Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been numerous times I've been glad PA owns the O's. This is one of them.

PA's careful with his words. I'm probably being way too hopeful here but I'm reading "I'm willing to make alterations to DD's role here if that's what it takes." Implying there could be an extension four years down the line is a bit of a left-field thing to mention.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jim Duquette said Dan Duq is not unhappy w-O's: "No. He loves it there. He's settled his family there, has a house there & loves the O's."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who says they would have to ask permission - is it in DD's contract? A gentleman's agreement? Rogers Communications is a business, the BJ's are one small investment - Rogers is a conglomerate. This decision is not made by anyone in the organization and, from last I heard (thank you Lord), you do not have to seek permission to interview a candidate unless THEIR contract forbids it. If anyone employee signed that contract they should sue their counsel for malpractice. I do not know sports contracts so have no idea if there is any non-compete clauses...

There is this pesky rule about tampering. Quite interesting, really.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't surprise me at all if DD was using this for leverage for a promotion and/or raise within the Orioles organization.

As he should. That would be the more respectable route. It would also give him the chance to finish out the offseason and make a smooth transition for the new GM.

There's been plenty of implications, such as Rosenthal saying DD wants the job.

I wouldn't put too much into a Rosenthal tweet. I'm sure any GM would be interested in a President/CEO job. But without permission from the O's, the Blue Jays could not discuss the job with Duquette. I doubt that happened.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former O's exec Jim Duquette on Dan Duq: "As a GM, u get an opportunity 2 b a pres./CEO, that is the ultimate 4 an exec in our industry."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

It sounds like his cousin is speaking for him. If he wants to go, let him go. if he doesn't want to be with the Orioles, the Orioles don't want him. They are plenty of people available.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bottom line: Duquette isn't going to Toronto unless Peter Angelos allows -- and he wants to keep him. There is no contractual back door.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

Yes, he would need for the Orioles to let him go to take the job. Traditionally, baseball teams do not prevent personnel from accepting a higher level job with another team.

Traditionally teams don' try to hire away another team's GM at the start of the winter meetings. Toronto threw the words "traditionally" and "courtesy" out the window on this one. PA is 100% right on this one. DD is under contract to the Orioles for 4 years. Toronto can go suck an egg.

I wouldn't put too much into a Rosenthal tweet. I'm sure any GM would be interested in a President/CEO job. But without permission from the O's, the Blue Jays could not discuss the job with Duquette. I doubt that happened.

Difference between wants and interested. Rosenthal is respected enough to know the difference. We aren't talking about Roch or Melewski here.

Archived