Dan Duquette's Series of Unfortunate Events

CanadianOriole

But I would even dispute your claim that the results are negative. For at least 1 through 7 there were positive results that you conveniently left out. Miller's performance in the playoffs, Hardy's defense, lack of bad contracts, all of Nick's poor stats aside from OBP. It was a very one-sided post.

I mean, he notes "Tarpley 1-0 1.80 in the minors" without mentioning that is a result of a single 5 inning start this week. It is obviously going to be a very one-sided post.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

o

I guess I'll take your word for it.

I don't remember the lots of grumbling until after his self-inflicted concussion in 2010, long after he signed the extension in the 2008-2009 off-season.

I'm glad you made the distinction. The injury he "suffered" through was brought about by his own stupidity.

I remember when this happened back in 1993.

The player was paralyzed for life after slamming his head into the post out of frustration.

[video=youtube;xyRy04Hn_-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyRy04Hn_-k

There were a large number of people that didn't like it at the time.

But not necessarily people here. I think the majority of folks here were happy when the trades of Brian fell through or were nixed and when he was given a contract which paid him for his last several seasons. Even after it had been revealed that some of his best work was done while using enhancements. This has been a pretty loyal site.

o

I guess I'll take your word for it.

I don't remember the lots of grumbling until after his self-inflicted concussion in 2010, long after he signed the extension in the 2008-2009 off-season.

I was grumbling, I was grumbling a lot. Bad target to extend.

I'm glad you made the distinction. The injury he "suffered" through was brought about by his own stupidity.

From what I have read about Brian's ordeal, and those of other concussion victims, they most certainly do suffer. I am honestly surprised the suicide rate isn't higher amongst those that suffered the type of concussion he had.

But not necessarily people here. I think the majority of folks here were happy when the trades of Brian fell through or were nixed and when he was given a contract which paid him for his last several seasons. Even after it had been revealed that some of his best work was done while using enhancements. This has been a pretty loyal site.

I can't say as to numbers, but there was a very vocal collection that pointed to the clear historical trends for middle-infielders entering their mid-30s.

Were those people saying that it was a huge mistake at the time of the signing, or were they saying so after Roberts' numerous concussions, the first of which was self-inflicted ???

The discussion in those days was pretty vigorous as to whether BRob should be extended or traded for prospects. IIRC the former choice topped out at around 3/30. After he was re-signed at 4/40 a great many of us thought it was not only too much but an opportunity lost and said so.

The discussion in those days was pretty vigorous as to whether BRob should be extended or traded for prospects. IIRC the former choice topped out at around 3/30. After he was re-signed at 4/40 a great many of us thought it was not only too much but an opportunity lost and said so.

OK, thanks for that info.

As I said, I was not posting here (on the OH) at the time, and was mostly reading Baltimore Sun articles, and listening to Baltimore Sports Talk Radio in regard to the Markakis and Roberts signings.

One man's stupidity is another man's intensity for the game. Why "suffered"?

Really? Now smacking yourself in the head with a blunt instrument is perceived as intensely competitive? Fine.

The "suffered" remark was how it had been characterized in an earlier post, not by me.

From what I have read about Brian's ordeal, and those of other concussion victims, they most certainly do suffer. I am honestly surprised the suicide rate isn't higher amongst those that suffered the type of concussion he had.

I was speaking only to the fact that he "suffered" at his own hands, it wasn't an accidental act suffered during the course of action in a game.

Really? Now smacking yourself in the head with a blunt instrument is perceived as intensely competitive? Fine.

The "suffered" remark was how it had been characterized in an earlier post, not by me.

Considering Brian has said had hit himself in the helmet with a bat "a million times" before I don't think it is necessary to judge it as a stupid act. If everybody thought it was so stupid then surely a coach or manager would have told him to stop doing it. He did it all the time with no consequences. Expressing frustration with failure seems competitive to me.

Considering Brian has said had hit himself in the helmet with a bat "a million times" before I don't think it is necessary to judge it as a stupid act. If everybody thought it was so stupid then surely a coach or manager would have told him to stop doing it. He did it all the time with no consequences. Expressing frustration with failure seems competitive to me.

I think he did something stupid a million times.

The fact that it took that long to burn him doesn't mean it wasn't stupid the first time he did it.

I think he did something stupid a million times.

The fact that it took that long to burn him doesn't mean it wasn't stupid the first time he did it.

Of course not, but if it was so obviously stupid then every one of the Orioles managers and coaches must have been total failures at their jobs for not getting him to stop doing it.

And you have no problem with accepting the accuracy of that number? Come on. Boxers take punches for years. Do you think there are no consequences? And why are you so sure his coaches didn't mention it to him? He's a grown man after all. It didn't seem to stop him from taking steroids (just once of course) but I'm sure he knew better then.

There are better ways to express frustration with failure than to hit yourself in the head with a blunt object.

Archived