MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

This was an interesting artivle. 

He put his right hand on the bill of his gray Seattle Sounders FC 2019 MLS Cup champions hat. He sipped his beverage. He looked briefly at the television in a sports bar called “The Ninety,” an aptly named soccer hub near CenturyLink Field. It was about 75 minutes before his team — the defending champion — would face the Columbus Crew on an achingly beautiful Saturday night, a respite from winter’s gloom. For the 48-year-old carpenter, this was just routine March entertainment and bonding time with his adult son, Luke. But in an area regarded as the U.S. epicenter of a novel coronavirus outbreak, the typical act somehow felt extraordinary, awkward and maybe even dangerous.

Why are you outside having fun? For many, the worth of public enjoyment is a question now in Washington state as the vicious covid-19 disease claims more victims. The local death toll had climbed to 18 as of Sunday night, and the total cases here surpassed 100. Worldwide, there are now more than 100,000 reported cases and more than 3,000 deaths.

Sports are usually about diversion, fellowship and, above all, joy. There’s some trivial pain involved, too, particularly when your team loses. But for the most part, there’s no real suffering. There’s no real anything. You just relish the ability to get worked up over the blessed inconsequential spectacle of it all. It’s a wonderful shelter, but it’s not impenetrable. As the coronavirus spreads worldwide, sports cannot be the escape it is known to be.

As he walked through the stadium Saturday, Tomozawa heard positive feedback. The fans who attended were enthusiastic. The precautionary measures, such as extra hand sanitizers and embedded tips to reduce risk for contracting coronavirus into every aspect of the game presentation, could not be ignored. The soccer was good for an early-season game. The Sounders left, at least for the night, without any bad news.

“One of the things people would say was: ‘Thank you for hosting this event tonight. It gave us and our city something to cheer about,’ ” Tomozawa recalled.

Here in the U.S. epicenter of the outbreak, sports managed to be sports Saturday night. In this time of health crisis, it seemed more remarkable than routine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-seattle-a-soccer-match-during-the-coronavirus-feels-both-routine-and-extraordinary/2020/03/08/53292550-60c6-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html

6 minutes ago, weams said:

So if you have a cough. Stay home. You have no test to assure that you are safe, so don't expose others.  This is not opinion. 

Also not opinion are washing hands regularly.  I have found myself doing just that.  I'm not about to change my daily routine though and I'm not about to apologize for it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, weams said:

So if you have a cough. Stay home. You have no test to assure that you are safe, so don't expose others.  This is not opinion. 

Yeah definitely if you have a cough or a fever do not go out into public.

I was reading how in Italy they have a shortage of blood.  If you are eligible to donate blood it would be great if you could donate before the virus takes off.

• Upvote 1

Merkel's advice is stop shaking hands "but instead look into each others' eyes for a second longer & smile"

in the US this might get you beaten up. ?

Also if you are sick and want to be tested, it is very very hard to get a test at the moment. I know from personal experience. Sad part is you don't want to get someone in the high risk part of the population really sick but you are not sure if you might be spreading the disease. 

This is Missouri as of yesterday. 

The only way Missouri will allow a person to be tested is if they meet this criteria: *They have been to one of a few high-risk countries (Italy, China, etc.) *They've had contact with someone who has tested positive for #COVID19

1 minute ago, orioles119 said:

Also not opinion are washing hands regularly.  I have found myself doing just that.  I'm not about to change my daily routine though and I'm not about to apologize for it.

I am sure many of you have been to Oriole games and gone to the bathroom,you see many people not washing their hands and going right out.Even in a regular time this should be done because it helps with the regular flu also. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Merkel's advice is stop shaking hands "but instead look into each others' eyes for a second longer & smile"

in the US this might get you beaten up. ?

Also if you are sick and want to be tested, it is very very hard to get a test at the moment. I know from personal experience. Sad part is you don't want to get someone in the high risk part of the population really sick but you are not sure if you might be spreading the disease. 

This is Missouri as of yesterday. 

The only way Missouri will allow a person to be tested is if they meet this criteria: *They have been to one of a few high-risk countries (Italy, China, etc.) *They've had contact with someone who has tested positive for #COVID19

The smiling and looking into the eyes might get you a date.

The second part is absurd.  Great article in the NY Times about how Washington State lab tested after being threatened several times  by CDC to stop. 

5 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Are you under 50?  You should think about older people you could potentially spread this disease to.  A lot of older members on this forum.   And I am sure a few of them have health related issues.  Changing your behavior to help others is a strong quality not a weak one. 

