Baltimore finally going.......

Belkast

I've been a proponent of the Baltimore-on-the-road-jerseys idea (along with everyone else, it seems) for a long time. But here's one reason I can think of for keeping it off:

I remember being about 6 or 7 years old when they stopped wearing it, and, to this little kid, it seemed like a good idea. I really thought the script "Baltimore" looked too long, compressed, awkward... just plain odd, especially compared to the near-perfection of the script "Orioles" on the home jerseys! So while I like the idea of putting "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, I'm not sure how good it will look in practice, aesthetically-speaking.

[OK, I didn't say it would be a good reason.. :)]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been a proponent of the Baltimore-on-the-road-jerseys idea (along with everyone else, it seems) for a long time. But here's one reason I can think of for keeping it off:

I remember being about 6 or 7 years old when they stopped wearing it, and, to this little kid, it seemed like a good idea. I really thought the script "Baltimore" looked too long, compressed, awkward... just plain odd, especially compared to the near-perfection of the script "Orioles" on the home jerseys! So while I like the idea of putting "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, I'm not sure how good it will look in practice, aesthetically-speaking.

[OK, I didn't say it would be a good reason.. :)]

Maybe that is what is taking so long. Getting the look of "Baltimore" in cursive right.

What I have heard, which appears to be the only decent reason is that the Orioles are a regional team and don't want to alientate fans outside the City limits.... being a decent reason in that they are covered from Pa all the way down to NC. Whether this is true or not is debatable... I can say being an Orioles fan all my life and not living in the Baltimore area ever, it has no effect on me either way.

The Braves cover possibly the biggest "region" in the MLB fanbase. Braves fans reach from Atlanta, through the Carolinas, all the way up to Richmond. They have "Atlanta" on their road jerseys. So basically, I don't really think even that is a decent reason.

I'm from Virginia, and I advocate putting Baltimore back on the jerseys. Bring back some pride to the area.

The Orioles in their first couple of seasons did not have Baltimore on the uniforms at all either...

1954 Uniform

1955 Uniform

I think the reason everybody wants to see Baltimore back on the uniforms is because when it was on there, we had a good winning team for most of those years. I think when people think of that jersey, they associate it with winning.

The Orioles in their first couple of seasons did not have Baltimore on the uniforms at all either...

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Baltimore&lowYear=&highYear=&sort=year&increment=9

I think the reason everybody wants to see Baltimore back on the uniforms is because when it was on there, we had a good winning team for most of those years. I think when people think of that jersey, they associate it with winning.

Of course, with the non-"Baltimore" jerseys, the Orioles didn't win fewer then 88 games in any non-strike year though 1983 :P

The Braves cover possibly the biggest "region" in the MLB fanbase. Braves fans reach from Atlanta, through the Carolinas, all the way up to Richmond. They have "Atlanta" on their road jerseys. So basically, I don't really think even that is a decent reason.

I'm from Virginia, and I advocate putting Baltimore back on the jerseys. Bring back some pride to the area.

Don't forget Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee. Especially the over 30 crowd who aren't confused by the Rays and Marlins.

Of course, with the non-"Baltimore" jerseys, the Orioles didn't win fewer then 88 games in any non-strike year though 1983 :P

Yeah but they won two World Series in that period with Baltimore on the jerseys as opposed to only one without... ;)

Quoting myself is FUN...and easier than typing the same thing over and over again!

LINK TO PREVIOUS THREAD

The problem is they only get to choose 3 now with all the rules. They get a home, road and alternate. The alternate is only worn on Monday's, Thursday's or part of a double header (if so desired), as playing on those days don't happen that often.

The O's did not change jerseys during their double header on Thursday, nor did they wear the alternate, due to the rain out from the night before.

The problem is they only get to choose 3 now with all the rules. They get a home, road and alternate. The alternate is only worn on Monday's, Thursday's or part of a double header (if so desired), as playing on those days don't happen that often.

The O's did not change jerseys during their double header on Thursday, nor did they wear the alternate, due to the rain out from the night before.

I thought they wore the alternates with the O's on the hats for Friday home games. Am I wrong?

They won three straight NL titles in the 1890s with the only markings on the jersey being a block "B" over the left breast pocket.

I think they should go back to the jerseys they wore in the IL in the 30s. No Baltimore on those - just that identical Orioles script with the bat and birds on both home and road.

Then we should change our colors to red and white and petition the General Assembly to change the state bird to the cardinal.

Then we should change our colors to red and white and petition the General Assembly to change the state bird to the cardinal.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's a great uniform idea, but it's the Cardinals' idea.

I thought they wore the alternates with the O's on the hats for Friday home games. Am I wrong?

No, you are correct and ElSid is wrong about his dates. I also believe I've seen the Braves and BoSox wearing their red jersey's on Sunday's a lot...

No, you are correct and ElSid is wrong about his dates. I also believe I've seen the Braves and BoSox wearing their red jersey's on Sunday's a lot...

Which that is fine. That is what I was told by my brother, as for the days in which the Orioles would wear the alternate uniform.

As for the Braves and BoSox, they can wear it for whatever days that MLB approved them to wear it. They have to turn in what days that they are going to wear the alternative, in order to avoid any conflict of same colors.

Archived