Mancini, Santander to exchange arbitration figures with O’s today

Frobby

In addition to the J15 international festivities today, it’s also the deadline for the O’s to exchange arbitration figures with Trey Mancini and Anthony Santander.    I believe the deadline is 1 pm.   So, lots to talk about today!

I will be shocked if the O’s and Mancini don’t come to terms before the deadline.   There’s a long history of players who miss the season essentially staying at the same salary the next year, with maybe a $50-100 k raise in some cases. 

Santander could be more interesting.   Using two different methodologies, MLBTR has him at $1.7 mm and $3.0 mm.   The O’s essentially split the difference between the two methods with Severino, so we could see something similar here.   Maybe a settlement in the $2.3 - 2.5 mm range.   

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

So how much is Santander worth?

In his pro career (including signing bonus) he's made just over $2 million. That's his net worth...

Seriously, MLBTradeRumors projected Santander’s salary to rise from $572,500 to $1.7 million.

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

In his pro career (including signing bonus) he's made just over $2 million. That's his net worth...

Seriously, MLBTradeRumors projected Santander’s salary to rise from $572,500 to $1.7 million.

1.7 for a 2-3 WAR player is a great value...even for a 1-2 WAR player.

It is such a great value that the new CBA is going to change it I am sure.

We should only trade Santander at this time if we get a stunning return, and no one is going to pay it.

Santander is a Super 2, so this is his first of four arbitration eligible seasons. Because the previous salary is a factor in deciding the next year's salary in arbitration, the difference between a few $100K this year is amplified. Wouldn't be surprised to see this go to a hearing, even over a relatively small difference in figures.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Santander is a Super 2, so this is his first of four arbitration eligible seasons. Because the previous salary is a factor in deciding the next year's salary in arbitration, the difference between a few $100K this year is amplified. Wouldn't be surprised to see this go to a hearing, even over a relatively small difference in figures.

This is of course correct, but here's where I'd say if we triple the deltas each of the final arb years

2021: 250K

2022: 750K

2023: 2.25M

Maybe 2024 becomes significant, but that's also my tap out level where for a $5M delta across 3 years (if you throw another 50% atop that), I'm agnostic except for the part about having good players.   I hope he earns $11M not $7M for 2023.

Everyone will have their view by then if MLB's OPS+ of revenues is 50, 100 or 125.

20 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

This is of course correct, but here's where I'd say if we triple the deltas each of the final arb years

2021: 250K

2022: 750K

2023: 2.25M

Maybe 2024 becomes significant, but that's also my tap out level where for a $5M delta across 3 years (if you throw another 50% atop that), I'm agnostic except for the part about having good players.   I hope he earns $11M not $7M for 2023.

Everyone will have their view by then if MLB's OPS+ of revenues is 50, 100 or 125.

Thanks for this note, I think nothing can be even extrapolated after this season because of the new CBA. We have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen.

I usually oppose long-term extensions, And I’m not sure we have anybody on the team who warrants one yet, but if we did, now would be the time.