9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Nobody suggested sitting on the bench with the O's.  

If Diaz were promoted he would be competing with Hays, Santander, and likely Mountcastle (plus Smith Jr and potentially Mason Williams or DJ Stewart). Barring injury I don't know how he plays every day. If one of the above does sit or slide to DH I don't know how that helps the team. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If Diaz were promoted he would be competing with Hays, Santander, and likely Mountcastle (plus Smith Jr and potentially Mason Williams or DJ Stewart). Barring injury I don't know how he plays every day. If one of the above does sit or slide to DH I don't know how that helps the team. 

Diaz in RF, Hays CF, Santander LF, Núñez DH, Mountcastle 1B

1 minute ago, VaBird1 said:

I'd prefer Mountcastle prove he can't play LF before he goes to 1B. Diaz I hope has an opportunity to play his way on the team next year, realistically it's probably not happening this year. I'm fine getting more data on whether Santander, Hays, and Nunez can hit enough to be regulars.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

That could be the lineup against lefties, with Mullins or Velazquez spelling Hays against tough lefties.

If you feel the need to have Chris Davis and/or Stewart in the lineup, one of Nunez, Santander, Mountcastle or Diaz could rotate sitting against righties and Mountcastle could get time in left when Diaz or Santander sits.

Diaz could play center in a pinch but you would probably prefer Mullins or Velazquez when Hays needs a day off.

Realistically, I don't expect to see Diaz this year, which if nothing else at least should get Mountcastle more time in the outfield when he is called up.

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That should be a non-issue.  There should be plenty of at bats for everyone that matters.  Smith obviously doesn't matter, and there's no reason for them to favor Williams or Stewart with at bats over Diaz - zippy - none.        

38 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

That could be the lineup against lefties, with Mullins or Velazquez spelling Hays against tough lefties.

If you feel the need to have Chris Davis and/or Stewart in the lineup, one of Nunez, Santander, Mountcastle or Diaz could rotate sitting against righties and Mountcastle could get time in left when Diaz or Santander sits.

Diaz could play center in a pinch but you would probably prefer Mullins or Velazquez when Hays needs a day off.

Realistically, I don't expect to see Diaz this year, which if nothing else at least should get Mountcastle more time in the outfield when he is called up.

I'd prefer to play Mountcastle at 1B.  Playing Davis at all is crazy - he's been the single worst player in MLB the last 2 or 3 years - setting all kinds of records for putridity.  That's a thing - because of Chris Davis.    

22 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

I hope that when they get absolutely shit all for Bleier we revisit this to note that we made an already shit team worse for no real reason

No reason for this team to pay a 33 year-old reliever more than the minimum.

Best case scenario the O's will be competitive in 2022 at which point Bleier will be 35 and in his third and final year of arbitration and thus unlikely to have any surplus value.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'd prefer to play Mountcastle at 1B.  Playing Davis at all is crazy - he's been the single worst player in MLB the last 2 or 3 years - setting all kinds of records for putridity.  That's a thing - because of Chris Davis.    

Mountcastle should have the opportunity to play outfield. I don't care about Davis but I don't see the rush on Diaz when he can still get intrasquad reps without costing service time or holding back anyone else's development.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Mountcastle should have the opportunity to play outfield. I don't care about Davis but I don't see the rush on Diaz when he can still get intrasquad reps without costing service time or holding back anyone else's development.

Getting defensive reps at any position is what you can do in intrasquad games at any level.  Offensive reps - I don't buy it.