Orioles Sign Heston Kjerstad

weams

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Servideo may actually be one of the picks I'm most excited about. He had an 18% BB rate in college, plays good defense up the middle by all accounts, and looks like he might have the tools to be a 20 HR-20 SB guy

He's the ultimate SSS Theater player.  He was very unimpressive offensively with no power until this season - where he was like the College POY for the short period of time.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

He's the ultimate SSS Theater player.  He was very unimpressive offensively with no power until this season - where he was like the College POY for the short period of time.  

FWIW, that 18% college BB rate is the total of all college seasons, including 2018 and 2019. It's buoyed by 2020 ( 27.6%), but the other two seasons were certainly respectable (8.5% and 18.0%, respectively). Also, the speed component was always there.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

FWIW, that 18% college BB rate is the total of all college seasons, including 2018 and 2019. It's buoyed by 2020 ( 27.6%), but the other two seasons were certainly respectable (8.5% and 18.0%, respectively). Also, the speed component was always there.

Good points, but he was still a bad to mediocre overall hitter until 2020.  Remember, the scouting reports said he was really bad with the wooden bats in the Cape Cod League.  I agree with you on everything else about him. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cool, he's a natural righty, switch hitter through all of HS.  

What's this in reference to?

I would add that it's not super rare for lefty batters to throw (and I assume write, open doors, etc.) right-handed. Chris Davis and Chance Sisco, for example. Keeps the left side of the IF and catcher as an option too.

What is extremely rare is the opposite (pretty sure the O's had one of those guys recently (EDIT: it was/is Joey Rickard)

11 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What's this in reference to?

I would add that it's not super rare for lefty batters to throw (and I assume write, open doors, etc.) right-handed. Chris Davis and Chance Sisco, for example. Keeps the left side of the IF and catcher as an option too.

What is extremely rare is the opposite (pretty sure the O's had one of those guys recently (EDIT: it was/is Joey Rickard)

Kjerstad.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kjerstad.

Right.

Just seemed like you were reacting to something (potentially new information). Or perhaps I'm the only one who read it that way.

I believe every profile/scouting report has listed him as Bat L/Throw R (with maybe one that had him listed as Bat S, but that may have been dated.

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Did Elias's hair get significantly whiter? Has he been reading the post-draft OH threads?

Also, looking like he hasn't shaved before is a great sign of physical upside ;) 

I remember when my cousin was 14-15, his sisters were teasing him about not needing to shave, and he replied “studies show that men who shave earlier die earlier.”    I doubt he knew what he was talking about, but it shut his sisters up immediately.   

On 6/30/2020 at 5:13 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think teams can go into the draft and just pick the top player on their board every round.

I find this post very interesting. Why do you think this. I didn't see where you expanded on this so I am sorry if you did.