Defense today?

psychboy12

There weren't a lot of challenging plays to be made defensively -- Tillman induced a lot of pop-ups -- but they looked pretty solid. Snider came in on a ball lined to shallow right and made a sliding catch, and he also threw out a runner at home with Joseph making a nice tag (the Rays challenged the play, saying that Joseph blocked the lane, but they lost the challenge). In the first inning, a low curve from Tillman bounced away from Joseph, and Jaso tried to take second but Joseph fired to Flaherty to throw him out. The throw itself was on the wrong side of the bag but Flaherty dropped his left shin flush against the ground in front of the base, preventing Jaso from being able to get his hand on the bag.

And Joseph let a passed ball by him on what should have been a strikeout to end the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was ruled a wild pitch. Joseph was set up to receive the ball on the outside part of the plate, but the pitch was so far inside he had to turn his glove the other way. Lots of movement on the slider, though. Good to see Britton using that pitch.

The throw by Joseph and yah by flarherty were pretty good

Flash blocking second was my favorite play of the day. Admittedly I didn't see the whole game though.

On a side note, did Tampa forget to pay the electric bill. Some of the outfield plays looked like sand lot games we tried to finish before dark. When the history is played out with that team I think they are going to regret not having better accommodations when they were winning. That place is terrible.

The run down was pretty sloppy IMO. Not a fast runner and Flaherty diving to get tag. Joseph had a nice day. One important "play" of the game was when after a lead off walk, followed by two more balls by Tillman Joseph went to the mound. The 2-0 pitch was pooped up and Tillman cruised through the inning. This is one thing I notice that he does that MW rarely did. When pitchers are getting out of synch, slow the game down and give them a chance to get their head back into the game.

Archived