Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

It's up to the Orioles to just stop putting him in the lineup. Obviously, that's not Davis's decision to make and there's no urgency to it until it becomes a hindrance to the major-league career of one of the prospects.

Sadly I don’t think any real prospects push him until after June 1 next year If the current rules stay in place. 

The called three strikes are really bad. That points out to me that he knows he’s done, and he’s just trying to not flail away up there. At least go down swinging. 

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

It's up to the Orioles to just stop putting him in the lineup. Obviously, that's not Davis's decision to make and there's no urgency to it until it becomes a hindrance to the major-league career of one of the prospects.

He's on track to have his least amount of plate appearances since 2011, for what it's worth. 

He has no incentive to retire, he can just wait it out until we cut him and then he will be effectively be retired and set for life for the rest of it.  He'll even get a salary for years to come.    Would you do what he is doing for a million dollars a year?   I would.  How about multi millions a year and then deferred money for years after?    The only reason he would retire is honor - and I don't think he has that level of it. 

9 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Would you do what he is doing for a million dollars a year?   I would.  How about multi millions a year and then deferred money for years after?    The only reason he would retire is honor - and I don't think he has that level of it. 

Not if I already had $118M accumulated earnings (plus whatever profits he has made on investments and endorsements). If I was burnt out at my job, I would certainly leave money on the table to spend time with family and go fishing, as well as to avoid continued daily frustration and humiliation. I have to think there is a happy medium between 0 and the $70M (plus deferred salary) that he is owed that he agrees to leave on the table.

The Jets kicker just left $2M on the table with a lot less financial security than Chris Davis.

52 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

After we go to a 26-man active roster next year, you won't even notice him there at the end of the bench.

o

Perhaps not, but whether the Orioles bench him, play him, or outright release him, the money owed to him for his contract will continue to loom over the Orioles' heads, like a black cloud. In fact, those black clouds/frustrations have already been looming for several years now. Those types of failing contracts affect mid-market and small-market teams exponentially, as it factors into other major decisions that need to be made. This is the risk that these teams/franchises take when they ante up for an expensive, long-term contract ........ perennially large-market/large-payroll teams like the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Red Sox can afford to (literally and figuratively) simply swat aside failing/underachieving large/long-term failing contracts like pesky fleas.

o

Chris Davis should be committed to a psych ward if he quits and leaves all that money on the table. He didn't put a gun to the Orioles head to give him this contract so he's not the one the fans should be upset with. It's ownership's fault. It's also ownership's fault that they won't just admit the mistake and send him home.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not if I already had $118M accumulated earnings (plus whatever profits he has made on investments and endorsements). If I was burnt out at my job, I would certainly leave money on the table to spend time with family and go fishing, as well as to avoid continued daily frustration and humiliation. I have to think there is a happy medium between 0 and the $70M (plus deferred salary) that he is owed that he agrees to leave on the table.

The Jets kicker just left $2M on the table with a lot less financial security than Chris Davis.

The Jets kicker example is a poor comparison.  Its just a comparison of honor I guess, but its two different sports, two different positions, two different sums of money, different guarantees on that money, different timeframe for getting that money.  

9 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

In principle, Davis and the Orioles could negotiate a buyout--Davis agrees to retire and the O's agree to pay him some fraction of what he is owed.  The only reason Davis would want to do this is that he could spend more time with his family and be spared the indignity of continuing to play poorly.   

Otherwise, the O's either have to cut him and pay him every penny, or keep him around and pay him every penny.  

What does that mean?  Spend more time with the family?  That gets old rather quickly.  Scenario would be like parent wants to see young kid.  Puts on lap and bounces up and down.  After about a minute, "That's enough. Get off'.  You can only take so much.  One can look at that like Davis and the O's.  They're a family, right?  "We've had enough of you, CD. ..."

gxkK26K.gif

Just now, MongoBoy said:

What does that mean?  Spend more time with the family?  That gets old rather quickly.  Scenario would be like parent wants to see young kid.  Puts on lap and bounces up and down.  After about a minute, "That's enough. Get off'.  You can only take so much.  One can look at that like Davis and the O's.  They're a family, right?  "We've had enough of you, CD. ..."

gxkK26K.gif

I don't know, I think spending time with the family could have legs when you have that kind of money banked. 

I'm bored, OK, lets fly first class to Australia, spend a week or two.

40 minutes ago, vab said:

Chris Davis should be committed to a psych ward if he quits and leaves all that money on the table. He didn't put a gun to the Orioles head to give him this contract so he's not the one the fans should be upset with. It's ownership's fault. It's also ownership's fault that they won't just admit the mistake and send him home.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he leave all $70M on the table. The Orioles have no leverage so any discount they can get will be a bonus. If I am the Orioles I start with a $60M buyout offer and settle on $65M if he takes it. $5M is better than nothing for the Orioles, and a small price for Davis to pay to enjoy golf and other games he is actually good at.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know, I think spending time with the family could have legs when you have that kind of money banked. 

I'm bored, OK, lets fly first class to Australia, spend a week or two.

And bring the nanny so they can leave the kids with her.?