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons why i can't get my Mom tested as of yesterday. This is the head of CDC so hopefully is a fact. 

the CDC director concedes U.S. labs likely don't have adequate materials to actually perform the first part of the #COVID19 test & has no idea how CDC would deal with that scarcity: "I don’t know the answer to that question"

CDC Director Robert Redfield told POLITICO on Tuesday that he is not confident that U.S. labs have an adequate stock of the supplies used to extract genetic material from any virus in a patient’s sample — a critical step in coronavirus testing.

“The availability of those reagents is obviously being looked at,” he said, referring to the chemicals used for preparing samples. “I’m confident of the actual test that we have, but as people begin to operationalize the test, they realize there’s other things they need to do the test.”

The coronavirus task force convened by the White House is also aware of the shortages, and one official said members are working on it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/10/coronavirus-testing-lab-materials-shortage-125212

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

One of the reasons why i can't get my Mom tested as of yesterday. This is the head of CDC so hopefully is a fact. 

the CDC director concedes U.S. labs likely don't have adequate materials to actually perform the first part of the #COVID19 test & has no idea how CDC would deal with that scarcity: "I don’t know the answer to that question"

CDC Director Robert Redfield told POLITICO on Tuesday that he is not confident that U.S. labs have an adequate stock of the supplies used to extract genetic material from any virus in a patient’s sample — a critical step in coronavirus testing.

“The availability of those reagents is obviously being looked at,” he said, referring to the chemicals used for preparing samples. “I’m confident of the actual test that we have, but as people begin to operationalize the test, they realize there’s other things they need to do the test.”

The coronavirus task force convened by the White House is also aware of the shortages, and one official said members are working on it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/10/coronavirus-testing-lab-materials-shortage-125212

I also read that private labs have plenty of that material.   Also WHO offered us tests and we said no.  Maybe going back to them and saying we changed our mind and ask them to send us tests is not a bad idea.  We have donated plenty of money to WHO so why not take their help. 

54 minutes ago, atomic said:

Are you under 50?  You should think about older people you could potentially spread this disease to.  A lot of older members on this forum.   And I am sure a few of them have health related issues.  Changing your behavior to help others is a strong quality not a weak one. 

So you are going on the assumption that everyone is infected.   I have some new headgear for you then...

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat.jpg

As of Wednesday morning, MLB still had neither cancelled nor moved a regular-season game due to the coronavirus outbreak. But that “Wednesday morning” appears in that previous sentence indicates how fluid this situation is.

MLB’s current hope — as first reported by the Wall Street Journal — is to play games with fans in attendance, even if that means switching locales. The preferred method would be to flip-flop cities if at all possible. So, for example, to open the season the Rangers are slated to play at the Mariners. The first choice if the games cannot be played at T-Mobile Park would be to see if the dates are open in the Rangers’ new stadium. MLB would then try to play a series scheduled late in the season for Texas in Seattle, if that proves feasible.

If flip-flopping a series is untenable, the next choices would be either spring training sites or perhaps minor league stadiums. The next would be to play the games without crowds.

At present, MLB is most worried about games in Seattle and California, particularly, northern California. And MLB also knows a lot of the decision-making could be out of its hands. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, for example, is a state-owned building. Thus, if California bans large gatherings then MLB will have to audible off of that decision.

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

As of Wednesday morning, MLB still had neither cancelled nor moved a regular-season game due to the coronavirus outbreak. But that “Wednesday morning” appears in that previous sentence indicates how fluid this situation is.

MLB’s current hope — as first reported by the Wall Street Journal — is to play games with fans in attendance, even if that means switching locales. The preferred method would be to flip-flop cities if at all possible. So, for example, to open the season the Rangers are slated to play at the Mariners. The first choice if the games cannot be played at T-Mobile Park would be to see if the dates are open in the Rangers’ new stadium. MLB would then try to play a series scheduled late in the season for Texas in Seattle, if that proves feasible.

If flip-flopping a series is untenable, the next choices would be either spring training sites or perhaps minor league stadiums. The next would be to play the games without crowds.

At present, MLB is most worried about games in Seattle and California, particularly, northern California. And MLB also knows a lot of the decision-making could be out of its hands. The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, for example, is a state-owned building. Thus, if California bans large gatherings then MLB will have to audible off of that decision.

Its also not just MLB, but every public event holder, is having to think about what they should do.

• Upvote 1