Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

How would resigning allow Williams to take the Jays job? He's under contract and most contracts stipulate if you quit you can't take another job within a certain timeframe (usually a year) to my knowledge.

Not letting him interview is one thing. Not letting him interview after he resigns is something else. Would it be worth the hit in reputation from them to block a now unemployed Williams?

Would be funny if he quit, interviewed then didn't get the job.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless its a promotion.

Most contracts stipulate if your employed you cannot interview without permission. The way around that is to resign, then you can interview. You cant accept a lateral job but you could take a promotion.

Personally this is GOOD NEWS.

If Williams is willing to resign he must feel the job is his or there is a high probability. Which tells me that perhaps DD has shot them down ...just speculating.

No. That isn't how it works.

He is not the one initiating this, he has plausible deniability.

If you think these type of games are not played all the time in business and particularly in MLB then your just not paying attention. Does anyone really believe that the Cubs and Maddon did not have backdoor conversations?

I don't think that anyone in the industry would blink an eye at such gamesmanship, its a dog eat dog industry. I have no doubt that DD has had NO official contact with the Jays. I have no doubt though in unofficial ways DD has said sure...if its a promotion, big raise and more autonomy I'd be interested. He would be stupid to not be. These things happen all the time, nobody cares except the team that loses a guy. Ask the Rays. These are high powered business men who make a living trying to get over on one another. Thinking DD is some ethical behemoth who sprinkles flowers and fairy dust around the warehouse is just not realistic. I think he loves working for the Orioles but could learn to love working for the Jays if its to his personal benefit.

If you think this is some Machiavellian gambit by Dan Duquette - which is the gist of the post I responded to - then you watch way, WAY too much bad television.

I think the timing of this is really bush league on the Blue Jays' part. I've got no problem with them seeking to talk to Duquette, but this isn't the right time for that.

Not surprising. Everything the Blue Jays do is bush league. From stealing signs to their players acting like they've actually won something. Its classles organization from top to bottom. Atleast the Yankees have some sense of respect.

Not letting him interview is one thing. Not letting him interview after he resigns is something else. Would it be worth the hit in reputation from them to block a now unemployed Williams?

Would be funny if he quit, interviewed then didn't get the job.

Not really cause DD would be the most likely guy to get it then.

Let him have it. :) He is not that good a GM anyway ...not terrible but not DD either IMO

If you think this is some Machiavellian gambit by Dan Duquette - which is the gist of the post I responded to - then you watch way, WAY too much bad television.

No I don't think DD is some evil engineer who designed this.

I do not think though he is beyond using circumstances to his benefit as most people in the real world do. If he can get a raise and promotion out of Toronto being interested how is that some Machiavellian gambit. Its just making the most out of opportunity and circumstances.

Unless its a promotion.

Most contracts stipulate if your employed you cannot interview without permission. The way around that is to resign, then you can interview. You cant accept a lateral job but you could take a promotion.

Personally this is GOOD NEWS.

If Williams is willing to resign he must feel the job is his or there is a high probability. Which tells me that perhaps DD has shot them down ...just speculating.

If thats the case, Dylan Bundy could retire. Then sign with a team guaranteeing him a spot in their mlb rotation. It usually doesn't work that way.

So why resign then? Explain that. Not being smart but explain why he would resign if it did not facilitate him being able to interview and take the job.

Gamesmanship. Letting it be known that he's considering resigning might encourage them to fire him. Then, there should be nothing blocking him from interviewing.

Archived