Who should be the O's leadoff hitter?

wildcard

About that debate, it seemed to me that neither candidate displayed much faith in OBP--they were both swinging for the fences. The main difference is that one promised a big first inning from a lineup filled with free-agent boppers while the other fights to change the rules enough to encourage historically huge late-inning comebacks by journeymen and teenage prospects.

Little did the latter know that the ex-commish had Ford-Frickin' aligned the whole league against him. They even accused him of a bias toward Cuban players and fans of Dennis Martinez.

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Hays had a .373 OBP in limited time last year. His job to lose. At some point he will slump and we will see Alberto, Urias/Velazquez, Iglesias, Santander etc. None of these guys is a "prototypical leadoff hitter."

And a .327 career OBP in the minors.  His career high for walks in a calendar year is 25.  He basically has Adam Jones' plate discipline. 

But we don't have much else available.

I like Hanser Alberto for leadoff.

He bat lead off in 48 games last season.  In those games he hit .349/.364/.472/.836.   That's a better AVG, OBP, SLG, and OPS than his season totals.  I feel like he'd bring more confidence and experience to this spot than Hays or Mason Williams.  Plus, I feel like Hays has (potentially) more pop and could bat a little lower in the order. 

I think the Os don't have any ideal leadoff hitters on their roster. DJ Stewart has shown the ability to take a walk, a little power, and some speed. I also think he has shown the ability to hit at the ML level as much as Austin Hays, who IMO should be lower in the lineup (like 5th or 6th). Aberto could be a good second or third hitter.