Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Really you following me around insulting me because I didn't think your poll had enough choices says a lot about you.  And why did you create the poll if you don't get enjoyment out of mocking Chris Davis.  Pot/Kettle. 

That wasn't me mocking Davis. We all basically agree he won't last the length of the contract. I wanted to see what people thought on the board about timing. I've been one of the board's biggest Davis supporters/apologists. 

I cringed every time he got booed yesterday. I feel terrible for the guy. If mocking Davis is literally the ONLY joy you get out of this season? I would question that. 

I'm not trying to insult you. Sometimes you can be a good poster when you ease up on the bitterness. I don't know why you slip into these dark posts like this. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

That wasn't me mocking Davis. We all basically agree he won't last the length of the contract. I wanted to see what people thought on the board about timing. I've been one of the board's biggest Davis supporters/apologists. 

I cringed every time he got booed yesterday. I feel terrible for the guy. If mocking Davis is literally the ONLY joy you get out of this season? I would question that. 

I'm not trying to insult you. Sometimes you can be a good poster when you ease up on the bitterness. I don't know why you slip into these dark posts like this. 

This isn't a dark post.  You are the one that is dark wanting him DFA'd so badly.  Most likely once Davis leaves the Orioles we will probably never hear from him again.  He still is getting the fancy catered food, the 5 star hotels, the private airplanes.  If he didn't have the contract he had he would be released last season.  He would be wherever Tillman is right now. 

Everyone ganged up on poor Tillman last year when it was clear that he wore out his shoulder winning games for us.  At least he was making an effort. Pitching in every minor league park in the system.   Davis can't even be bothered to bunt.  

If we were trying to win I would want Davis off the team badly.  But with a bunch of rule 5 guys, Triple A cast-offs, and Waiver claims I don't think it really matters whether he is on the team or not. 

Just now, atomic said:

This isn't a dark post.  You are the one that is dark wanting him DFA'd so badly.  Most likely once Davis leaves the Orioles we will probably never hear from him again.  He still is getting the fancy catered food, the 5 star hotels, the private airplanes.  If he didn't have the contract he had he would be released last season.  He would be wherever Tillman is right now. 

Everyone ganged up on poor Tillman last year when it was clear that he wore out his shoulder winning games for us.  At least he was making an effort. Pitching in every minor league park in the system.   Davis can't even be bothered to bunt.  

If we were trying to win I would want Davis off the team badly.  But with a bunch of rule 5 guys, Triple A cast-offs, and Waiver claims I don't think it really matters whether he is on the team or not. 

Right. Next year is when I think results will matter enough that management no longer willl want to deal with Davis. But I've been wrong before. Maybe some teammates start to complain if Davis isnt hitting by mid May or something. 

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Right. Next year is when I think results will matter enough that management no longer willl want to deal with Davis. But I've been wrong before. Maybe some teammates start to complain if Davis isnt hitting by mid May or something. 

Mid-May?  Of this year or 2020?

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think we all would prefer him to be off the roster. That's just the logical and inevitable baseball reality.

That doesn't mean I'm going to get joy out his failures which exactly what you said you are doing. I'm just calling out that specific part of what you said, that's all. 

While I still love Chris Davis, I no longer feel sorry for him.  He says he is more frustrated than anyone, yet he has done absolutely nothing to make a positive change.  Not only does he not bunt, he doesn't even square up to draw the third baseman over.  Yesterday in his third at bat, O's down by one, man on first with no outs, AND the defense shifted on him, he STILL made no attempt to get the runner over and instead took his third strike out of the game.  If he is truly as frustrated as he states, then why do we see the same lousy, lazy at bats every time up?  

I felt bad for him getting booed, and I felt bad when 40 thousand people cheered Alberto pinch hitting for him, but I don't feel sorry for him feeling sorry for himself.  He's a good guy, but if he's unwilling to change, than he needs to be benched or released, plain and simple.  He's putting Hyde in a bad position of having to pinch hit for him and make him look bad on Opening Day.

I tend to agree a little with those who say "this is a lost season, why does it matter?"  Except for the fact that to Cisco, and Hayes, and Diaz, and Mountcastle, and anyone else who is trying to earn their way up to the big league team, it DOES matter quite a bit.  And human nature is they are gonna start to get ticked if they are held down while Davis continues to get at bats and put up lackluster results.  

9 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

While I still love Chris Davis, I no longer feel sorry for him.  He says he is more frustrated than anyone, yet he has done absolutely nothing to make a positive change.  Not only does he not bunt, he doesn't even square up to draw the third baseman over.  Yesterday in his third at bat, O's down by one, man on first with no outs, AND the defense shifted on him, he STILL made no attempt to get the runner over and instead took his third strike out of the game.  If he is truly as frustrated as he states, then why do we see the same lousy, lazy at bats every time up?  

Palmer even said something about that.  "He could easily lay one down but he doesn't even know, or practice, bunting." (to that effect)

21 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Davis mentioned that no other players were down on him until Palmer started talking about how Davis didn't practice during the off-season. Probably a lot of contention on the club last year.  Machado playing short because he wanted to and Davis clean-up every game.  

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Davis mentioned that no other players were down on him until Palmer started talking about how Davis didn't practice during the off-season. Probably a lot of contention on the club last year.  Machado playing short because he wanted to and Davis clean-up every game.  

Davis batted cleanup 6 times last year.   

1st - 5

4th - 6

5th - 73

6th - 26

7th - 18

DNP - 34

To share my theory about CD would be to slander based on suspicion, which would be unfair. But it’s pretty common in life that the simplest theory is the correct one. 

What i I will say is that given my theory about how we got to this place with CD, there is no reason to expect that any amount of time will allow for a productive return on the remainder of his contract, nor will we have the opportunity to reduce the financial loss we’re committed to. 

Davis was a blast to watch for a short time. What we’re watching now is just sad. Move on. 

Archived