our guys being too distracted by the run game are causing doubt in my mind about our strategy with kc.

Archived