The battles I want to see in ST

wildcard

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I think we're splitting hairs there.  It's likely that Hays, Santander, and Diaz are better defenders than Stewart.  I think it's also likely that Mountcastle will be roughly equivalent defensively in left and a better hitter than Stewart.  So, if we were only to keep four outfielders, I'd want one to be a late inning defender with speed.  Mullins fits that better than Stewart.  Also, if Hays is the injury prone player that you're concerned about, your extra outfielder should be able to play CF.  Again, advantage Mullins.  Now, if Davis was gone, you'd have room for a 5th outfielder and could keep both.  Unfortunately, he's not gone.  Up until this year, I don't think the black hole that is Chris Davis was a huge roster problem.  We're now at the point that it is.

Definitely agree about Davis.

And I get the rest of your point and I agree with your premise.  I guess I’m more speaking to the idea of what happens before Diaz gets here.  Once he is here, I would agree with your stance.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that Mullins would be more useful as a fourth outfielder than Stewart since he can enter games as a defensive replacement or pinch runner late in games, and play CF, as well, as the corners.  I think Stewart becomes a left handed Nunez, a DH on a team that is likely to have better, and eventually cheaper, options.

Mullins' roster spot is more secure for this reason, but he isn't going to get more at-bats than Stewart with how the roster is constructed. 

If Diaz is ready midway through the season and Mancini hasn't been traded yet, Stewart could be on the Norfolk shuttle. 

As far as cheaper options, I agree that it is unlikely that Stewart ever sees the arbitration process, we should have clearly better options by 2022 and certainly by 2023 when he would be arbitration eligible.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like better players, advantage Stewart.

I think that both are backups, at best, given the other options we have in the outfield.  There is a place for role players.  I don't agree that Stewart is "better."  He's a better hitter.  He's a worse defender.  He's a worse baserunner.  Depends on what flavor of back up player you want.  If you want your backup outfielder to also DH, Stewart is the better option.  If you want plus defense it's Mullins.  

Final, point.  Mancini is a better player than Valaika.  But they have different roles.  Mancini could never backup at 2nd, SS and 3rd.  You need to have someone that can do what Valaika does.  You might want someone that can do it better than Valaika, but that person isn't Mancini.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NCRaven said:

I think that both are backups, at best, given the other options we have in the outfield.  There is a place for role players.  I don't agree that Stewart is "better."  He's a better hitter.  He's a worse defender.  He's a worse baserunner.  Depends on what flavor of back up player you want.  If you want your backup outfielder to also DH, Stewart is the better option.  If you want plus defense it's Mullins.  

By better I mean more valuable given commonly accepted metrics.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I expect him to hit better vs RHP batting left-handed than he did batting right-handed.  Lefthanded is his natural side.   

If he hits for a 310 OBP he will be a backup, defensive outfielder.   But that is not where I see this going.

Huh?   He has always batted left handed vs RHP.   This will not change at all.   He is giving up RH hitting vs lefties.   

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I expect him to hit better vs RHP batting left-handed than he did batting right-handed.  Lefthanded is his natural side.   

If he hits for a 310 OBP he will be a backup, defensive outfielder.   But that is not where I see this going.

You mean LHP, I assume.   Yes, hopefully he can do better than his career .250 OBP vs. LHP now that he’s given up switch hitting.   But it’s pretty doubtful he’ll be over .300, especially in his first season of batting left on left.   

You may see him putting up an OBP over .310, but you should recognize you’re out there on an island.   I hope you are right, of course, but it will surprise me.   I’ve been surprised before.   

42 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that Mullins would be more useful as a fourth outfielder than Stewart since he can enter games as a defensive replacement or pinch runner late in games, and play CF, as well, as the corners.  I think Stewart becomes a left handed Nunez, a DH on a team that is likely to have better, and eventually cheaper, options.

Stewart has no value except as a hitter. Unless he’s AMAZING with the bat, we don’t need him as a full-time DH. Rather see Mc and Mancini handle 1B/DH duties, and have a real left fielder

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

2019- Nope

2018- Nope

2017- Nope

2016- Nope

2015- Nope

2014- Nope

2013- Bingo, 667 for Machado.

The last time an Oriole hitter had 660 at bats was 2013.

I didn't say a batter.  I said  lead off batters.  If you add up the # of at bats lead off hitters gets during the season.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You mean LHP, I assume.   Yes, hopefully he can do better than his career .250 OBP vs. LHP now that he’s given up switch hitting.   But it’s pretty doubtful he’ll be over .300, especially in his first season of batting left on left.   

You may see him putting up an OBP over .310, but you should recognize you’re out there on an island.   I hope you are right, of course, but it will surprise me.   I’ve been surprised before.   

Been out of the island before.  Some times it works (Yaz). Sometimes it doesn't.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Stewart has no value except as a hitter. Unless he’s AMAZING with the bat, we don’t need him as a full-time DH. Rather see Mc and Mancini handle 1B/DH duties, and have a real left fielder

That is yet to be seen.   Stewart lost 10-12 lbs.  Seems to be moving a little better this spring.  We will have to wait and see more.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Been out of the island before.  Some times it works (Yaz). Sometimes it doesn't.

Wait a minute....you argued Yaz deserved a shot in spring training.   I don’t think you ever hinted you thought he was as good as he’s been the last two years.    

So give us your forecast for Mullins.   I’ll give you mine: .255/.305/.395.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wait a minute....you argued Yaz deserved a shot in spring training.   I don’t think you ever hinted you thought he was as good as he’s been the last two years.    

So give us your forecast for Mullins.   I’ll give you mine: .255/.305/.395.    

I believe that Mullins has developed as a hitter and will hit like he did as a left-handed hitter last year.

300/350/450/800

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe that Mullins has developed as a hitter and will hit like he did as a left-handed hitter last year.

300/350/450/800

Well, we’re only 100 points apart on OPS.   

I think you’re dreaming, but will root for you to be more right than wrong.   Honestly I feel anything over .700 makes him a pretty decent player due to his defense.   

• Upvote 1