Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Terrible trading Kim.  I'll be rooting for him to get consistent ABs and prove us wrong.  Not only did he endure the ST slump, but he worked his way to getting consistent ABs last year and posted our highest OBP by far.  And how do we reward him?  By trading for essentially the same player in Seth Smith, who has posted a lower OBP at the top of the lineup than Kim did last year.  Sure, Mancini deserves the playing time, no one will argue that, but Kim's performance last year deserved to have more playing time, even over Smith.  

Since I've used the #freekim hashtag before, at least he is finally free.  

He's in a better place now.  At least his suffering is over.

Just now, SteveA said:

He's in a better place now.

My bet is that they give him consistent ABs, and flip him at the August 31st waiver deadline.  Trades done until that point have to pass through waivers, but can still be named to the post-season roster.  

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

To save us fans from watching anymore Ubaldo.  But I still think they will keep him and make us suffer.

Hey now. Ubaldo is my wife's favorite player. He's got a lower ERA than Tillman.

Kim was my favorite player. I really thought the way the fans treated him was wrong. This is supposedly a working class city that is for the little guy. Here was a guy who moved halfway around the world on a guaranteed contract. The employer didn't want to honor that contract and tried every dirty trick in the book to get him to quit. And how did the fans respond?

By booing him. A real low. The fans should have been giving him a standing O. It just proves to me that fans have no credibility when they talk about loyalty, etc. All they want is wins.

Thankfully, he didn't quit and ended up being a huge success last year.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:
Duq on Hellickson: "solid, dependable, vet ML starter who knows how to win in the AL, whose skill should provide some quality innings."

Saw that quote coming. I'm surprised Dan didn't add "success in this division" - five years ago, that is.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hellije01.shtml

Just now, Rojo13 said:

Hey now. Ubaldo is my wife's favorite player. He's got a lower ERA than Tillman.

Kim was my favorite player. I really thought the way the fans treated him was wrong. This is supposedly a working class city that is for the little guy. Here was a guy who moved halfway around the world on a guaranteed contract. The employer didn't want to honor that contract and tried every dirty trick in the book to get him to quit. And how did the fans respond?

By booing him. A real low. The fans should have been giving him a standing O. It just proves to me that fans have no credibility when they talk about loyalty, etc. All they want is wins.

Thankfully, he didn't quit and ended up being a huge success last year.

To go along with that story, how did said franchise reward him?  By acquiring a guy who does what Kim does at arguably the same level, better in some and worse in others, and giving him all of the ABs.  Great post. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:
Duq on Hellickson: "solid, dependable, vet ML starter who knows how to win in the AL, whose skill should provide some quality innings."

I think that came out of the "Jimenez Trade" file.

I'm pretty sure our current starters know how to win in the AL. Hell, I have a pretty good idea how to win in the AL. But I can't do what I know you have to do, and neither can most of them. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How in God's name did they come to this deal? What an odd, off the wall deal. 

The were sitting at table and had one of those big spinning wheel each team got three spins.  Phil you landed on Cleavinger first spin intl slot second spin and Kim on third.  Orioles got cash then Hellickson the cash again the third spin.

Archived