Trading Bedard

MAKEAMOVE

I for one don't get all the love shown here by some for Roberts. Personally, I think he is a tad overated especially by some Orioles fans. He steals a lot of bases is slightly above average defensively, but all in all not much of a clutch hitter if you ask me. I honestly think he is easily replacable. I would like to see Cabrera packaged with a minor league pitcher (Penn maybe) along with either Roberts and Mora and another prospect (possibly our top draft pick next year) for Texeira and Young.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I for one don't get all the love shown here by some for Roberts. Personally, I think he is a tad overated especially by some Orioles fans. He steals a lot of bases is slightly above average defensively, but all in all not much of a clutch hitter if you ask me. I honestly think he is easily replacable. I would like to see Cabrera packaged with a minor league pitcher (Penn maybe) along with either Roberts and Mora and another prospect (possibly our top draft pick next year) for Texeira and Young.

BRob is among the best 2B in baseball, both defensively and offensively. Perhaps you should run a comparison to the other 29 starting 2B in the league and I think you'll find that he is not over-valued at all. The guy is among the best leadoff men in baseball; he is a helluva player.

Trade Bedard, eh? To the National League?

I think we did that sort of thing before. The pitcher's name at that time was Curt Schilling. I think he has a World Series ring now.

I dont think the Orioles will let Bedard get away. If they do, then they remain as dysfunctional as they were the day before MacPhail took over.

Why trade your best pitcher when the top guy just said that the ONLY thing this organization has to build around is the good young starting pitching?

As for BRob? I dont really care if he stays or they trade him, or anybody else, as long as the trade makes sense and is one piece in a well thought out and executed plan.

We are below average at the following positions (way below in many),CF,LF,1B and could use a boost at 3B as well.

YOU HAVE TO TRADE TALENT TO GET TALENT(Gut being a rare exception).

The Met trade would be a great start to cover your OF deficiencies (and Pelfrey projects to become a strong 2 or even a one). Again factor in the rumblings that BEDARD IS OUTA HERE when his contract is up.

Roberts easily replaceable? Since his job is to get on-base so that the guys behind him can drive him in... and not necessarily be clutch (face it, he doesn't have too many chances to drive in runners because the bottom of the lineup sucks). Anyway...

Amongst all MLB 2B...

Brian Roberts - .402 OBP

Chase Utley - .398 OBP

BJ Upton - .396 OBP

Orlando Houston - .387 OBP

Placido Polanco - .382 OBP

So, what other 2nd baseman is going to replace Brian Roberts getting on base 40% of the time when he comes to the plate? Name just 1 player...

Nooooooo! You don't want to trade Bedard!

With the signing of MacPhail & a new manager, that's showing the players & fans that you are on the right track of bettering the team. And with the better players seeing this, lock up the team's core...starting with Bedard. Once you sign him, you are showing other teams & players that you plam on doing something. Plus, with Peter saying he's going to stay in the back more, maybe that will look mor epromising to future free agents that the O's will look at.

Well, considering that this isn't the NFL and we can't trade future draft picks -- I don't think this is gonna work out too well.

Witchy

I'd say the near-term odds of Bedard going anywhere are very slim with MacPhail in charge.

Maybe he gets dealt before or during his walk year, if he's not open to an extension. But now, or soon? Highly doubtful IMO.

I'd say the near-term odds of Bedard going anywhere are very slim with MacPhail in charge.

Maybe he gets dealt before or during his walk year, if he's not open to an extension. But now, or soon? Highly doubtful IMO.

I agree.....He isn't going anywhere.

Roberts easily replaceable? Since his job is to get on-base so that the guys behind him can drive him in... and not necessarily be clutch (face it, he doesn't have too many chances to drive in runners because the bottom of the lineup sucks). Anyway...

Amongst all MLB 2B...

Brian Roberts - .402 OBP

Chase Utley - .398 OBP

BJ Upton - .396 OBP

Orlando Houston - .387 OBP

Placido Polanco - .382 OBP

So, what other 2nd baseman is going to replace Brian Roberts getting on base 40% of the time when he comes to the plate? Name just 1 player...

Joe Morgan

Every personality on WNST from Rob Long to Bob Haynie say that they have sources in the warehouse and have even talked to Bedard about it. They all say that he is counting down the minutes until he is a Free Agent to get out of here. These are all people that I respect. I don't believe everything they put out there, but I believe them on this one. IMHO I say get 2 prospects (one being a young pitching stud) for him and move on. I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here.

Every personality on WNST from Rob Long to Bob Haynie say that they have sources in the warehouse and have even talked to Bedard about it. They all say that he is counting down the minutes until he is a Free Agent to get out of here. These are all people that I respect. I don't believe everything they put out there, but I believe them on this one. IMHO I say get 2 prospects (one being a young pitching stud) for him and move on. I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here.

There are too many sources that come to this conclusion---that is the main reason he should be dealt NOW.

If you're only getting 2 prospects back for Bedard, they'd better be slam dunks.

Archived