Dean Kremer 2021

Il BuonO

That was the best I’ve seen Kremer this year.   Threw a good strike percentage (65%) and stayed ahead of the hitters for the most part.   He didn’t miss a ton of bats and yielded a lot of fly balls (14 fly outs to 2 ground outs), but there was good life on his fastball and the hitters weren’t squaring it up.   He was pretty pitch efficient at 94 pitches over 6 IP.  Overall, a step in the right direction.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was the best I’ve seen Kremer this year.   Threw a good strike percentage (65%) and stayed ahead of the hitters for the most part.   He didn’t miss a ton of bats and yielded a lot of fly balls (14 fly outs to 2 ground outs), but there was good life on his fastball and the hitters weren’t squaring it up.   He was pretty pitch efficient at 94 pitches over 6 IP.  Overall, a step in the right direction.    

I suspect by the end of the year, a swingstr% of 18% will be average or slightly above for starters or at least very close to it.

If he is missing double digit bats every game, I think that’s acceptable.

20 minutes ago, bobmc said:

To quibble, ZimmermanN - ? @sportsfan8703.  Good use of the term - moniKer, though !!!  (do you remember when we all played those word games on here?)

Melewski on K-man's night ......

"But Kremers outing was otherwise spotless. He went 6 innings, allowing two hits and one run, while walking 2 and striking out 4. He threw 94 pitches, including 61 four-seam fastballs that topped at 95 mph. He lowered his ERA to 6.43 in his longest outing of the season, topping his previous best of 4 2/3 innings.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/05/dean-kremer-throws-strong-outing-but-os-fall-1-0.html

I love it when K-man does the kick when he gets the punch out !!! )  ?

UNLV%20vs%20New%20Mexico%20Day%203%20(17

o

I thought that there were only 24 students at UNLV ...... the 12 players on the basketball team, and the 12 members of their cheer-leading squad.

o

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Didn’t get a chance to watch, but the high number of fly outs is concerning. How many would’ve been problematic in OPACY?

38 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Didn’t get a chance to watch, but the high number of fly outs is concerning. How many would’ve been problematic in OPACY?

I only saw one, the final out of the fifth inning.   It was a high arcing fly that Hays camped under and caught on the warning track.   In general, there were a lot of lazy flies.   There wasn’t a ball I saw that the outfielders had to run full out to reach.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Their field is pretty similar to OPACY all around except left CF. 378 to our 364. I can remember at least one there on the warning track that might have been trouble.

Most of them were cans of corn to Ced in CF.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just hope it's an outing he can build on and have a similar performance next time out.  Don't want to see him regress to what he was doing earlier this year in his previous starts.

Seemed like he was trusting his stuff a little more yesterday.

Melewski had a quote FYI:

Kremer on his outing: “I feel like the stuff has been the same since the beginning of the season, but today I tried out a different mental game, I guess. And made sure I was staying on the attack and never really backing down from anybody who stepped to the plate.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/05/dean-kremer-throws-strong-outing-but-os-fall-1-0.html

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As noted above from Melewski:

But Kremer’s outing was otherwise spotless. He went six innings, allowing two hits and one run with two walks and four strikeouts. He threw 94 pitches, including 61 four-seam fastballs that topped at 95 mph. He lowered his ERA to 6.43 in his longest outing of the season, topping his previous best of 4 2/3 innings.

24 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Melewski had a quote FYI:

Kremer on his outing: “I feel like the stuff has been the same since the beginning of the season, but today I tried out a different mental game, I guess. And made sure I was staying on the attack and never really backing down from anybody who stepped to the plate.”

Yeah, he's gotta stay on the attack.  IIRC, that's when the lightbulb went on for Bedard.  I think Bedard has better pure stuff than Kremer for sure, but Kremer's stuff is pretty good.  Dude just needs to keep attacking.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I only saw one, the final out of the fifth inning.   It was a high arcing fly that Hays camped under and caught on the warning track.   In general, there were a lot of lazy flies.   There wasn’t a ball I saw that the outfielders had to run full out to reach.  

I was watching Mullins, and I never saw him have to take more than two or three steps in any direction to catch a ball. I was very worried about the ball that Mountcastle caught, but fortunately it was long and high and straight.

The spin on his fastball and curveball was a bit better, but his cutter was not great last night and he's still getting hit too hard overall. They averaged 92.5 MPH EV off him last night despite the one run and lack of hits, and that has been a problem form him as he's in the 2% percentile in all of MLB for EV, 1% percentile for Mav EV, and 6th percentile in hard hit %.

Last night was a step but it wasn't a huge step since he got a little lucky with guys hitting balls deep and hit but too high.

• 2 weeks later...